• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the show being "sold out," I walked up to the box office at abt 7pm and was able to score an orchestra seat, row k, dead-center.

Very nice indeed. There were other empty seats in the vicinity.

Despite the show being "sold out," I walked up to the box office at abt 7pm and was able to score an orchestra seat, row k, dead-center.

That's funny. I was also in row K, left-center, and there was an empty one next to me. Plus some empties in J. Row K had some antsy folks. Hardly a song went by without someone walking past me for a smoke break or something.

My fifth time seeing them since April and definitely the weakest of the shows.

We started out on the lawn, but the people around us wouldn't stop yammering -- LOUDLY -- so we moved to the pavilion, where the sound is so, so much better.

I don't know if it's the greater DC area or what, but I never seem to have the great concert experiences I have elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I love the band and I enjoyed the show even if the setlist was a little blah for me. The venue is fantastic and it was a beautiful night. I just wish the audience in general seemed a bit more appreciative of the band and considerate of those around them.

Does anyone know any of the songs Conor did & how long he played for? I was curious what his sets were going to look like.

Not tremendously familiar with his material, but he played about 40 minutes last night. On around 7:55 and off about 8:35. I know he played Cape Canaveral and closed with Hospital Song. Like I said, not all that familiar with his stuff and haven't heard the new MVB record yet (though I assume a bulk of the set was from that album).

Oberst and company played: Danny Callahan, NYC-Gone Gone, Souled Out, Cape Canaveral, Moab, Nikorette, Spoiled, I Don't Want To Die...and a couple others that are slipping my mind right now.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I'd expected he'd play based on his show at Toads Place last Friday.

It's not even that! It's as if he almost grasps English ... but not quite.

Which doesn't have anything to do with the show. It's a shame when curfew cuts into things, I know. It's probably tough with an outdoor (?) venue close to a residential area.

It's honestly like he's NEVER been to a concert before. He fails as a music critic. And he may be a VC member.

I was pleasantly surprised by Conor Oberst. I have not liked any of the Bright Eyes stuff that I've heard, but a good portion of his set was alright. Save for that "Cape Canaveral" song, which was kinda cruddy.

Also, can anyone confirm that he warmed up for the set by throwing rocks into the river with his "pa"?

How to Fight Loneliness!!! Nice

YES... very nice!!! I was beyond thrilled when they started playing because I voted for that song a shit-load of times since the end of April! Funny thing is I think when Jeff said 36 people voted, I think I was the one who voted all those times! I voted myself and under my name about 20 or more times, then I voted on behalf of my friends and family a bunch more times after that. As you can tell, I really wanted to hear that song and I'm so glad it was played!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH WILCO!!!!!

This being my first show ever, I had a really great experience. I had tried unsuccessfully to get to a few of their shows in the past, and decided that this might be a great show. The venue looked awesome and I had no problem listening from the parking lot in case I didn't get a ticket. Luckily I picked up a Loge ticket from a very nice young couple right before 8PM after waiting on a guy from Craigslist that was a bust.

Did you actually purchase this ticket at the box office? I knew they had a few available for sale, even though it was "sold out" I found this out later, after already buying my ticket.

I'm sure most of you guys have seen it live more than once but I was absolutely blown away by Nels' energy and sound during the Impossible Germany solo, he totally rips it up. I really like the new album a lot and you could tell they we're having a lot of fun playing those songs, they had a good cohesiveness on stage throughout the show, but in the beginning Nels wasn't turned up loud enough. I agree with what has been said before that I've skipped over Deeper Down on the album quite a few times. Mostly because I wanted to get to One Wing, which after seeing live, is completely my favorite off the new album.

I came to the show prepared to purchase a poster for 15-20 dollars but spent a little more on the ticket than I had planned to. I tried to get the merch lady to come down on the poster price at the end of the show, it seemed like they had plenty left over. I would like to purchase one now since I have the cash that I didn't at the show, is there anyway I could do that?

There were plenty of songs I would have loved to hear, but most of them were off A.M. so I guess thats a shot in the dark in 2009...

This being my first show ever, I had a really great experience. I had tried unsuccessfully to get to a few of their shows in the past, and decided that this might be a great show. The venue looked awesome and I had no problem listening from the parking lot in case I didn't get a ticket. Luckily I picked up a Loge ticket from a very nice young couple right before 8PM after waiting on a guy from Craigslist that was a bust.

Did you actually purchase this ticket at the box office? I knew they had a few available for sale, even though it was "sold out" I found this out later, after already buying my ticket.

I'm sure most of you guys have seen it live more than once but I was absolutely blown away by Nels' energy and sound during the Impossible Germany solo, he totally rips it up. I really like the new album a lot and you could tell they we're having a lot of fun playing those songs, they had a good cohesiveness on stage throughout the show, but in the beginning Nels wasn't turned up loud enough. I agree with what has been said before that I've skipped over Deeper Down on the album quite a few times. Mostly because I wanted to get to One Wing, which after seeing live, is completely my favorite off the new album.

I came to the show prepared to purchase a poster for 15-20 dollars but spent a little more on the ticket than I had planned to. I tried to get the merch lady to come down on the poster price at the end of the show, it seemed like they had plenty left over. I would like to purchase one now since I have the cash that I didn't at the show, is there anyway I could do that?

There were plenty of songs I would have loved to hear, but most of them were off A.M. so I guess thats a shot in the dark in 2009...

Last night's poster:

http://wilco.kungfustore.com/products/781-goldenrod-poster-wil118

Band was in great form. Would have been nice if they had come on stage BEFORE 9pm, knowing the 11pm curfew was looming...

One other gripe. I've got a good paying job, I bought the CD / Album / T-Shirt / Tote package for $50, I feel it was worth it... I like to get the posters to the shows that I attend. $25 for a show poster now? Is someone kidding me? As I said, I can afford it, but out of some sort of "principles" I just couldn't do it... Anyone else feel this way? Oh yeah, most of the T-Shirts are up to $25 a pop now...

I guess I'm just getting old...

Dude.. ye getting old for sure.. and so am I... Posters at the Phish shows this leg have been $50... and T-Shirts were $37....

Band was in great form. Would have been nice if they had come on stage BEFORE 9pm, knowing the 11pm curfew was looming...

One other gripe. I've got a good paying job, I bought the CD / Album / T-Shirt / Tote package for $50, I feel it was worth it... I like to get the posters to the shows that I attend. $25 for a show poster now? Is someone kidding me? As I said, I can afford it, but out of some sort of "principles" I just couldn't do it... Anyone else feel this way? Oh yeah, most of the T-Shirts are up to $25 a pop now...

I guess I'm just getting old...

not old, just out of touch...those are cheap compared to most bigger bands

If anyone saw the setlist, what songs did they cut out?

They cut Late Greats, Hoodoo and Everlasting Everything. A shame, too, because I've never heard Hoodoo (or much Mermaid stuff in my five or so shows) and I know they haven't played Everlasting much, so that would have been great!

Other than the new songs I think I'd heard everything before at one show or another, so while the setlist was kind of generic I can't ever complain about a Wilco show. I definitely had a good time and the guys did seem to be into it.

Also, I had never been to Wolf Trap before and it's a nice venue. I'll have to catch another show there sometime.

They cut Late Greats, Hoodoo and Everlasting Everything. A shame, too, because I've never heard Hoodoo (or much Mermaid stuff in my five or so shows) and I know they haven't played Everlasting much, so that would have been great!

Other than the new songs I think I'd heard everything before at one show or another, so while the setlist was kind of generic I can't ever complain about a Wilco show. I definitely had a good time and the guys did seem to be into it.

Also, I had never been to Wolf Trap before and it's a nice venue. I'll have to catch another show there sometime.

I agree on the setlist being generic. This is the major complaint I have with Wilco in general. I have seen them 6 or 7 times and I am getting a little tired of seeing many of the same songs over and over. Their catalog is big enough and they tour enough that I think they can provide some more variety. There are some great, great tunes that are not in the rotation enough and I wonder why they feel inclined to play some of the same songs at every show(even though they are great--spreading them out a little bit would make it more exciting)

That being said they put on a very enjoyable show.

As far as the new material -- seeing You Never Know live doesn't change my opinion -- it was easily my least favorite song of the show. On the other hand, One Wing and Deeper Down(really nice performance) were both terrific.

And a little comment concerning Wolftrap -- a great place to see a show. My rule of thumb though is if I really like a band I always get tickets in the pavillion area -- much better sound and the crowd(except the the issue of the season ticket holders who sometimes just show up for everything) is usually much more engaged. The lawn area is better if I think the act is okay and just want to hang out and picnic on the long and carry in my own food and alcohol.

Last night, Jeff let me play his guitar from the stage. He walked to the front of the stage, handed me his purple guitar pick, and we played Spiders together.

He played the notes, and I picked/strummed.

It was one of the greatest nights of my life.

http://wolftrapinsider.blogspot.com/

That was awesome -- a buddy and I were about 20 rows back on Nels side and we both made that comment that the guy in the front row that Jeff let strum the guitar was doing a helluva a job!

I was about 7 rows behind you to your left. That was awesome, well played.

quote name='abefromanohio' date='09 July 2009 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1247201901' post='1346499']

Last night, Jeff let me play his guitar from the stage. He walked to the front of the stage, handed me his purple guitar pick, and we played Spiders together.

He played the notes, and I picked/strummed.

It was one of the greatest nights of my life.

http://wolftrapinsider.blogspot.com/