Wilco in Judd Apatow's 'Funny People' Trailer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is his 3rd film that he's directed. The marketing people at Sony Pictures wants everyone in America to know that. LOL. It's advertised that way as if to say "for all those people that we duped into thinking that he directed everything that we slapped his name on since 2005 than Ooops we lied to make money." Although those movies produced and sometimes co-written by him like Superbad and Pineapple Express were usually marketed as "FROM" Judd Apatow. But in actuality (as I'm sure mostly everyone knows) Greg Mottola and David Gordon Green directed the 2 films I listed. (End of Unnecessary Public Service Announcement)

Kristofor

PS Maybe Wilco should have had The Album marketed as FROM Judd Apatow ;)

Edit: Quentin Tarantino caused much confusion when they slapped his name on the imported Iron Monkey and Hero. I believe that was a "PRESENTS" title they attached to the movie. It upset the film geek in me when people left Hero and said such things like "WOW!!!! Tarantino is so fucking awesome..he can do anything!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, really surprised Wilco would license there music for crap like this. Very disappointing.

I'm fearing a Garden State/Shins-esque moment here with this movie's Wilco shout-outs.

As long as they don't talk about Wilco changing anyone's life, I think we are safe from that.

First off, this movie looks like it could be pretty enjoyable. I'm a bit of a Seth Rogen fan.

I just worry about the douchebags coming out in full force depending on how many times they talk about Wilco in the film.

anyone see Entourage the other day when Turtle was taking a poll of who would F*#K Seth Rogen? I think Turtle secretly wants to... Me? i would like to just shake his hand for giving Wilco some love on the big screen! :D

pls explain

Well, the Shins name drop in Garden State brought them a rather large amount of publicity, mostly with people who would have never heard of them before.

Anyone mentioned/played in Juno got a pretty large increase in popularity, although short-lived.

Since Seth Rogen also appeals to the bro crowd (people who enjoy Superbad for being "real"), seeing him reference/give props to WIlco will make them do the same. While there's some overlap, I don't think the current WIlco audience is the target demographic for a Sandler/Rogen comedy.

Hence the full force.

This is allegedly the Apatow's crew's Annie Hall, it's been awhile since I've been excited by anything that they've put out and even longer since I've been excited by anything Adam Sandler is in, but I have heard good things.

--Mike

Guest Jules

Since Seth Rogen also appeals to the bro crowd (people who enjoy Superbad for being "real"), seeing him reference/give props to WIlco will make them do the same. While there's some overlap, I don't think the current WIlco audience is the target demographic for a Sandler/Rogen comedy.

Hence the full force.

So, people who might like Rogen/Apatow/Sandler, etc. movies, and hear/see Wilco in this movie, might go out and buy their record(s). Since this "demographic" tends to be made up of douchebags, it would suck if these douchebags ended up going to a Wilco show and annoying you.

How did I do?

So, people who might like Rogen/Apatow/Sandler, etc. movies, and hear/see Wilco in this movie, might go out and buy their record(s). Since this "demographic" tends to be made up of douchebags, it would suck if these douchebags ended up going to a Wilco show and annoying you.

How did I do?

Quite well.

Not just going to concerts, but saying they "like" Wilco. People who think they like any band when they really just like certain songs, or the band's image drive me crazy.

Like I said, I like Seth Rogen, used to like Adam Sandler, and think Apatow has a bit of talent. But knowing the kind of people who think Superbad is the greatest movie ever, the douchebags will see this movie. Sadly, so will I, probably.

Guest Jules

Not just going to concerts, but saying they "like" Wilco. People who think they like any band when they really just like certain songs, or the band's image drive me crazy.

No offense, but this is pretty stupid.