Top 20 Jeff Tweedy Songs

This is admittedly one of my pet peeves, but how can a magazine call itself legitimate and publish something like this?

I'm with you. It's a sign of professionalism as well as credibility. I'm the faculty adviser for our high school newspaper, and even though we're just a dinky 12-page paper that publishes six times a year, our staff would be horrified to let something like that go to print. One of the last things we do before sending it off to the printer is scour each page multiple times for typos, errors, and misspelled names. (We actually check each printed name against the student database just to be sure.) There's really no excuse for lousy editing, especially not for publications that want to be taken seriously.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't really get how a few typos can sink an entire magazine. I see mistakes, plot holes, continuity errors and similar sloppiness in movies all the time, (ones with a lot more money invested and people working on them than an indie publication, no less), and if the movie is generally good and entertaining I don't allow a few mistakes affect my enjoyment of it.

I don't think the analogy holds. Movie stories are cobbled together through a far more complex and intricate process, which therefore makes occasional "mistakes" like continuity errors forgivable. Writing and editing copy, though, is not a complex and intricate process. (Which is why it requires only a single dedicated soul, as opposed to the army working, often at cross purposes, on a movie.) If we want to keep the movie analogy, the equivalent error might be misspelling Tom Cruise's name in the opening credits or having boom mikes visible in every scene. That kind of error is, indeed, inexcusable in a movie that wants to be taken seriously.

Granted, a single typo doesn't sink a magazine. (In fact, when I catch one in a publication like Sight & Sound or even Entertainment Weekly, it sticks out like a sore thumb only because it's so rare.) But frequent typos or glaring errors are indeed a reflection of the publication's professionalism and credibility.

Does this mean typos wreck my enjoyment of a good interview? Not necessarily...

I don't think the analogy holds. Movie stories are cobbled together through a far more complex and intricate process, which therefore makes occasional "mistakes" like continuity errors forgivable. Writing and editing copy, though, is not a complex and intricate process. (Which is why it requires only a single dedicated soul, as opposed to the army working, often at cross purposes, on a movie.) If we want to keep the movie analogy, the equivalent error might be misspelling Tom Cruise's name in the opening credits or having boom mikes visible in every scene. That kind of error is, indeed, inexcusable in a movie that wants to be taken seriously.

Fair enough, although opening credits is more comparable to a typo on the cover a magazine to me (which is obviously way more of a rare occurence.)

Also, it seems odd that with the armies working on movies and television, so many gaffes get through, of the variety of the guy with the left foot injured in one scene and a right foot bandaged in the next. (which was parodied to great affect in Young Frankenstein...) I think the viewing public is just more forgiving of movie / TV errors.

I still don't really get how a few typos can sink an entire magazine. I see mistakes, plot holes, continuity errors and similar sloppiness in movies all the time, (ones with a lot more money invested and people working on them than an indie publication, no less), and if the movie is generally good and entertaining I don't allow a few mistakes affect my enjoyment of it.

Dude, it was a pull quote!

3732331951_25acee147a.jpg

At least you have to give this magazine's editors credit for originality. People are constantly writing "your" when they mean "you are." Much rarer is the elusive "you're" used as a possessive.

Good point there.

#10 - Remember the Mountain Bed - http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/07/the-top-20-jeff-tweedy-songs-10-remember-the-mountain-bed/

I think your link just has too many https in it.

"presumably written at the end of his life" (referring to Guthrie). I guess one can presume, or do some minimal research by checking wikipedia to see that it was written in 1944, a good 23 years before Guthrie passed. That's some crack journalism there.

"presumably written at the end of his life" (referring to Guthrie). I guess one can presume, or do some minimal research by checking wikipedia to see that it was written in 1944, a good 23 years before Guthrie passed. That's some crack journalism there.

Yeah, it's my understanding the stuff written towards the end wasn't quite as poetic.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I do love Please Tell My Brother. Probably belongs on my list actually. Ever since Gun, this guy's list has been pretty solid.

Guest Speed Racer

Ever since Gun, this guy's list has been pretty solid.

His order is way skewed. I cannot fathom putting Sunken Treasure and Laminated Cat before PTMB, not to mention a song Tweedy didn't even write. Overall I've loved all the songs, but really don't understand the order.