Misunderstood

Spiders (Kidsmoke)#

2nd Encore:

The Late Greats

Hoodoo Voodoo*

@-Feist on vocals

*-Feist and Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear on backup vocals and percussion

#- Yo La Tengo played

Overall not a bad show. Yo La Tengo was a bit noisy for my tastes and Wilco's set suffered from the whole "greatest hits" conundrum, considering they played almost the same set in Wilmington. I did enjoy hearing Deeper Down and You and I live for the first time.

Christ. I always thought Jeff's stuff on Spiders was really similar to a lot of Ira Kaplan's solos with Yo La Tengo. I must hear more about that collaboration. The possibilities are unbelievable

After 'Impossible Germany', Jeff told us if we knew the words to the next song to sing along -- at which point he sang the words "Take Me...".

The entire crowd immediately jumped in and sang 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' in its entirety.

As the crowd finished, the band launched into 'Jesus Etc.'.

44 "Nothings" on 'Misunderstood'.

Good crowd, great performance by the band.

Just got in from the show. By far the best of the three stadium shows yet. I'll reflect on it more tomorrow but, Take me out to the ball game before Jesus Etc. was awesome.

Christ. I always thought Jeff's stuff on Spiders was really similar to a lot of Ira Kaplan's solos with Yo La Tengo. I must hear more about that collaboration. The possibilities are unbelievable

I would say that it's not as if Yo La Tengo's presence drastically reshaped the song, but it was the perfect number to have them come out on. And their presence -- Ira on electric guitar, Georgia on maracas/shakers and James on, I believe, Mike's Hammond organ -- definitely seemed to ramp up Wilco's intensity. The song had a little more bite to it than usual, at least to these ears. For the first time in a while, Jeff didn't come into the crowd and have someone strum before the first breakdown.

Jeff introduced YLT as one of the best bands ever -- I think that's what he said -- and said we had gotten our money's worth before they (Wilco) had even come on stage.

I said to someone that YLT probably would fall into the love/hate camp for a good part of the crowd tonight, especially with their 20-minute closing number "The Story of Yo La Tango." Ira at least made a few friends by pulling out a bag with baseballs in it and throwing a few into the crowd, saying that he knew that people came to the ballpark expecting to catch a few foul balls. He was also wearing a Mr. Met T-shirt. :pirate

Here was the YLT setlist that I was able to piece together...could use a little help on the opening song [edit: I found the opener somewhere else, so this setlist is now complete]:

new-Here To Fall

Mr. Tough

We're An American Band

Little Eyes

Autumn Sweater

new-Periodically Double Or Triple

From A Motel 6

new-Nothing To Hide

Tom Courtenay

The Story of Yo La Tango

(I have to say that, on a night when one of Jersey's finest opened the show, it was great to see Jersey boys Mart, Drew and FrOnk all in attendance! :cheers )

And as for the other guest appearances, I must say that Feist on cowbell for Hoodoo Voodoo was a lot of fun! :thumbup

I recorded the whole show, and it should be up on nyctaper.com by tomorrow night at the latest.

Right now, I have a photo of Stan's written setlist and a photo of the big Keyspan logo with YLT on the video screen here: http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=1350

nice dude. i could have gone to this show but was unfortunately busy tonight.

good to know someone recorded it.

44 'nothing's', wow haha.

whats the highest 'nothing' count again, on Misunderstood?

Can't wait to get that recording sir, was planning to go to this, but Coney Island's such a trek from Jersey City. Anyway, what time did the show start/end?

Jersey City to Coney Island Via Staten Island is not so bad. I made it from Coney Island to NJ in 25 minutes! Anyhoo finally after 12 shows I hear my first Hoodoo! That song always escaped me! Great show. New stuff sounds great live! My feebile attempt to get Should Have Been Ashamed played didn't work though through the webpage :hmm

Jeff said I looked sexy. :flirt

I was glad to see three ambulances on standby outside. Thought I might need at least one of them for Bull Black Nova. Spiders was the real killer, though. I should probably be icing.

I guess you ended up finding tickets outside...I was able to score two more fields at $30 a piece earlier in the day...

I recorded the whole show, and it should be up on nyctaper.com by tomorrow night at the latest.

Right now, I have a photo of Stan's written setlist and a photo of the big Keyspan logo with YLT on the video screen here: http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=1350

AWESOME, you guys always do great work. I try to tape any show I go to down here in South Florida so I can appreciate the effort.

Can't wait to hear it.

and for the person who said "greatest hits", I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Any setlist that has ATWYS, Impossible Germany, Spiders and Misunderstood....and I'm Always in Love......is beyond great. Plus being in South Florida we can't be picky.

I'd echo what bbop said -- he nailed the review (as usual). YLT didn't win over many new fans with their opening set. And as my brain was exploding during their last number (The Story of Yo La Tango), it seemed like the majority of the folks around me just wanted them off the stage. A very solid opening set from YLT. Some of these Wilco fans... :ermm

Wilco/Jeff seemed particularly playful and energetic last night. Can't say if that's right, as I haven't seen the band at any other shows on this tour. The stadium was jammed though, and I wonder if the juice of playing in front of that many folks, in NYC no less, got the guys amped up.

Wilco's set was great. There's not much to say except that the band is just on fire. Incredibly tight. I was looking forward to a nod to Woody of some sort, but as the set went on, and Jeff kept getting new electric guitars, I was beginning to wonder. No mention of YLT either, as the set went on. Seemed odd. Then Feist came out. And the guy from Grizzly Bear. Then California Stars was buried between a couple of other songs in the first encore. No mention of Woody. And would it have killed Feist and Mr. Grizzly Bear to learn the words to the songs they were singing up there? Weak.

Then, of course, during the encore, Jeff welcomes one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. Everyone cranes their necks in excitement, and out stumble Ira, Georgia, and James. And as bbop said, Jeff proclaims that we all got our money's worth before Wilco took the stage. Phew. There we go. Into a blistering version of Spiders. I had to bend down to pick up my mind. Seemed like Nels and Jeff tried to get Ira to let loose, but he didn't really. He was the opposite of Pat. Very subdued, with his back to the crowd. Georgia on maracas in the back, and I didn't even see James (I trust he was on the hammond, as bbop said). Wonderful to see those two great bands on stage at the same time, playing the perfect song together. There was nothing in the song to go crazy over, YLT just sort of blended in, but I do think it was a very good version. Jeff hugged Ira and Georgia as they walked off the stage.

Then a few more tunes in the second encore, and a passing reference to the fact that "this song was written a couple of blocks from here." Hoodoo voodoo to close. I would have expected more Mermaid Ave/Woody references, but alas. Was not to be.

A great night.

Can't wait to get that recording sir, was planning to go to this, but Coney Island's such a trek from Jersey City. Anyway, what time did the show start/end?

Hilarious!!!

Kinda bummed I had to give my tix away for this one, but at least my cousin and her friends got to see a great show

Guest Jules

...Wilco's set suffered from the whole "greatest hits" conundrum, considering they played almost the same set in Wilmington.

I assumed you were being over dramatic, but shit, 21 repeats by my count. You're right, almost the same exact set. I thought they had at least been showing a decent amount variety.

It can always be assumed Wilco will play

IATTBYH

Heavy Metal

I'm The Man

Jesus

Hummingbird

Handshake

Late Greats

Spiders

Shot in the Arm

California Stars

and More recently

Face

Impossible

Hate it Here

I have heard these at every single show I have seen of theres since these songs came out...they need a good core setlist shake up...

Here is what an ideal setlist last night would have looked like to me!

Wilco (the song)

Box Full

Too Far Apart

At Least That's What You Said

Bull Black Nova

Either Way

One Wing

Wishful Thinking

Deeper Down

Say You Miss Me

Pot Kettle

Sonny Feeling

Summerteeth

ELT

Nothingsever

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Outta Site

Poor Places

1st Encore:

Blue Eyed Soul

You And I@

Feed of Man

You Never Know*

Misunderstood

County Dissapeared

2nd Encore:

I'll Fight

On and On

Hoodoo Voodoo*

come on folks, they played 6-7 songs from the new album, so that's a bunch of songs right there that you've never seen. The majority of the rest of the set is going to be the standards. That's just how it goes. And even with those standards, I hadn't seen ALTWYS in a long time. And Can't Stand It and Im Always in Love?

come on folks, they played 6-7 songs from the new album, so that's a bunch of songs right there that you've never seen. The majority of the rest of the set is going to be the standards. That's just how it goes. And even with those standards, I hadn't seen ALTWYS in a long time. And Can't Stand It and Im Always in Love?

I went knowing the fact that my chance of hearing an older catelog song I havent heard live were slim...I did hear Hoodoo though so that was great! Other then that I pretty much went to hear the new stuff live which was great!

Guest Jules

I was just agreeing with the guy that said this setlist was almost the same as Wilmington, which it was.