Wilco-Brooklyn 7/13/09

More like standing there and not knowing the words. :)

WOW! Sounds just like the Red Rocks show when the guys from Okervill River came out on California Stars. Most of them just stood there and either shook something [or played the same three chords on the guitar, it's a simple song] and stepped up to say "California Stars" once in a while. It was very clear they didn't know any of the other words.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jersey City to Coney Island Via Staten Island is not so bad. I made it from Coney Island to NJ in 25 minutes!

huh? I must know about this. how did you get back to Jersey City.

also, aren't we all forgetting the most important song; Take Me Out To the Ball Game?

I'd echo what bbop said -- he nailed the review (as usual). YLT didn't win over many new fans with their opening set. And as my brain was exploding during their last number (The Story of Yo La Tango), it seemed like the majority of the folks around me just wanted them off the stage. A very solid opening set from YLT. Some of these Wilco fans... :ermm

Wilco/Jeff seemed particularly playful and energetic last night. Can't say if that's right, as I haven't seen the band at any other shows on this tour. The stadium was jammed though, and I wonder if the juice of playing in front of that many folks, in NYC no less, got the guys amped up.

Wilco's set was great. There's not much to say except that the band is just on fire. Incredibly tight. I was looking forward to a nod to Woody of some sort, but as the set went on, and Jeff kept getting new electric guitars, I was beginning to wonder. No mention of YLT either, as the set went on. Seemed odd. Then Feist came out. And the guy from Grizzly Bear. Then California Stars was buried between a couple of other songs in the first encore. No mention of Woody. And would it have killed Feist and Mr. Grizzly Bear to learn the words to the songs they were singing up there? Weak.

Then, of course, during the encore, Jeff welcomes one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. Everyone cranes their necks in excitement, and out stumble Ira, Georgia, and James. And as bbop said, Jeff proclaims that we all got our money's worth before Wilco took the stage. Phew. There we go. Into a blistering version of Spiders. I had to bend down to pick up my mind. Seemed like Nels and Jeff tried to get Ira to let loose, but he didn't really. He was the opposite of Pat. Very subdued, with his back to the crowd. Georgia on maracas in the back, and I didn't even see James (I trust he was on the hammond, as bbop said). Wonderful to see those two great bands on stage at the same time, playing the perfect song together. There was nothing in the song to go crazy over, YLT just sort of blended in, but I do think it was a very good version. Jeff hugged Ira and Georgia as they walked off the stage.

Then a few more tunes in the second encore, and a passing reference to the fact that "this song was written a couple of blocks from here." Hoodoo voodoo to close. I would have expected more Mermaid Ave/Woody references, but alas. Was not to be.

A great night.

For all the YLT hatas... I highly recommend you check out their Two Hearts Beat As One Album, I played the hell out of it on public radio in NC.

They've got it here for stream....

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

huh? I must know about this. how did you get back to Jersey City.

also, aren't we all forgetting the most important song; Take Me Out To the Ball Game?

I had a friend I was dropping off at Newark Penn on the way home. I drove to the Belt to the Verazzano ($11 toll though!!!) to the Gothels then Turnpike to 13 A to Rt 21 N. Took 25 minutes. To Jersey City you can take Rt 440 which will take you over the Bayonne Bridge and it will take you less than a half hour total with no traffic.

I guess you ended up finding tickets outside...I was able to score two more fields at $30 a piece earlier in the day...

Yes! It was very magical. Drove down from CT on a lark, slogged through Whitestone/Belt traffic, parked, walked around the corner, right into a guy selling two tickets!

This guy was giving out hugs, but I was too shy to get one.

wilco mascot.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/wilco-feist-yo-la-tango-bring-indie-rock-1003993302.story

Wilco, Feist, Yo La Tango Bring Indie Rock Nirvana To Coney Island

July 14, 2009 11:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco drafted a slew of high-profile guests for its Monday night (July 13) show at Keyspan Park near New York's Coney Island, collaborating with Feist, Grizzly Bear's Ed Droste and Yo La Tengo during the encore of the performance.

Opening act Yo La Tengo joined Wilco for a raucous run through the noise rock epic "Spiders (Kidsmoke)," while Feist and Droste joined in on percussion on "Hoodoo Voodoo" to close the evening.

Earlier, Feist dueted with Wilco's Jeff Tweedy on "You and I," which they will reprise tonight on "The Late Show With David Letterman."

Feist remained on stage to sing on "California Stars," and was joined by Droste for that cut as well as "You and I," from Wilco's brand new album "Wilco (the Album)." Tweedy also led the sold-out crowd in a rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

The show spanned Wilco's 16-year canon, blending newer tracks like "Impossible Germany" and "Bull Black Nova" with fan requests such as "I'm Always in Love" and "Can't Stand It."

"Wilco (the Album)" was released on June 30 and sold 99,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It debuted on the Billboard 200 at No. 4, a career best.

Wilco's full set list:

"Wilco the Song"

"I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"

"A Shot in the Arm"

"At Least That's What You Said"

"Bull Black Nova"

"I Am Your Face"

"One Wing"

"Handshake Drugs"

"Deeper Down"

"Impossible Germany"

"Jesus Etc."

"Sonny Feeling"

"I'm Always In Love"

"Can't Stand It"

"Hate It Here"

"Walken"

"I'm the Man Who Loves You"

"Hummingbird"

Encore 1:

"Heavy Metal Drummer"

"You and I"

"California Stars"

"You Never Know"

"Misunderstood"

"Spiders (Kidsmoke)"

Encore 2:

"The Late Greats"

"Hoodoo Voodoo"

From New York magazine: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/07/wilco.html

Although we're not quite as into Wilco's new record as seemingly everyone at the New York Times is, we made sure to make our way out to Coney Island last night to take in the band's fitter, happier, more productive sound. We caught Jeff Tweedy and company's tremendous set in the hinterlands of Tennessee at Bonnaroo last month, and as soon as we found out that they would be performing their only local date on this tour at a nontraditional outdoor venue — Keyspan Park, a baseball field that's normally home to the Class-A Brooklyn Cyclones — we immediately secured ourselves tickets to the show. With the intoxicating smells of Coney dogs and salt water wafting in the breeze, the dad rockers clearly drew inspiration from the unique surroundings; at one point, the formerly surly Tweedy even led the crowd in a gleeful and spontaneous "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" sing-along.

As evidenced by the band's recent decision to take a decidedly less serious (and, at times, even bordering on humorous) approach to musicmaking, Tweedy used the opportunity to try to score some laughs from the largely gray-haired crowd with some localized banter. "Do people even live in Coney Island?" he wondered aloud at one point. "Circus geeks?" While one might infer that their newly breezy onstage demeanor and their less experimental approach in the recording studio has made Wilco, um, soft, the fact of the matter is that the band has never sounded richer and more expressive in a live setting than they have on this tour.

In particular, Tweedy has made the wise decision to give new(ish) guitarist Nels Cline as much room to breathe as possible, which paid amazing dividends on extended jams like "Impossible Germany" and a newly arranged "Handshake Drugs." But, lest you think the band has drifted too closely to jam-band territory — something the crowd was clearly eating up, by the way — they proved they still have the power to deliver the rock during their encore, which began with "Heavy Metal Drummer" and wrapped up with a barn- ballpark-burning set-closer, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)." As the entire audience outstretched their arms and ecstatically clapped along to Glenn Kotche's propulsive drumbeat, Tweedy quipped to the crowd, "You look like a Quiet Riot audience." And based on some of the temporary headbanging the mention elicited, we're guessing most everyone in the crowd was old enough to catch the reference.

Last night's show was pretty incredible as all have said here. I was kind of surprised by the "repeat" for the most part of the Lowell show. But ONLY BECAUSE I swear I read somewhere before the tour started that Glenn was quoted saying they were going to "be mixing things up a bit". But it's alright. I am NOT complaining, just commenting. I'm getting to see Wilco four times in eight days so what the heck is there to complain about, right?!? I love how much more relaxed and happy Jeff seems to be, like he's actually having fun and realizing it's "okay", ya know?!?

Thank goodness their jumbo screens worked better than the Lowell one did (they ended up shutting that one off). It was a great venue, wonderful scenery, good crowd and an overall kick-ass show!!!

Oh and in the sold out crowd (of 12,000...correct me if I'm wrong), who do you suppose I randomly ended up standing next to?!? One Ms. Flick!!! I think she was pretty shocked when she realized I knew who she was :) It was good to meet you, Jess :D

Next up, Portland bay-bee!!! :rock

It can always be assumed Wilco will play

IATTBYH

Heavy Metal

I'm The Man

Jesus

Hummingbird

Handshake

Late Greats

Spiders

Shot in the Arm

California Stars

and More recently

Face

Impossible

Hate it Here

I have heard these at every single show I have seen of theres since these songs came out...they need a good core setlist shake up...

Here is what an ideal setlist last night would have looked like to me!

Wilco (the song)

Box Full

Too Far Apart

At Least That's What You Said

Bull Black Nova

Either Way

One Wing

Wishful Thinking

Deeper Down

Say You Miss Me

Pot Kettle

Sonny Feeling

Summerteeth

ELT

Nothingsever

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Outta Site

Poor Places

1st Encore:

Blue Eyed Soul

You And I@

Feed of Man

You Never Know*

Misunderstood

County Dissapeared

2nd Encore:

I'll Fight

On and On

Hoodoo Voodoo*

I mentioned a similar point in the Wolftrap thread. The band plays to many shows and has way to much material to draw from to have the setlists be so stale and predictable. It would also make the regulars much more fun when they did play them.

Oh well, maybe some day they will truly explore the potential that each show can have. And to the poster who said they played 6 or 7 new songs and can't stand it and whatnot; If someone has gone to more than one show on the tour, then they have already seen most of the new songs played and can't stand it most likely. There's such a catalog of material that they can pull the setlists from. Since they have given us the ability to keep track of which songs are played where with the program, I was hoping they would branch out a bit more like last summer's shows i.e Brooklyn 8/13/08...They are playing fantastic these days though so it's just a minor complaint/suggestion for future tours? :yes

The following songs have been played every night of the current tour or have only missed a day or two: Shot In Arm, Bull Black Nova, Handshake drugs, Hate it Here, Hummingbird, IATTBYH, ITMWLY, Impossible Germany, Jesus, One Wing, Spiders, Walken, Wilco the Song, You are my face & You Never Know.

:rolleyes

And if you didn't know them very well, but had only heard a few songs before, then what they played last night would have been terrific, right? They aren't always playing to a message board audience, you know.

:rolleyes

And if you didn't know them very well, but had only heard a few songs before, then what they played last night would have been terrific, right? They aren't always playing to a message board audience, you know.

I don't think anyone's saying the shows & songs of choice aren't terrific. But if they tacked on another 8-10 songs to their repertoire for the tour to rotate more frequently then they would probably please all of the people you described, who had only heard a few songs, as well as the boardies. We're not asking for Cars Can't Escape, Laminated Cat, Panther, or cover songs or anything every night but Wilco is a band who has a decent chunk of its fanbase going to multiple shows.

this came out like crap because it was my cell phone, but this is what greeted concert goers that stepped off the train on their way to the show last night:

mermaidave.jpg

Very Nice!

I have a suggestion for those of you that love to whine about the setlists. Stay home and monitor the song selection from the comfort of your couch. In fact, you could set your entire Wilco collection on shuffle, report to us what songs came up and truly enjoy yourselves in absolute bliss with no frustrations. Please keep in mind that Jeff's got a million things he'd rather do than to play rock'n'roll for you.

great to see you to Paul, and Mart, and for those who might remember FrOnk ! he is alive and well.

a fine rockin' show with great sound for an outdoor concert. Loved watching Jeffplay so many diff guitars.

I didn't mind the setlist, got to hear and enjoy the new songs.

nobody mentioned Jeffs hair. It's a bit longer these days, and after a towel dry it was quite afro'ish ?big ?

I liked the sing a long, and the cyclone mascott on stage.

the drive in went well, 1 hour from Flemmington, the pizza even better at Grimaldi's ! thanks Mart for hooking me

with that treasure.

Please keep in mind that Jeff's got a million things he'd rather do than to play rock'n'roll for you.

I'm willing to guess, and actually hope, that Jeff doesn't quite have 1,000,000 things he'd rather do than play rock'n'roll. Maybe 30-40 things, but 1,000,000 is a lot of things to prefer to do rather than something so incredible. He is, after all, rather good at it and seems to enjoy doing it; besides, I don't think you can argue that we don't appreciate him. Not one person who's said anything about the setlists has said anything bad about the music they hear, just that they'd like to hear more or Jeff and Wilco's work. Is that really such a bad critique of a band?

I'm willing to guess, and actually hope, that Jeff doesn't quite have 1,000,000 things he'd rather do than play rock'n'roll. Maybe 30-40 things, but 1,000,000 is a lot of things to prefer to do rather than something so incredible. He is, after all, rather good at it and seems to enjoy doing it; besides, I don't think you can argue that we don't appreciate him. Not one person who's said anything about the setlists has said anything bad about the music they hear, just that they'd like to hear more or Jeff and Wilco's work. Is that really such a bad critique of a band?

You're right, a million things might not be all that realistic!

Sums up my thoughts...

If I didn't like the band I wouldn't go. It is just frustrating knowing that they know how to play all the songs in there catelog and they have done so recently and they don't throw in a few more nuggets in the live show. Sure the songs they play at every show sound polished but I like Wilco when they play that one off and it sounds a little rusty..one of my favortie surprises at a Wilco show was when they played Pieholden last time in Brooklyn. It was awesome. It made me wonder why they don't play it more oftent! I just find it strange why a band of Wilco's skill and talent wouldn't want to push the live boundry a little further and mix it up. Taht being said I did thoroughly enjoy the show at Keyspan!