I dunno, it may just be me, but to my ears the snare drum sound on "You Never Know" on the new record sounds to be out of phase. Like I said, may just be me, but for some reason (unless that's what they intended) it bugs the hell out of me that the producer or engineer let that little guy get on the record. Sorry if this sounds anal BUT being a producer/engineer it bothers me.

Sorry also if this is in the wrong section of the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, it may just be me, but to my ears the snare drum sound on "You Never Know" on the new record sounds to be out of phase.

What about it makes you think it sounds out of phase? Usually an out of phase drum sound is accompanied by one of two audible problems:

1. A weird swishy uneven sound that shifts in the high-mids/ treble in a distracting and random sounding way.

2. An unusually thin tone that lacks body and presence.

I need to listen to that track. I'm gonna be sad if you're right cause I've loved the drum sounds on that record.

• 2 weeks later...

What about it makes you think it sounds out of phase? Usually an out of phase drum sound is accompanied by one of two audible problems:

1. A weird swishy uneven sound that shifts in the high-mids/ treble in a distracting and random sounding way.

2. An unusually thin tone that lacks body and presence.

I need to listen to that track. I'm gonna be sad if you're right cause I've loved the drum sounds on that record.

Well when listening with headphones (an I'm running from the version I downloaded on iTunes, not the vinyl, which I fully intend on purchasing...) I heard as you so keenly put it a "weird, swishy uneven sound.

Now to that end, I am not complaining and I too love the drum sound on that song and the rest of the new album. I was just curious to see if anyone else had hear it my way.

Plus I'm an audio engineer, and that's what I do for a living.. I may very well be wrong, however, and feel free to correct me if that is indeed the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus I'm an audio engineer, and that's what I do for a living.. I may very well be wrong, however, and feel free to correct me if that is indeed the case.

No, no. You'll have to excuse me if I sounded pretentious. Most folks don't gather the subtleties of phase as it is relegated to dorky engineers such as ourselves.

That would be a trip, if Mr. Jim Scott let that slide by. Could be an MP3 thing, but maybe not at that resolution. I listened to this the other day, and forgot to listen for the snare.

• 1 month later...