Can people weigh in with their invaluable thoughts on all things J-45? I have wanted one for a long long time and I am getting closer to convincing myself that it's time.

What are your thoughts on used vs new? I know that Gibson has the rep for a period of clunkers. Better to find a banged up one that is older and/or vintage? Stick with a new one?

If new, Rosewood? Mahogany? TV?

I know that it all boils down to the sound and feel that I like, and that I should play as many as I can because each one is different. But I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences/etc. I'd also love to hear if you think I should try a different brand/model to compare or if others are better.

thanks folks

J-45s vary wildly from guitar to guitar. I would recommend playing as many as you can get your hands on before you make a decision. For what it's worth, I really like a lot of the newer ones Gibson's been making (really light resonant bodies with thick necks), but you'll have to form your own opinion.

Can people weigh in with their invaluable thoughts on all things J-45? I have wanted one for a long long time and I am getting closer to convincing myself that it's time.

What are your thoughts on used vs new? I know that Gibson has the rep for a period of clunkers. Better to find a banged up one that is older and/or vintage? Stick with a new one?

If new, Rosewood? Mahogany? TV?

I know that it all boils down to the sound and feel that I like, and that I should play as many as I can because each one is different. But I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences/etc. I'd also love to hear if you think I should try a different brand/model to compare or if others are better.

thanks folks

J-45s vary wildly from guitar to guitar. I would recommend playing as many as you can get your hands on before you make a decision. For what it's worth, I really like a lot of the newer ones Gibson's been making (really light resonant bodies with thick necks), but you'll have to form your own opinion.

These really are timeless work horses...i think Gibson acoustics are about as inconsistent are any brand out there...the whole 60's-80's period you could buy 3 of the same model, and have sometimes drastic variations in construction...i have owned 3 vintage Gibsons and while i enjoyed them, I decided i was a Martin guy, and let them go...

Clunkers, yes, but thats sort of their charm, I love the chunky fat sound of a gibson, while some folks think the extra wood is a tone killer, I rather think it adds to projection and the stability of the guitars...if it were me, id go with the mahogany sides/back, and if you have the chance, demo a new one next to an old one...Gibson is making some nice acoustics these days...

I have a J-45RW and LOVE it. It has become my Benchmark Guitar: all other guitars are compared to it when it comes to tone (Spruce/RW) and playability (short scale, nut width) and versatility (sounds good picked as well as strummed). Very few have come close to this as my personal ideal for an acoustic guitar.

Lots of people say you can't finger-pick a dread. I think this is untrue. In fact, I like the volume the dread gives because I finger pick using bare flesh and I need all the volume I can get. I also own a 000 and a Jumbo. Sure, the 000 sounds great picked and the jumbo sounds great strummed. But for versatility, the dread is the answer.

That said, I think if you want that woody J-45 tone, I'd recommend the standard Spruce/Hog J-45, but YMMV. The S/RW has a more rich, creamy, shimmery tone, of course. Not the traditional J-45 tone.

When it comes to choosing from Gibson's odd, rambling, confusing lineup of Modern Classic, True Vintage, and whatever else, I think it boils down to this: you get what you pay for, ultimately (there is the law of diminishing returns, I think. Once you hit 5k, they are all good).

In all seriousness, I think the J-45 is the perfect guitar.

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

Gibsons are great recording guitars (as are Martins). Have a 60s Hummingbird, J160E and a J35... currently debating the purchase of a 50s LG1... If you can find one for the right price go for it. But yes, play the bugger first!! :)

Gibson is making some nice acoustics these days...

"Truth".

Whenever I'm in a shop that carries new Gibsons I always pick up the J-45s to play around a little bit. I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how well they're constructed and how nice they look compared to models from say, 20 yrs ago. And every once and a while you come across one that just has that chiming sound. My advice: don't get hurried or anxious and just take a while going from shop to shop until you find the one that speaks to you.

thanks for everyone's thoughts. really appreciate it. I stopped by the local guitar center yesterday to play a bunch of different J-45s and they didnt have any left in stock. Man, I hate guitar center.

• 1 month later...

Guitar Center gives me a headache! If you can get there, Chicago Music Exchange has a great selection, vintage, new, you name it. I went there and played as many different acoustics as I could, and the 60's reissue of the J-45 won, hands down. Gorgeous, deep sound. I had no intention of buying another guitar that day, just went to look around, but once I heard this one, had to have it. Depending on where you live, you might find a cheap fast flight to Chicago via southwest air. As much as i like to give business to local music stores (I live in Austin, so there are a few aside from GC), there's no comparison to CME. http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

sybil