NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minute game misconduct for 3rd man in, 5 minute major for fighting, 2 minute minor for instigating, 2 minute minor for roughing.

In this scenario, NHL's official statement would read:

After further review of the Kane incident, the league has decided not to suspend Chicago's forward. It is unclear what the verbal exchange was before the fight, and while Mr.Kane has apologized, we feel that it is best to leave this in the past.

Just like...

2a36eb0e72_ltpScottWalker051209.jpg

this didn't deserve a suspension...

but this did:

1513064.bin?size=620x400

Yea for justice...

sounds like a smart kid - arrested over 20 cents.

the kids a hot head, but we all already knew that. Nothings gonna happen punishment wise, although i don't totally agree with that. i remember a little story a few years back about Eric and Jordan Staal getting arrested, but there was nothing done by the league.

Lame... Wings signed Bertuzzi for 1 year @ $1.5 mil. I don't see where he fits into the team. He's shit on defense and mobility, is known to take stupid penalties, his offensive skills have taken a dive, and he rarely stays healthy. I guess that's worth $1.5 million? I would have given his spot to a hungry kid on their farm team.

This offseason has been incredibly long.

Tomorrow morning I'm waking up at around 5 and walking to The Garden to wait in line for tickets, I figure I've got a good advantage if I get there before the subway starts running haha.

• 2 weeks later...

DUDES, CAMPS BEGIN NEXT WEEK!!!!!

Guess there's money to be made in being Patrick Kane's bitch?

LULZ

I'm not too worried about the Hawks this year. You're only as good as your goaltender and well.... :mellow

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto got owned. Jeeze, Brian Burke is a terrible general manager.

Boston gets two high first round draft picks... :dontgetit

Jeez, a little early to tell?

We don't know if those draft picks will turn into Brian Lawton or Steve Yzerman.

If Kessel gets the Maple Leafs to the Cup by the time those picks turn into roster spots, it's a good trade.

You really think Toronto can be a playoff team, even with Kessel? He had 36 goals playing with the Bruins but who's going to feed him the puck in Toronto? Brian Burke doesn't understand the concept of "rebuilding". They should have followed Pittsburgh and Chicago's method. Good drafting is the absolute best way to win. Look at the two teams I just mentioned, or Detroit. Columbus and St. Louis have started drafting well and look at the recent success they've had.

Hell, Kessel won't even be back till part way through November and it will take a young player like him a long time to be catch up to everyone else to get to mid-season form.

I just think this is the kind of trade you pull off when you're close to being ready. Nashville, for instance, would have been a much better destination for Kessel.

You really think Toronto can be a playoff team, even with Kessel? He had 36 goals playing with the Bruins but who's going to feed him the puck in Toronto? Brian Burke doesn't understand the concept of "rebuilding". They should have followed Pittsburgh and Chicago's method. Good drafting is the absolute best way to win. Look at the two teams I just mentioned, or Detroit. Columbus and St. Louis have started drafting well and look at the recent success they've had.

Hell, Kessel won't even be back till part way through November and it will take a young player like him a long time to be catch up to everyone else to get to mid-season form.

I just think this is the kind of trade you pull off when you're close to being ready. Nashville, for instance, would have been a much better destination for Kessel.

Exactly - look at Detroit. Name a single first round draft pick on their team. Time's up. They have exactly one: Kronwall. They traded most of their 1st rounders away in the 90s. And it doesn't appear to have hurt them too badly. Drafting is one thing, but if you don't have the system to develop your players, drafting doesn't do squat.

The timeline on the Kessel trade isn't this season only. And besides, he's only 21. They got a 1st line winger from a division rival without giving up any bodies in return. If anything, this trade should be viewed as risky for both teams. For Boston, the risk is that they coughed up an up-and-coming premier winger to a division rival, with nobody to replace him. For Toronto, it's 3 picks in the next two years, and those 3 picks are only slightly worse a trade than they would have had to give up if they signed him to an offer sheet anyway.

I disagree with your Detroit example. It'd be great if every team was as good as drafting late in the draft as Detroit, but no one else is. So you have to rely on your first round draft picks. Look at Brian Burkes draft record, name one player he's drafted after the second round that has turned out to be successful. Uhh... Uhhh.. yeah exactly, time's up.

How are the Maple Leafs going to get any better? They have a rookie goaltender signed to a one year contract, besides that the only player who would be top-tier prospect is Schenn. So what will they have to do? Build their team through free agency, which we all know works so well. :monkey

If anything this has forced the Maple Leafs to be a middle of the pack team for the next-5 years.

This trade wasn't risky for Boston, he had to be moved, and they got two draft picks, which are very likely going to be high. Sounds good to me. You said it was good for the Leafs to not move any bodies in the trade but with the Bruins cap troubles, do you really think the Leafs have any roster players the Bs would want?

Pay attention to the Avs in the next few seasons, they got who I believe to be the best player in the draft, and they're going to go about this rebuild correctly.

It'd be great if every team was as good as drafting late in the draft as Detroit, but no one else is.

That's a myth that's only supplemented by Zetterberg and Datsyuk being late round picks.

Detroit excels at developing their players.

I had to look up Burke's draft record, since I don't follow the Canucks, and he was only with the Ducks for two years, and you're right - there was only one player of note: Bieksa. And even he's not really THAT good.

So, now you're saying that you have to rely on your FIRST round picks. OK - so how are the Canucks successful? Their only first round picks of note on the current roster are the Sedins and Ryan Kesler. 3 dudes hardly make a team. They got their captain through a (gasp!) TRADE! That's right! A trade.

All I'm saying is it takes time to see this type of trade pay off. Boston was essentially forced to make the trade because Toronto was going to sign him to an offer sheet regardless. If they had taken that route, they would have received a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick instead.

I believe the maxim that whoever gets the best player in a trade gets the best deal out of the trade.

They should have followed Pittsburgh and Chicago's method.

What, tank hard several years in a row and get lucky enough to draft generational talents not once, but twice? I'm sorry, but Pittsburgh's "method" hardly qualifies -- they were blessed with probably the two easiest draft decisions in the past 25 years. And anyway, Burke could never get away with that in Toronto; it's the biggest hockey market in the world, and the team has simply been too bad for too long.

All that being said, I agree with whoever said it's a risky trade for both teams, but one that could also pay big dividends. The Bruins save money and will likely get two shots at a player of Kessel's caliber, while the Leafs give unknown draft picks for a guy who most teams would probably still spend a top-5 pick on. By far the worst part of the deal IMO is the contract they gave him.