NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

The 2009-2010 NHL Season begins October 1st.

Calendar:

Sept. 14: Canucks and Islanders open pre-season in Terrace, BC.

Oct. 1: Start of the regular season (Leafs vs Habs, Flames vs Canucks, Joe Sakic's number retired)

Dec. 26 - Jan. 5: World Junior Championship in Regina/Saskatoon

Jan. 1: 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park

Feb. 15 - Mar. 1: Olympic Break

Apr. 11: Last day of regular season

Apr. 14: Start date of Stanley Cup Playoffs

May 7 - 23: IIHF World Championship in Germany

June 15ish: Canucks win cup?!

I for one am, very, very, very, (very!) excited for Olympic Hockey, in my own backyard of all places :D

Let's keep all off-season, pre-season, regular season, Olympic hockey, and playoff discussion in one ULTIMATE topic :)

I was going to make a poll, asking what your favourite team was, but apparently polls with 30 answers are not allowed! Hmm... also when I write NHL in the subject it changes it to Nhl. :(

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would lock the other thread...but I have no idea how haha.

I'm really excited the season starts early because of Olympic hockey. Should be a great year.

Agreed. Personally I'd like the NHL season to start mid-September, Olympics or not. By September I'm ready for some hockey. Hell, by July I'm ready for some hockey! But in September it's generally getting cooler (at least here). One of these days ...when I'm commissioner.

Will Olympic hockey get television coverage in the states? I know the WC and WJC don't, which is a pity because the World Juniours was the best hockey I saw all last year, especially that semi-final game with Canada vs Russia. I can't imagine how good Olympic hockey will be on NA ice.

I wish that they'd just bring back the Canada Cup instead of having the pros go to the Olympics, but it looks like this is the last time they'll do so.

They should just do what soccer does - allow a max of three ringers over the age of 25 on a team.

The pros already have their glorious Stanley Cup - leave the medals to the hard working amateurs.

I wish that they'd just bring back the Canada Cup instead of having the pros go to the Olympics, but it looks like this is the last time they'll do so.

They should just do what soccer does - allow a max of three ringers over the age of 25 on a team.

The pros already have their glorious Stanley Cup - leave the medals to the hard working amateurs.

Agreed with the Canada Cup but I think Olympic hockey is really good for growing the game, especially in Europe. I really don't care as long as we get an official tournament every 3-4 years where all players can attend.

I heard Hossa could be out until December.

I just knew he was hurt. There's no way that a guy with his talent and historical point production gets shut out like he did in the late playoffs. But I had assumed it was a lower body injury - because when he was getting hit, he was getting hit HARD, which suggested that his lateral movement was limited - he wasn't sidestepping any checks.

Aaron Ward traded to Carolina for a 4th round pick and sound dude who was instantly put on waivers...definitely a cap room deal to get Kessel, which is all well and good...but we need a #2 D-man now.

just read about Morris, great pick up for 1 yr. Losing ward won't be so bad, Morris is only 30 and very durable. Ward broke down last year, and is slow. He will be missed for his toughness, and locker room leadership.

not sure where this leaves Kessil. Looks like the B's are playing hardball, and will wait it out. The team has 1.3 mil left and that aint much.

Without trading someome Kess is on the outside right now.

You dudes remember when I was preaching against long term contracts? Behold!!!

The NHL is investigating whether Marian Hossa’s new 12-year, $62.8-million (all terms US) contract with the Blackhawks circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap, Sun Media has learned.

The ’Hawks could be facing a maximum fine of $5 million and the loss of draft picks if the league’s investigation uncovers proof of allegations that Chicago discussed the possibility of Hossa retiring before the end of the deal, which would end Hossa’s cap hit.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation in an e-mail yesterday, stating that league officials are concerned with the structure of the contract.

What it boils down to is Hossa’s cap hit over the 12 years is $5.23 million a season, but for the first seven years, he’ll make $7.9 million a season before dropping to $4 million in 2016-17.

It’s the final four years of the deal that have the NHL up in arms as Hossa is scheduled to earn $3.5 million, period.

If Hossa were to retire after the eighth season, the $5.23-million cap hit would disappear, too.

“We’re trying to understand how it was negotiated and whether the intent and effect is to circumvent the cap,” wrote Daly. “This was the first of the long-term contracts that took a player out past the age 40 and the value of the contract in its ‘out years’ was dramatically lower than its early years.

“We want to know if the possibility of player retirement was ever discussed or even contemplated.”

“The NHL is looking to put a damper on these 10-plus-year contracts with throwaway years tacked on at the end,” a league executive said last night. “They are building a strong case against Chicago to make an example of them. This issue won’t just go away. Lots of other GMs are supporting the league here.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/30/10319706.html

:lol

I'd like to see these cheats get busted. I like Mattias Ohlund as much as the next person, the guy's a warrior.... but a seven year contract at his age?! :ermm

However it will probably go the way of the Capitals steroid allegations and the Maple Leafs' Sedin tampering... the league says "oh don't worry we're looking into it!" and then it is never mentioned again.

:lol

I'd like to see these cheats get busted. I like Mattias Ohlund as much as the next person, the guy's a warrior.... but a seven year contract at his age?! :ermm

However it will probably go the way of the Capitals steroid allegations and the Maple Leafs' Sedin tampering... the league says "oh don't worry we're looking into it!" and then it is never mentioned again.

Strange that they're picking on Chicago, and citing Hossa's contract as the first time this has been done. Detroit signed Zetterberg and Franzen to extensions in a similar manner during last season. Perhaps theirs don't tail off as dramatically as Hossa's? Perhaps theirs don't go beyond the age of 40?

The NHL must have contemplated contracts like this - because they built in a clause for players over 35 signing extensions - that their whole contract counts towards the cap even if they retire before the contract expires (see Pronger/Flyers controversy for more detail on this).

Agreed. I keep trying to watch football... maybe it's cause the Lions are having a poor season but I just can't get anywhere near as excited about it... It'd be nice if they played the World Championships a few weeks after the NHL season finished so all the players could play and it could shorten the lack of hockey period. WHL is starting soon though!!!! When does the USHL or NCAA start???

Tried to post this yesterday...

Sources tell TSN Theoren Fleury is attempting a comeback and wants to play in the NHL again.

After playing senior hockey last season, Fleury decided in February he was fit enough to give the NHL another try, so he hired a personal trainer and has been working diligently since.

Those close to him say he didn't leave the National Hockey League the way he wanted, which is fueling his desire to return.

The 41-year-old has been sober for almost four years and has been skating daily in Calgary in the hope that an NHL team is willing to invite him to training camp.

Interest in the former Stanley Cup champion won't be enough to clear the way for Fleury's return. He remains under indefinite suspension and would first have to be approved by the NHL and the NHLPA's Substance Abuse program doctors before reinstatement would be considered.

Sources say Fleury recently sent NHL commissioner Gary Bettman a letter acknowledging his comeback bid and has also discussed the possibility with the league's doctors. The league has confirmed receiving the letter requesting reinstatement.

At 5' 6,'' Fleury was one of the smallest players in hockey. Intense and fearless, Fleury made a name for himself for more than his stature. He could score, play defensively and led teams to championships in junior hockey, in the NHL and on the international stage.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287047

Patrick Kane arrested for assault and robbery

Strange story developing this morning as Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane(notes) and his cousin were arrested in Buffalo for robbing and assulting a cab driver over a fare dispute.

Aaron Besecker of the Buffalo News picks up the details:

"Kane, 20, and James M. Kane, 21, were arrested about 5 a.m. on Eastwood Place, according to Buffalo police reports.

The pair allegedly punched the cab driver and grabbed money they had handed him after he told them he didn't have twenty cents in coins to give them their change, the report said.

Their fare was $13.80 and they handed the driver $15, according to a report.

The cab driver told police he was punched in the face and head, grabbed by the throat and had his glasses broken during the incident."

Kane and his cousin have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

A native of Buffalo, Kane had just attended a press conference on Thursday with Mayor Byron W. Brown announcing funding for a local ice rink.

WIVB in Buffalo reports that an attorney for the Kanes entered a not guilty plea in City court.

That's incredibly embarrassing. Someone needs to put that kid in his place.

I wonder if EA will pull him from the cover of NHL10. Hmmm....

Patrick Kane arrested for assault and robbery

Strange story developing this morning as Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane(notes) and his cousin were arrested in Buffalo for robbing and assulting a cab driver over a fare dispute.

Aaron Besecker of the Buffalo News picks up the details:

"Kane, 20, and James M. Kane, 21, were arrested about 5 a.m. on Eastwood Place, according to Buffalo police reports.

The pair allegedly punched the cab driver and grabbed money they had handed him after he told them he didn't have twenty cents in coins to give them their change, the report said.

Their fare was $13.80 and they handed the driver $15, according to a report.

The cab driver told police he was punched in the face and head, grabbed by the throat and had his glasses broken during the incident."

Kane and his cousin have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

A native of Buffalo, Kane had just attended a press conference on Thursday with Mayor Byron W. Brown announcing funding for a local ice rink.

WIVB in Buffalo reports that an attorney for the Kanes entered a not guilty plea in City court.

Either 'roid rage, too many Sudafed or the kid is just an asshole jock.