NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

Wow, long time since we've chatted about Hockey, where are the fans???

A few thoughts....

so far, im loving this season of NHL hockey. A few new teams up on the top along with a lot of regulars.

Nice to see LA Kings on top of Pacific division. But with Dany Heatley on the Sharks, could this finally be their year??

Northwest Division---this division may turn into an exciting battle down the stretch, Colorado and Calgary are on top right now but my dark horse favorite this year is the Vancouver Canucks! I know there are fans in VC world that are Canucks fans. I love Henrik Sedin this year and his new goal-scorer's role.

WHen i was in Las Vegas in October I should have put Money down on the Washington Capitals to win the Cup at 6-1. They have an explosive team thus far and the closer Ovechkin can taste the Cup the hungrier he'll get. and if they have to compete against Pittsburgh to get to the Finals, that would be an awesome fight, again.

Totally looking forward to the Bruins-Flyers Fenway Park game on January 1st. This will be better than the Wrigley Field event.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, long time since we've chatted about Hockey, where are the fans???

The three most frequent contributors to this thread are fans of Detroit (shitty season so far), Vancouver (shitty season so far) and Boston (not a terrible season, but definitely worse than last year).

Meaning, we're fair-weather fans?

I haven't really had a lot of good things to say about the Rangers, that is for shit sure.

warning: Fantasy Talk

i have Phil Kessel and Corey Perry on my team, both RW. everybody is trying to trade me for them. They are young, quality players but damn, i didnt think that they were that wanted. I won't budge though. i like them both.

I'd dump Kessel while his value is high.

Don't budge on Perry though - he's a rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Northwest Division---this division may turn into an exciting battle down the stretch, Colorado and Calgary are on top right now but my dark horse favorite this year is the Vancouver Canucks! I know there are fans in VC world that are Canucks fans. I love Henrik Sedin this year and his new goal-scorer's role.

The Canucks, on paper, are the best team in the NW. They haven't lived up to expectations though, partly due to a rash of injuries, but also to over confidence. They'll easily beat the Capitals one night and then lose to Carolina the next. They play down to their opponents. However, I think they've learned their lesson at this point. We'll see, they play the last place Oilers tonight.

And yes!! Henrik Sedin (as well as his brother Dan) has really stepped it up this year. Even when they're not scoring, 99% of the time they're the most dominate players out on the ice. They'll lead this franchise in scoring by the time they retire. Hell, Henrik could very likely pass Linden in all time assists in this season.

I'm still amazed at how tight the standings are at this point.

It is a personal preference. I am a Bruins fan. Ive been to Fenway (and Wrigley) and prefer Fenway as a stadium to Wrigley, I think it would be cool to see a hockey game there. thats all.

NBC has been pumping it up a lot on the Sunday Night Football broadcast. Nice to see Mainstream Media in USA talk a little hockey.

So were the Canadians not confident enough in Home Advantage that they had to alter the rules and keep the rink NHL-sized, rather than Olympic-sized? Or are they just too cheap?

I heard something on the radio that not the keeping NA sized ice would have kicked the Canucks out of GM Place for months. What would you have had the Canucks do? They own GM Place, they're not going to allow cement to be cut out, seats to be removed, less tickets sold at the games, just to make the non-NHL players feel better. Nor would they want to be on a multi-month road trip... nor would the NHL allow a team to be at home for the rest of the season. Where else would you have them play? The Pacific Coliseum is no long an NHL venue, and it's being occupied by the Vancouver Giants now (they're being kicked out for over a month as well due to Olympic renovations/events...).

It's not like they're breaking the rules, the IOC allowed this. Maybe they finally realized that the NA game is better??

Why would they have European ice anyways? The Juniors, when played in NA are always on NA ice... as were the Super Series/Canada Cup. Salt Lake City was on European sized ice but that wasn't an NHL rink so they had that luxury.

Regardless of your remarks, the Canadians have won gold on the larger ice surface and will win on the smaller ice surface this year... it makes no difference :)

EDIT: Just found this..."This change is expected to save $10 million (CAD) in construction costs and allow more spectators to attend games." Oh no, those terrible Canadians! Trying to save 10 million dollars and allow more people to watch the games. Truly evil and despicable people!

Man, it's been a while since I posted here.

Yesterday's game was amazing. I couldn't get tickets, but hung out in a bar across the street from Fenway. Great atmosphere, great game.

I'm happy Thomas made the USA Olympic team.

After the Hawks, Blues game last night I've never been more proud of myself for not being a fan of St Louis hockey. Not only are they a terrible hockey club, their lack of skill at playing actual hockey means they headhunt other team's stars.

The funniest part was how absolutely awful the officiating was in the game. Jackman threw an elbow to Kane's head in open ice that was not called and some minor leaguer (I think named Weaver) left his feet in an attempt to decapitate Sharp. Again no penalty called, but Barker went after Weaver to defend his teammate and the Blues ended up with a 7 minute power play.

At the end of the game with the Hawks up 6-2, Janssens (a goon who average something like 5 minutes of ice time per game) starts trying to kill people and fight everyone but does not get called for anything. Meanwhile, Ben Eager and Jackman get into a fight and Eager is given an instigator and match penalty even though Jackman's gloves were on the ice first. Eager will be suspended due to it being in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Has anyone else seen a game officated as poorly as that? I mean, the refs inability to make a call on the Blues led to 4 fights (that I can remember) due to the Hawks having to take matters into their own hands.

I don't believe in Karma but maybe I should. The blues players spent all night trying to kill people and, in the end, the only person leaving the ice due to injury was Tkachuk in the last few minutes after he took a slap shot to the mouth. On the bright side, the puck went in after it hit his face so he got the goal...

I'm guessing it will be somewhere in Canada. Montreal maybe ...

Do any Canadian teams have the superstars on their team to draw the viewers wanted for this huge event? Yes, the spectacle alone would be amazing to see on Canadian soil, would make this hockey nut tune in for sure.

How about an outdoor battle of Alberta??????

Edmonton hosted an outdoor game a few years ago, but a Vancouver-Calgary game would be a pretty easy sell with Luongo, the Sedins, Kesler, Kiprusoff, Iginla, Phaneuf, Jokinen, Bouwmeester, et al.

That being said, with the Winter Classic being one of the league's better draws for the American audience, I think they'll keep it in the US. And as a Canadian, I'm completely okay with that.

At the end of the game with the Hawks up 6-2, Janssens (a goon who average something like 5 minutes of ice time per game) starts trying to kill people and fight everyone but does not get called for anything. Meanwhile, Ben Eager and Jackman get into a fight and Eager is given an instigator and match penalty even though Jackman's gloves were on the ice first. Eager will be suspended due to it being in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I DVRd the game and watched this am without knowing anything about it -- wow, what a game. I agree with everything in your post -- especially the officiating. As far as Eager is concerned, he had tape on his knuckles due to stitches incurred from a previous fight that night with that one of the Blues guys (I forget which). So the league threw out his match suspension and he played tonight (and the hawks won again).