NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

as a fan without a NHL home team, Ovie is the best player in the game. Sid is great but Ovechkin has it all, size, speed, power, finesse, score, pass, fight....

The only thing Ovie's lacking is media savvy. He usually is gruff and terse with the press, which doesn't help.

But Yes, the NHL should be touting him, and not Crosby (but really - why focus on one player anyway - the NHL is rich with unique talents now).

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

winston-who is media savvy in the NHL? the last recent one i can think of is Jeremy Roenick and he is retired retarded.

Agreed.

The other ones who could be depended on for good quotes were Chelios and Brett Hull. Well, of course there's Sean Avery, who seems to have single-handedly destroyed Phaneuf's playing ability with his sloppy seconds comment.

But I'm not asking him to be blunt and controversial. I just mean that Ovie should continue his obvious enthusiasm for the game outside of the rink and towards the media. He's a dynamo on ice, with beaming grins and infectious enthusiasm. The crowd gasps when he touches the puck, and his road games are sell-outs. But then he's billy goat gruff when the media wants to talk to him after the game.

Zach Parise should be marketed. He is a young American player, he is at the top of his game, he is making a name for himself in the Olympics as an American Hockey player, he has been successful player in the NHL. Ryan Miller, same thing as Parise, American (although MSU alum (boo)). Phil Kessel, Madison, WI native, former UM player (boo) but also very good, young, becoming big scorer. Patrick Kane....

but these arent elite players yet in NHL so they wont get pub. too bad.

henrik sedin with 3 assists tonight. thats great, i was started to get worried about his lack of offensive production....

Apparently he was hurt. Which makes sense, there's really no other reason for a player to be leading the league like he was in December and January and then disappear in February.

Crazy first period, caught it on TV with some friends at a local bar:

First Period--1, Chicago, Ladd 12 (Byfuglien, Hendry), 3:48. 2, Chicago, Keith 12 (Toews, Sharp), 10:22 (pp). 3, Chicago, Brouwer 19 (Hjalmarsson, Hossa), 10:53. 4, Vancouver, Kesler 19 (Demitra), 14:09. 5, Chicago, Versteeg 14, 15:08. 6, Chicago, Hendry 1 (Toews, Kane), 19:17. Penalties--Kesler, Van (roughing), :37; O'Brien, Van (roughing), :37; Burrows, Van (roughing, slashing), :37; Ladd, Chi (roughing), :37; Byfuglien, Chi (roughing), :37; Brouwer, Chi (interference), 4:14; Bolland, Chi (roughing), 4:38; Glass, Van (high-sticking), 7:47; Alberts, Van, served by Wellwood, minor-major (interference, fighting), 9:46; Seabrook, Chi, major (fighting), 9:46.

hey Cowboy- I must admit. I am on the Canucks train as spoiler in the playoffs. They are good in their own right but not sure if a lot of people are placing them to go deep. I could see them steal a series from the Hawks, make a big upset. Ive always like the Canucks, favorite Canadian team.

i was into the Morrison, Bertuzzi, Naslund line back in the day. one of the best lines......

anyway, with win today, i believe it is 9 comeback victories.

People here are pretty excited about the Canucks. I don't think they're guaranteed to go far in the playoffs but I think they have just as good as a shot as any other Western team. Especially when one of the top teams in the regular season is San Jose! I wouldn't say them getting to the third round and going past a team like Chicago would be spoiler.

The Canucks had a defensive collapse in the last game of the Chicago series last year... but they've gotten better (Henrik and Daniel becoming elite, Kesler is almost a point per game, Burrows has hit 30 goals at this point in the season, addition of Ehrhoff). They'll likely win the division (sorry Av fans) and this is the first year that no team in the playoffs scare me (like Detroit has for the past few years).

But maybe I'm blind with homerism, that's possible too.

They'll likely win the division (sorry Av fans) and this is the first year that no team in the playoffs scare me (like Detroit has for the past few years).

After Friday night's debacle, I'd be scared of the Blackhawks. They're in Bobby Lu's head. Chicago's very good, but nobody wants to face the Wings in the first round. If the Sharks can actually manage a first round win, I feel like they'll get rolling and be tough to beat. They have it all, and Boyle is a top defenseman.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be a first round matchup of Nucks/Wings.

Seems that the 3 division leaders are all stumbling to the finish line.

The Eastern conference race for the 6,7,8 spots is pathetic. 82 points is the current cut off line. That's 7 points out of 8th place in the West.

Wings win their 7th straight. They are now very scary.

Seem to be following the Pens' pattern from last year. Out of playoffs in February, rolling by April. Hopefully they copy the Pens' pattern all the way through June! Then St. Nick can retire with 5 rings.