Lewiston, Ny 7.19.09

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That setlist is messed. Not that I have the correct one, but it's certainly out of order.

I clearly stated that the setlist wasn't in order. But it seemed everyone else that went to the show went home and went to sleep, so I thought something was better than nothing for those who were interested.

Jeff mentioned during the show that every song requested for the show on the band's website will be included in the setlist.

Well excuse me Jeff, but I'm Always In Love as requested by myself on your website was some how left off the set for whatever reason!

I DEMAND THAT YOU EXPLAIN YOURSELF MR. TWEEDY! YA BASTARD!! :D

I actually requested Candyfloss on the website figuring it had no shot to be played and am surprised it even made the setlist. Anyway, this was my second ever Wilco show after Rochester last year and this was probably my favorite of the two though it's close. It was nice to hear some of the new tunes and the crowd in my opinion seemed really into it which seemed to fire everyone up, certainly made me want to act more like a geeky fan haha.

I think there were only a couple of things that bugged me during the show one of which was the sound. When Conor Oberst played it felt like all the instruments in the band were overwhelming each other and I found it difficult to hear half of his lyrics. Not to mention though this was my personal preference the guy in the MVB that sang Snake Hill should not have been on the mic!

After that what was with all the people needing to make a run for beer? In my aisle I swear I had to be more watchful for the couple of people that kept coming and going during the set for alcohol then watching the show, it was just stupid to me.

All in all, I enjoyed the show and I'm hoping Wilco swings back to NY wherever it is come fall, best band going these days. :)

I procrastinated getting tickets & couldn't get 2 seats inside.

Ended up with lawn seats & was kicking myself.

But, you know, the sound was amazing. Surprisingly great, actually.

Such a strange venue, so glad the weather held up.

The lawn seating was strange, the left side were all mellow & seated (and were total asses about anyone standing up)& the right side were standing & dancing & enjoying themselves.

So happy to hear At Least That's What You Said, Bull Black Nova, and Misunderstood.

Nice to see so many Canadians!

It took us 3.5hours to get back home (just east of Toronto), waited in line by Duty Free for 1/2 hour, didn't move a bit, then my husband took the "commercial trucks only" lane all the way to the front. Got stuck in traffic 3 more times though on the way home. Sucked.

(I've been a member for a while, but I don't think I've posted before. So, uh, hi!)

The sound was very good on the lawn. In fact, it might have been the best part about being on the lawn. In fact, it might have been the only good part of being on the lawn. That's an odd place, but we had a great night anyway.

Fucking Awesome show! Sat in row E and it was perfect.... not trying to sound like snob but they were some of the best seat's I have ever had for a band I simply idolize. On top of that I only had one request and "At least that's what you said" was played and was a face melter.

However I don't understand the thought about the sound being bad, mentioned by a few? I thought it was perfect... but again was pretty close (but not too close one amp rings in your ear all night). Glad the lawn sounded good for everyone up there too.

Nel's and Pat's dueling guitars at the end during Hoodo Voodo was amazing, all and all seemed like the band had a great time and left it all on the stage!

**I pretty much ran through the drill about tapers and the "waiting game" in other threads re: requests for certain shows....however if anybody taped this or knows where to get a copy "please, please" let us know... until then I'll keep hitting refresh :thumbup

didn't think the sound was muddy, just really really loud. earplugs helped that a lot. i would have been miserable w/o them.

video/camera's would be less distracting if people turned off the screens and used the view finders.

I didn't think the sound was awful, but it could have been better. We were in the the fifth row, dead center and the vocals were touch to pick up at times. Definitely a solid setlist, but very similar to this leg of the tour. I was fonder of the list they played in Rochester back in November. Nels was great as usual on Impossible Germany. I thought the highlight of the show was Hoodoo Voodoo. This is number one on my list of Wilco shows just becuase of how close we were. I don't think I have ever been that close to the stage at a big concert. Jeff definitely wasn't as talkative as I have heard him in the past. Don't know if he was just tired or maybe didn't feel like talking. Overall great night. Can't wait to see them again.

Anyone one tape this show audio or video?

Love to see and hear

Saw two rigs, one dead center in the last row of the first tier, one more to the right about 10 rows closer. Sure there's more....

didn't think the sound was muddy, just really really loud. earplugs helped that a lot. i would have been miserable w/o them.

video/camera's would be less distracting if people turned off the screens and used the view finders.

Yeah, some one to the right of me did had a camera, but it wasn't distracting at all. Not like the people behind us, to the left of us, and directly in front of us who felt the middle of the show was a good time to carry on long, loud conversations. Not to mention the crew trying to fix, then wrapping with caution tape, the chair in front of us.....

We drove down from Toronto (what gives with no Toronto show on this tour?). Had a geat time at the show. Art Park really is the oddest venue I've seen. I didn't find the sound too bad on the lawn until closer to the end of the show when it just sounded like the house system was starting to get maxed out.

Thanks again to the really nice couple who gave us a pair of Row "O" aisle seats. The 6 of us that made the trip from Toronto had a blast splitting time between our lawn homebase and the action inside.

the border was murder. If the show hadn't been so good I might have actually regretted making the trip. I always thought the Queenston/Lewiston bridge was the less busy of the two in Niagara Region, but apparently I stand corrected.

I've seen them a dozen times since '03 including 2nd row at the Chicago Aud, Radio City, the Ryman and up close in my own hometown of Ra-cha-cha last year and this last one ranks with the best. 2nd only maybe to the Ryman show last year (and only becuase of venue prestige.) These guys brought it on Sunday and I thought the sound was fine (from row S, at least.) I agree that At Least...was a barn burner and Hoodoo was something that I've never seen before, and I felt like I was witnessing a great and lost artifact from a beautiful and psyche wrenching plane of consciouness (call me gushing.) Have never seen Can't Stand It that I can recall and it rocked more than I thought they could rock it. California Stars was simply a harmonic party and Bull Black Nova borders on high performance art. You Never Know would've made me levitate but you can't have everything. I love this band.

Quick sidenote, hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I think they may have pulled the trigger a little early on the tour doc. These shows need to be filmed and here's hoping some official live audio recordings are put forth sometime.

Artpark is in odd venue. I don't think I'd want to be outside on the grass looking in. From the inside, it seems like you're looking in thru a tiny gap between the roof and ground to see the stage.

It just looked annoying...

1st time poster here.......awesome show, the band is amazing. Guitar duel at the end was kicking, Nels may get all the love but Pat was rocking. This is only the 3rd time I have seen them but I am looking foward to seeing them again. They seem to be really enjoying themselves. Would love to see Jeff solo show if he comes around the Northeast soon

We drove down from Toronto (what gives with no Toronto show on this tour?). Had a geat time at the show. Art Park really is the oddest venue I've seen. I didn't find the sound too bad on the lawn until closer to the end of the show when it just sounded like the house system was starting to get maxed out.

Thanks again to the really nice couple who gave us a pair of Row "O" aisle seats. The 6 of us that made the trip from Toronto had a blast splitting time between our lawn homebase and the action inside.

the border was murder. If the show hadn't been so good I might have actually regretted making the trip. I always thought the Queenston/Lewiston bridge was the less busy of the two in Niagara Region, but apparently I stand corrected.

Great to hear you enjoyed the seats Good Wilco karma Rick and I are driving

Home from Wilco The Vacation we saw 4 shows and loved them all love

Meeting so many great people too

An excellent show. When we heard the opening strains of ELT, we knew it would be an excellent night. We were in the second row of the pit but since there were no 1st row seats in front of us, my wife and I stood against the stage right in front of Pat. It's one thing to be against the stage at a GA show but against the stage at a reserved show when no one is pushing up against you is sweet. No need to reiterate what's been already said. No complaints with the set list, a kick ass mix. I was smiling the whole time. I loved how Jeff was surprised by the banjo. HA!

Conor and the band! Excellent. We totally dug them. Great rock and roll. I'd love to see a headline set.

We camped at 4 Mile Creek Campground in Youngstown, a short drive from Lewiston. We highly recommend it. Our site was right on Lake Ontario. Gorgeous. The sunset and sunrise were spectacular. Very relaxing. Lewiston is a lovely little village also. We enjoyed the local band playing outside of the music store, had pizza at a local dive and had a nice walk around. Beautiful. The next day we went to Niagara falls State Park to see the falls from the US side for the first time (Ontario side in the past). We spent a few hours in Niagara-On-The-Lake and then went back to camp.

We are pumped for Royal Oak in a few hours. Cheers, ya'll.

I was in Wilmington last weekend, then came home and hauled ass to move to a new apartment and still make it up to this show. I was exhausted Sunday and really just wanted a lazy day, but I'm so glad I made the almost seven-hour roundtrip for this one. I was in the third row behind the pit, slightly off to Nels's side, and I thought the sound was much more even than it had been in Wilmington, where I'd been front row in front of Nels and could barely hear John and couldn't hear Pat at all. The venue was definitely strange, though. It felt like a cave, and I pity the people back on the lawn, because they probably couldn't see a thing.

Radio Cure was the highlight for me :wub

I was enjoying Conor's set, and some guy a few rows ahead of me saw me rocking out and started talking to me between songs. He asked me my name at some point, which I didn't think much of at the time, but I wanted to crawl under my seat and die of embarrassment when he yelled "Play a song for Maggie!" before their last song. It was pretty funny that they actually did, though. :blush

I was in Wilmington last weekend, then came home and hauled ass to move to a new apartment and still make it up to this show. I was exhausted Sunday and really just wanted a lazy day, but I'm so glad I made the almost seven-hour roundtrip for this one. I was in the third row behind the pit, slightly off to Nels's side, and I thought the sound was much more even than it had been in Wilmington, where I'd been front row in front of Nels and could barely hear John and couldn't hear Pat at all. The venue was definitely strange, though. It felt like a cave, and I pity the people back on the lawn, because they probably couldn't see a thing.

Radio Cure was the highlight for me :wub

I was enjoying Conor's set, and some guy a few rows ahead of me saw me rocking out and started talking to me between songs. He asked me my name at some point, which I didn't think much of at the time, but I wanted to crawl under my seat and die of embarrassment when he yelled "Play a song for Maggie!" before their last song. It was pretty funny that they actually did, though. :blush

Crazy... I was the girl sitting right behind you. Sure, it was unexpected, but no reason for embarrassment! I thought it was pretty cool:)

Obviously a forum / message board is a place to form and distribute opinions, but man, how cynical are we? Nothing is ever good enough for some.

I thought the sound was muffled and had the lows turned up too high for the Connor Oberst, but by the time Wilco played, it was great. It must have really depended on where you were sitting.

The venue was really like no other I've ever been too, but it was cool that they came there to play.

The guy that got the picture with Tweedy probably caught the thrill of a lifetime when he got the picture with him. It will be a memory that he will tell his grandchildren about. It didn't disrupt the show at all. It looked like Jeff stayed there for the picture... which he obviously did not have to do. I think it's cool that people bring their cameras in and take pics. Thanks to everyone that posted some here, they were are really cool and I'm thankful that you have shared them with us. I'd love to see more.

I thought the set list was phenomenal. They mixed a lot of old in with the new. I would have liked to see "You Never Know," but I was happy that they rocked 25 or so songs instead.

They are all extremely talents, but Nels is one of the best to ever pick up a guitar. He's so innovative. I thought that band was in great spirits and that Jeff was pretty comical.

I can't wait until they come back to WNY. Next time you're at a show, try to just be happy to be there and be healthy enough / able to see the music performed right before your eyes. If you think you're going to have any kind of problem with it, maybe you should let someone else spend the money on a ticket and stay home.

Wilco did love us that night and I thank them for that.

Obviously a forum / message board is a place to form and distribute opinions, but man, how cynical are we? Nothing is ever good enough for some.

I thought the sound was muffled and had the lows turned up too high for the Connor Oberst, but by the time Wilco played, it was great. It must have really depended on where you were sitting.

The venue was really like no other I've ever been too, but it was cool that they came there to play.

The guy that got the picture with Tweedy probably caught the thrill of a lifetime when he got the picture with him. It will be a memory that he will tell his grandchildren about. It didn't disrupt the show at all. It looked like Jeff stayed there for the picture... which he obviously did not have to do. I think it's cool that people bring their cameras in and take pics. Thanks to everyone that posted some here, they were are really cool and I'm thankful that you have shared them with us. I'd love to see more.

I thought the set list was phenomenal. They mixed a lot of old in with the new. I would have liked to see "You Never Know," but I was happy that they rocked 25 or so songs instead.

They are all extremely talents, but Nels is one of the best to ever pick up a guitar. He's so innovative. I thought that band was in great spirits and that Jeff was pretty comical.

I can't wait until they come back to WNY. Next time you're at a show, try to just be happy to be there and be healthy enough / able to see the music performed right before your eyes. If you think you're going to have any kind of problem with it, maybe you should let someone else spend the money on a ticket and stay home.

Wilco did love us that night and I thank them for that.

I agree with everything you've said here except the point about cameras. Enjoy the show, stand up, dance, smoke em if you got em, whatever.

My issue is with people sitting 100 yards away from the stage and taking out a crappy cell phone to take self-portraits of themselves with the stage behind them. It is distracting. Especially when the group proceeds to huddle together after snapping away to review their accomplishments. Save it for the ride home. And don't tell me Jeff posed for the photo...that's BS. I have read quotes from him in the past about how he finds camera phones at shows a huge distraction. The band is gracious enough to allow tapers, they actually put out a healthy number of live recordinds and DVDs and they always post high quality photos on their site. What good is a low res, blurry image taken from 200 yards away? I'd rather remember the music and the shared concert experience instead of the camera flashes and glow of LCD screens.

I enjoyed the Rochester show more due to the sound being better and my location (5th row, right in front of Pat) but this show was great, I enjoyed the set list much more this time. My friend that I brought with me had never been to a Wilco show and only really heard a few songs by them before hand, usually in my car. She loved it, she had a great time and I think it may have made her a fan. A funny little story from the night, my friend went out to use the bathroom and grab a beer, she stopped by the merch table to by a tote bag. As she was standing there this guy said hi to her and she casually said hi back but felt weird because he was standing there looking at her, as she was walking away she realized it was Conor bc he was wearing one of those hats. Then she put a cigarette in her mouth and went to grab her lighter out of her pocket and immediately some one shoved a lighter in her face and it was one of the members of MVB, after he lit her cigarette he asked if he could bum one off of her. She ended up smoking one with him and came back into the show.

Agree about Rochester, from the opening bars of Forget The Flowers that show was pure magic, and the crowd really won Jeff over. I was also sitting much closer and the sound was good (if just a bit too loud).

Sorry if my comments about Lewiston were negative....I've been in a funk lately in general.

If I hadn't seen Wilco twice before (shows I liked more for various reasons), then this would have been the best concert I'd ever seen, hands down. I had a good time, aforementioned issues aside. Thank you Wilco for coming back to WNY and giving us a great show!