Wilco, 2009 July 21, Royal Oak, Michigan

Brooklyn was the same set list from Delaware, 2 nights before, with the exception of "Box Full of Letters" (which was still awesome, my first time hearing this live) in Delaware and "You and I" in Brooklyn. Both shows were great, but I would rather go for a more obscure set list than special guests.

Both shows were still really great but I'm not used to the guys sticking to a set list so tight throughout a tour. I guess I was hoping for more surprises seeing that I traveled from Mass to see two shows in one weekend.

And for the top requested songs, I guess they pretty much just play what they want out of the list. What else can I say? I love hearing anything off of Summerteeth live, who doesn't? I think Tanglewoods 2008 was favorite show: nudie suits, "Can't Stand It" "Summerteeth"...and a sweet venue.

And the one biggest thing I still can't get used to at Wilco shows: the larger crowds and less heckling...it's hard for me to picture Jeff as an arena rocker though he's done already.

...that's all my thoughts for now.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good time last night and did record the show. To my knowledge I was the only one. The previous comments about the sound were pretty accurate. It is a boomy room with poor acoustics and it is reflected in the recording. Stan did a great job and after the first two songs, he got it sounding better, but it is just not an ideal venue for music. All that said, it is very listenable and besides, there weren't be any other sources! The torrent can be found on etree:

schoeps mk41>nbox>sonyd50

:w00t Thank you SO much!!! Can't wait to hear it!

hmm, now WHY on earth was ELT the top requested song that show drew?? :shifty :thumbup

:lol

hmm, now WHY on earth was ELT the top requested song that show drew?? :shifty :thumbup

The real question is why were people voting Spiders? Maybe this is my game theory sense tingling but you vote for things you want to hear that you normally don't hear, right? If a song is guaranteed, don't vote for it.

- Saw Glen after the show going to the bus, and someone was talking with him about how they hadn't played one of the songs in the set in 5 years. Anyone know which song this was? Summer Teeth? Reservations?

It had to be Kicking Television, the planned closer that was replaced with I'm A Wheel. According to Wilco Base, KTV hasn't been played since May of '05.

I would have loved to have heard KT; however, I have an unabashed love of "I'm A Wheel" as a closer. It's far and away my favorite way to end a night.

i love GA shows.

Yes. I was reminded of that at the Pabst this spring. I love that theatre, but I love GA more.

Also, a missed "Detroit-ish" mic moment last night: "Kick out the jams, motherfuckers!"

I had a good time last night and did record the show. To my knowledge I was the only one. The previous comments about the sound were pretty accurate. It is a boomy room with poor acoustics and it is reflected in the recording. Stan did a great job and after the first two songs, he got it sounding better, but it is just not an ideal venue for music. All that said, it is very listenable and besides, there weren't be any other sources! The torrent can be found on etree:

Nice!!! That didn't take long at all. Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks for taping. I used to tape all the time and sometimes still do......it's a lot of work, so thanks again.

The real question is why were people voting Spiders? Maybe this is my game theory sense tingling but you vote for things you want to hear that you normally don't hear, right? If a song is guaranteed, don't vote for it.

I think most of those votes probably come from people who don't look at setlists and stuff like that. The average fan has no clue what gets played on a regular basis.

I voted for I'll Fight. :thumbup

More importantly: I know one person has said that pictures will be posted, but was everyone else really scared off by the "no cameras" rule???

Actually, the signs really were scary. :blink They said the would take your camera and destroy your memory card, a chance no one wanted to take, of course. The irony is that once Wilco took the stage, there wasn't a red security shirt to be seen up front. (Evidence of such: two-time stage diver, two "surprise guests" on CA Stars, people in front of the rail on the far end of the stage, etc.) Of course, once the show was over, security was back in full force: "OutSIDE people! Let's go! Unless you're buying something, you need to leave!"

Also, a missed "Detroit-ish" mic moment last night: "Kick out the jams, motherfuckers!"

Oh god, yes. :lol

Actually, the signs really were scary. :blink They said the would take your camera and destroy your memory card, a chance no one wanted to take, of course.

Wow. Yeah, I've never seen anything that strongly worded. Very odd, and very disappointing. I'll live through the descriptions, though. :yes

Oh god, yes. :lol

Wow. Yeah, I've never seen anything that strongly worded. Very odd, and very disappointing. I'll live through the descriptions, though. :yes

It did pretty much say everything except having to give up your first born.

I take these warnings seriously since the time I went to an Elvis Costello show a few years back (when camera phones were less common and really not good for any sort of detailed photography) and security actually told you to either take your phone back to your car or throw it away!!! They really meant it too!

For people who take the camera signs seriously, just be cautious with your camera. Hide it on you when you are walking in, just in case you get a pat down. Look around a little bit before you take a pic and never use your flash. Flash pics during a concert never turn out well. If you need the flash in order to take the picture, then the picture isn't worth taking...IMO.

Yes! A big, big thank you!!!

Just got back from our Michigan jaunt now, easily best Wilco show I have ever been to and this was my 9th.

BTW we have the setlist (and a signed drum stick from Glenn, yussss) and the last song was supposed to be Kicking Television not I'm A Wheel, yes I know...

Also Sunken Treasure was supposed to open the first encore.

So goddamn awesome!

Nice to meet all you nice gracious people!

Back in a bit with more detail!

has anyone been able to pull this down in it's entirety? I've had it going for over 24hrs now and I'm only at 60%. Would someone with a complete copy kindly re-seed? :)

(yes, I'm an impatient SOB ;) )

(btw, thank you jmwils1 for recording it in the first place!)

I feel like the first time I saw the guitar duel, it was a guitar... three-el? No wait, that's not right. :lol

DSC03279a.JPG

I think that's it! Des Moines, 2006? I'm not 100% sure, because it looks like the thread for that show was lost in the big VC crash of '06, but if I recall correctly, Ms. B, you were there, too. ;)

:lol You know, I had a vague memory of that. Thanks for the reminder! But it wasn't previously as much of a "competition" as alternating solos culminating in a jam, right? It would be fun to see the current faceoff extended to Jeff. As important a role as he plays now, standing back and being entertained, I think the audience could cover that. (I don't blame him for wanting to observe the spectacle, though. It's not something the frontman gets to do too much during a typical concert.)

This was my first Wilco show. My roommate had been telling me for weeks leading up to the show that, no matter how many live DVDs, bootlegs and video clips I watch, nothing compares to seeing them live. I assumed this was just music nerd hyperbole, but he was right. There's something intangiable+great about the band live that I can't quite describe. Tweedy, his genius and awkwardly charismatic stage banter have a lot to do with it, but the whole group really seems to come together in a way I didn't expect. Not only do they all seem at the top of their game, technically, but everyone seems to genuinely have a good time performing.

Highlights for me:

* "A Magazine Called Sunset" - My roommate and I had a major "wouldn't be sweet if" discussion about this song, as we listened to some of the demos for YHF on the way to the show. When he started playing it, I nearly exploded in OMG's.

* My request on the site was "Summer Teeth," so I'm going to assume that I'm solely responsible for it getting played.

* It was really great hearing "In a Future Age" played, even though it seems like a song so mellow, it's doomed to be overlooked in that sort of setting.

* Someone else commented on this - there was this great extra flourish at the end of "Can't Stand It." I've never heard it played by the current incarnation of Wilco, and I think the song definately benefits from Nels Cline+friends' influence.

* I've always kinda hated "Hate it Here" and "walken," but seeing them live changed my mind.

* I love that "Hummingbird" gives Tweedy a chance to rock without burdon of an instrument.

* Hearing "Impossible Germany" and "I'm the Man Who Loves You" really made me wonder why more of the world's population fall all over themselves when they hear Wilco, and why my local rock radio stations are stuck playing the same garbage they've been playing since the mid-nineties.

* They couldn't have picked a better first encore, really. "Poor Places" blending into "Reservations," and then into "Spiders" bordered on perfection. Way to sound epic, Wilco.

* Hearing "California Stars" and "Hoodoo Voodoo" proved to me that I've been an big dummy for not jumping into the Billy Bragg+Wilco albums sooner. Holy shit!

My only complaint was this drunk dude behind us, who kept trying to bro-friend us by drunkenly encouraging us to dance and scream like he was. I don't emote a lot while watching a concert, I admit, and it must look like I'm not having any fun, so I've caught a lot of this "aren't you having any fun" nonsense at other shows, but this dude wouldn't quit! He was one of those annoying types that feels the need to scream the lyrics to the song seconds before the leader singer does (I'll NEVER understand why people need to do this. There were even people like this when I saw Tom Waits a couple years back). Plus, he kept screaming out requests to songs you know there's no way in hell they'd play (the most ridiculous was "Jolly Banker," which he insisted they play during the final encore). I ended up telling him to leave me the fuck alone, at some point during "California Stars," and thankfully, he listened. He looked kinda hurt, too. Maybe he didn't realize how obnoxious he was being, but one sort of assumes that somebody would catch the drift when someone ignores every attempt you make to engage them in conversation.

That shit's on the drunk dude, not Wilco, though. I had a great time, and would kill a baby if it got me a chance to see the band again.

Just kidding (about the babies, not Wilco).

@jmwils1 Thanx for the recording!!