Wilco, 2009 July 21, Royal Oak, Michigan

:lol You know, I had a vague memory of that. Thanks for the reminder! But it wasn't previously as much of a "competition" as alternating solos culminating in a jam, right? It would be fun to see the current faceoff extended to Jeff. As important a role as he plays now, standing back and being entertained, I think the audience could cover that. (I don't blame him for wanting to observe the spectacle, though. It's not something the frontman gets to do too much during a typical concert.)

I almost always feel bad for Pat at this point in the show. No matter how hard he tries, how talented he is, how crowd-pleasing ( :dancing ), he's facing off against the guy who's been shredding his head off for the entire show up until that point. Pat could literally set the venue on fire, and the crowd would still lose it for Nels.

LOLPIZZA, welcome to VC! :wave Yay for you, getting to hear Magazine Called Sunset (and a bunch of other great ones, too) at your first show! :thumbup

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost always feel bad for Pat at this point in the show. No matter how hard he tries, how talented he is, how crowd-pleasing ( :dancing ), he's facing off against the guy who's been shredding his head off for the entire show up until that point. Pat could literally set the venue on fire, and the crowd would still lose it for Nels.

I was about 5 rows of people away from front and center stage, and I couldn't see Nels Cline because there were several 6'2+ dudes all in my line of sight of Nels and Mikael Jorgenson so I focused on watching Pat more often than usual. It was kind of disappointing that one of the stage girls didn't get the hint from Pat on what the rhythm for California Stars was, but I'm pretty sure everyone inside the theater felt good about the entire night of reciprocations.

has anyone been able to pull this down in it's entirety? I've had it going for over 24hrs now and I'm only at 60%. Would someone with a complete copy kindly re-seed? :)

I don't think you totally understand how bit torrent works.

It was kind of disappointing that one of the stage girls didn't get the hint from Pat on what the rhythm for California Stars was, but I'm pretty sure everyone inside the theater felt good about the entire night of reciprocations.

The arrhythmic girl was not one of the "stage girls" pulled up on stage by the band...She and another girl came up on their own a bit later and crashed the party.

Why am I telling you this? I was one of the girls pulled up there and don't want to be known as having no rhythm! :lol

The arrhythmic girl was not one of the "stage girls" pulled up on stage by the band...She and another girl came up on their own a bit later and crashed the party.

Why am I telling you this? I was one of the girls pulled up there and don't want to be known as having no rhythm! :lol

Don't worry, the four or five around Pat's microphone did not fall off rhythm (and if they did, the deviation wasn't very noticeable). :P

I was so excited when they started that! So far I've been very lucky with that song. I think Tenerife is the only full-band outing I've missed. (Talk about unsustainable.)

Wait, did I read your comment right, you've only missed one show? This tour? How do you do this? I am both jealous and very curious but understand that perhaps you may not want to divulge full details to a stranger in a public forum. Keep it up Perferred B and perhaps I will cross paths with you on a west coast show next year.

Wait, did I read your comment right, you've only missed one show? This tour? How do you do this? I am both jealous and very curious but understand that perhaps you may not want to divulge full details to a stranger in a public forum. Keep it up Perferred B and perhaps I will cross paths with you on a west coast show next year.

:lol I don't think you're reading that quite the way I meant it. I've only missed one full-band performance of "I'll Fight." They haven't played it very much; that's a total of four shows. Mostly luck (and maybe a well-placed request once.)

They might have played it in MN last night; I haven't seen any reports from that show.

:lol I don't think you're reading that quite the way I meant it. I've only missed one full-band performance of "I'll Fight." They haven't played it very much; that's a total of four shows. Mostly luck (and a well-placed request once.)

They might have played it in MN last night; I haven't seen any reports from that show.

Call me a bad Wilco fan but is Let's Fight an earlier version of I'll Fight? I never heard the Track Let's Fight which I noticed was played in 2006??!

PS...

I never heard

Dark Neon

More Like The Moon

Woodgrain

Just a Kid

Yep I know..

:lol I don't think you're reading that quite the way I meant it. I've only missed one full-band performance of "I'll Fight." They haven't played it very much; that's a total of four shows. Mostly luck (and maybe a well-placed request once.)

My bad - now that I re-read it makes total sense. I was caught up in the moment!

Oh a different note, VC is a great forum! I saw three shows in a row on the west coast and I love reading about how little or much the sets and stage antics change (dueling guitars on hoodoo voodoo, someone from the audience strumming JT's guitar during spiders to girls being asked on stage to sing along!) from one show to the next. Looking forward to next year's tour and until then I will imagine being at all the other shows in between from the lovely folks on VC. thank you!

Oh a different note, VC is a great forum! I saw three shows in a row on the west coast and I love reading about how little or much the sets and stage antics change

:wave Welcome to VC! If you love this kind of nit-picky nonsense, you will fit right in here. :lol

Do you know about Wilcobase? http://wilcobase.com/ You'll probably enjoy that, too. :yes

My first post here on the forum! This was my 3rd show here in Detroit. We saw them at Meadowbrook and the Fox prior to this show. About 15 minutes in for me I started getting the feeling that this show was going to be something else entirely. They just seemed to be having so much fun together and feeding off the crowd.

The encores were just outstanding. We were on the second tier of the floor stage left and you could watch the guitar tech keep getting a new guitar and you just thought it was never going to end.

I am 6'4" and was standing at the rail so I apologize to the vertically challenged behind me, but my 5'2" wife was in front of me, so I was just "protecting" her.

Great Taping Thanks so much!

hey taper guy(jmwils?)...star of the week!!! THANKS! any chance i could ask for mp3 version...zipfile and winrar are as detailed as i get; no torrent flac knowledge here. thanks for ALL your good work. you might indeed enjoy MY brooklyn recording. aside from MUCH female chatter and such, a GREAT FEEL of the live show to it....trebly, but kinda sweet!

I had a good time last night and did record the show. To my knowledge I was the only one. The previous comments about the sound were pretty accurate. It is a boomy room with poor acoustics and it is reflected in the recording. Stan did a great job and after the first two songs, he got it sounding better, but it is just not an ideal venue for music. All that said, it is very listenable and besides, there weren't be any other sources! The torrent can be found on etree:

schoeps mk41>nbox>sonyd50

Man, the recording was EXCELLENT! Not a ton of talkers around you, eh? I think you did a really stellar job, especially since the acoustics were less than ideal. Still, what energy! What a crowd! What a band! :wub

Thank you SO, SO much for giving us a chance to hear the show again! :cheekkiss

Man, the recording was EXCELLENT! Not a ton of talkers around you, eh? I think you did a really stellar job, especially since the acoustics were less than ideal. Still, what energy! What a crowd! What a band! :wub

Thank you SO, SO much for giving us a chance to hear the show again! :cheekkiss

aw come on now...i really need the mp3: zipfiles, megaupload, winrar thingies that i've mastered...HELP! thanks, ba

If you can figure out that stuff, you can figure out Bit Torrent. It's no big deal, once you get the hang of it.

believe me my friend ANALOG, i too am old school. it's true...i surprised myself learning what i have so far. but, these torrents i have tried DOZENS of times with loads of help from others....it's just out of my grasp. born a touch too early! so, i'll wait patiently. thanks, ba

Hi everyone. I just joined the forum. I live in Dearborn, MI and am a relatively new Wilco fan. I actually have had their album, "Summerteeth" about 8 years, but it never clicked with me. It was recommended by an internet friend and was nothing like the other 20+ albums he recommended for me that I liked. But I always kept it, hoping it would click with me somehow. Then I found myself watching them from the 2nd row on Dec. 7, 2008 when they opened for Neil Young. I was very impressed and remembered "Shot In The Arm" from the CD I had in my collection. I also enjoyed all the other songs I was hearing that night. It was around this time that PBS replayed their "Austin City Limits" episode and I still have that on my DVR, having enjoyed that thoroughly as well. In the next few months, I bought up all the studio albums, the live album, 2 Uncle Tupelo discs, and the "Ashes of American Flags" DVD. Let's just say this year has been a very Tweedy year for me. A crash course in all things Wilco I can get my hands on. Then I happily found myself in Royal Oak Tuesday night for one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen. An incredible 31 songs in a whopping 2 hours 40 minutes. I had never seen anything like it. As others have noted, after each song the guitar tech would bring Jeff a new guitar. It never seemed to end. It was incredible. And thank you jmwils1 for the recording. Great to be able to relive.

I'm glad I found this forum.. I just wanted to say hi.

Andrew

Hey Andrew. :wave It seems like you picked an excellent show to make your first Wilco (only) show. This is a great place to feed your obsession interest. Welcome!

Ha! It's funny to see the looks on our faces when those random girls came up! Too funny!

Thanks for posting the pics, BCart!