Megafaun - Gather, Form, & Fly

l_eb6056f6592c7a5baf16f48d05ea55a4.jpg

One of my favorite records of the year so far came out yesterday. It's pretty stunning (esp. The Longest Day & Guns).

The album definitely has some elements that remind me of YHF at times.

Megafaun are made up of 3 ex-members of DeYarmond Edison, a band which featured a certain Justin Vernon ;) , and have also toured as Akron/Family's backing band

anywho, here's what Justin had to say about the record:

July 19th, 2009

Megafaun: there are proud moments, and then there are proud moments

on tuesday, my best friends on the face of the whole damn earth, will release a record of songs to the world. This record astonished me the first time i heard it. Astonished. Weeks later it broke me down in tears. Weeks later still listening, it unveils new layers in itself and it is literally rearranging how I perceive the power of music. please, if you know if you have had moments like this listening to music in your life, sit with this one. sit, sit, sit and let it quell you. its unbelievable - what these three dudes have sat down and accomplished in the art form of making a recording. It boggles my spirit.

It is an entire testament to who they are, who and where they came from, and who they can and hope to be - as people. My god. It is so enriching.

their first record 'Bury The Square' is really good too, but this new one is something else. they're also really REALLY fucking great live too (just saw 'em again last night).

i know uwmryan is a huge fan as well, but figured this album/band deserves it's own thread.

• 2 months later...

Saw these guys open for the Ruby Suns and the Dodos recently. I went into this show blind, and of the three bands these guys really stood out. Picked up the vinyl after the show and was impressed on the first listen. Looking forward to getting to know this album.

Saw these guys open for the Ruby Suns and the Dodos recently. I went into this show blind, and of the three bands these guys really stood out. Picked up the vinyl after the show and was impressed on the first listen. Looking forward to getting to know this album.

Impressions of the Past is maybe the "underrated" track on there. it's amazing, but i kind of glossed over it at first.

• 7 months later...

hey wondering if you guys can help me out looking for a video and im pretty sure its of megafaun and its of them playing on a street maybe in europe like outside on the footpath at a cafe? any idea if this is megafaun and knows where i can watch it?