• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Matsuzaka is quoted as saying in a recently published article on the Japanese website Allatanys. "The only reason why I managed to win games during the first and second years [in the United States] was because I used the savings of the shoulder I built up in Japan. Since I came to the Major Leagues, I couldn't train in my own way, so now I've lost all those savings."

Doesn't Matsuzaka know that losing those savings is the American way?

What if you trade Ross in order to add a piece?

it had better be a damn good piece.

One thing I was hearing yesterday from a guy who works at foxsports was that the reds, marlins and Yankees were discussing a three way deal where we give up hermida and Ross and get aurthur Rhodes, 'a bat' and prospects.

That would not fly for me unless we're talking a pretty substantial bat. And I can't see anyone on the Yankees or reds that makes much sense for us as a clear improvement over Ross and hermida that is also cost effective.

I know we wanted melky cabrera a few years back, but if that's the bat I would be utterly dissapointed.

While it's obviously a good pickup for the phillies, I'd be a bit wary of him in citizens bank.

His success over the past two years has been the result of inducing more grounders and keeping the ball in the yard, the latter point was greatly helped by his home park, which has been one of the worst to hit home runs in. Now he's moving to a launching pad.

If his HR/9 goes up to closer to 1, he's no longer an ace, but is merely a very good pitcher.

Why? The Indians don't seem to be getting a lot of out it, and an already lackluster pitching staff just got a WHOLE lot worse.

Most things I have read suggest that they got quite a package of prospects--just a notch or so lower than what the Phils were offering for Halladay.

Most things I have read suggest that they got quite a package of prospects--just a notch or so lower than what the Phils were offering for Halladay.

they didn't get drabek, though I don't get why he's so untouchable. They got 4 of their top 10 prospects, which is a good haul, but halladay was going to fetch more.

Each one of the four prospects the Phillies gave up were more highly regarded last year. RHP Carrasco is having a horrible year with an ERA over 5.00; RHP Knapp is currently being held back with "arm discomfort," meaning they are babying him to keep his innings down (He does still throw in the mid-90's, though.); SS Donald played well in the lower minors, but is striking out more this year, maybe because of his recovery from knee surgery is not complete; and Marson was projected to comptete for the Phils' starting C job this year, but has hit only 1 HR in AAA so far this year.

Yes, these prospects were in the Phils' top ten, but each have more question marks than they did a year ago and not one of them was the number one prospect for Philly. Lee is the reigning Cy Young winner with an ERA of 3.14 in the AL. His 7-9 record is not a reflection of his pitching, rather it's a reflection of an awful Cleveland Indians team. Cleveland probably needed to trade Lee and some others, but with Lee making only $9M next year, plus throwing in a valuable reserve outfielder - something the Phils needed badly - the Tribe should have gotten better prospects with less risks.

Time always tells how a trade works out, but in the here-and-now, Cleveland settled for less.

For the record, my favorite teams are the Orioles and the Phillies. Thank you, Mark Shapiro.

I am not happy with the Indians organization. I know Shapiro is a smart and good GM, but he's given very few pieces to work with and even less money to do it with. So in a way it starts with the ownership (unwilling to spend some). The Indians are constantly getting the short shrift and can't be competitive if this continues. I know that we're a smaller market team and we can't afford to spend like the Yankees or the BoSox, but I get the feeling that we're running into the Pittsburgh Pirates problem: trading away players when they finally fulfill their potential and become great. First CC, and now Cliff Lee. If only this year we had a lock on the Cy Young again, we could then trade that player next year before the deadline. :ohwell

Yeah, I saw "Last post: A minute ago by: bobbob1313" and said 'fuck, he saw it.'

Whatever - my thing is as always: assume everyone in the past twenty years has juiced, and you'll never be disappointed.

Just as with arod, I think it's absolute bullshit that his name came out. Someone is obviously trying to milk this story.

Release the whole fucking list.

I'm not even a little bit surprised, though.

Just as with arod, I think it's absolute bullshit that his name came out. Someone is obviously trying to milk this story.

Release the whole fucking list.

I'm not even a little bit surprised, though.

As you say, someone is trying to milk the story. The Times gets a reliable ratings boost every time they leak a name, so they're not going to release the whole list any time soon, and the list is sealed by court order, so neither the government nor MLB is going to just release the list.

One of the doctors I worked with in Providence thought Ortiz was juicing when he kept having knee problems and heartbeat irregularity in 06. Looks like he was on to something.

I like people who say they would be surprised if Ken Griffey and Derek jeter came out as users, and that's it.

Yes, very surprising that ultra competitive people with millions of dollars on the line would do whatever they reasonably could to improve. There is literally nobody I would be surprised about.

And yes, I know. Some people don't like the health effects and all that, but whatever. On the whole, the incentive to take was so great that I'm not going to be shocked or outraged that anyone tool it. People have been trying to get a leg up however they could as longas the game has existed. Technology and resources finally caught up with their motivation in the 90's.