Essential Vinyl Purchases?

I just got a new turntable (Stanton T62). I hadn't listened to my record collection in about 5 years (Used to use my dads turntable at home). So I really haven't bought a new record in years. Which albums do you say should be on my short list for vinyl? Are they albums that just need to be heard on vinyl verse cd.

Although all below are not necessarily new my short list for immediate purchase is

Elliott Smith XO, Either/Or

Radiohead The Bends, Ok Computer

REM Everything past Green!

Cure Boys Don't Cry, Faith

Wilco Being There, Yankee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

One of the best-sounding pieces of vinyl that I have ever heard. Made to be heard on wax.

I love my copy of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless on 180 gram. Sounds amazing.

Ha..I just purchased that on cd! I just saw them live last week (Part of All Points West) and realized I don't have any of their albums so I picked up Loveless and should have it at my door this weekend!

You actually have a "record store"? I didn't think those existed anymore.....

Around here, theres probably 10 or 15 I circulate among, with a handful being really exceptional.

Anyway, in response to the OP's question...its impossible to answer. Vinyl is simply the format, most people cant tell the difference in sound anyway. Your receiver and speakers are far more important than the turntable or the grade of vinyl. Whats essential is what you like.

Iron and Wine - Shepherd's Dog vinyl sounds real nice. Sounds like Sam's sitting in your living room. The Band of Horses lps sound much better than their cd counterparts. Fleet Foxes vinyl is nice, as is the latest Sonic Youth.

It's easier to point out a few labels to avoid in general, some of the titles may be ok but they have more bad sounding releases than good ones. Those would include 4 Men with a Beard, Simply Vinyl, and the Back To Black reissues.

RTI is a very good pressing plant.

Matador uses them. I've been happy, though the Mogwai record (Hawk is Howling) was a bit noisier than i expected.

i think the Wilco records sound amazing on vinyl. really well done.

say that reminds me, many of the Lost Highway releases have been hit and miss regarding their vinyl quality. I've actually had good luck but there are tons of stories about how bad the Nasheville pressing plant is that they use. They had to recall that last Shelby Lynne album as the first pressing was getting returned by customers at a very high rate.

Vinyl is simply the format, most people cant tell the difference in sound anyway.

I disagree - the sound difference between an mp3 and an aiff file is one thing, but I think most people can tell whether what they're listening to is on vinyl or not.

Plus, there's the experience of listening to a record, which alone makes it much more than "just a format."

I'm not saying you don't appreciate vinyl or whatever - I'm just saying the arguments you've used are not all that valid.

• 2 months later...

Your receiver and speakers are far more important than the turntable

So I'm really getting back into vinyl and wondering if this statement above is true. I have maybe the lowest line Sony turntable and am wondering if records would sound even better with a "nicer" one. I mean, they differ in price so much I have to assume there are sound differences.

i would imagine that price differences in turntables would be far easier to hear than price differences in cd players.

Compared to CD players, the choice of a turntable is obviously more important. But unless you plan on being a professional DJ, theres absolutely no reason to shell out $500 on that component.

I still maintain that if you're going to spend money on a home stereo setup, the most important thing is first and foremost the speakers, secondly the receiver, and lastly the turntable. A good set of speakers can make the difference between night and day. You may be able to discern a difference in turntable, but I really think people put too much emphasis on it.

I have maybe the lowest line Sony turntable and am wondering if records would sound even better with a "nicer" one. I mean, they differ in price so much I have to assume there are sound differences.

The expensive turntables are usually direct drive...the stuff you see DJ's using. It allows for instantaneous stop/stars, the ability to adjust speed, and to scratch/play records backwards, etc. Theres no reason an average consumer needs a Technics 1200. Lets face it, turntables are an ancient format. By this point in the game, even the low end belt driven models have been perfected to do an adequate job. In fact, the vintage stuff being sold in garage sales or sitting in your grandmothers attic is the best possible gear you could pick up.

Essential vinyl purchases? I made them between 1964 and 1987 and they are all in boxes in my garage.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Can I buy them???

LouieB

Lets face it, turntables are an ancient format. By this point in the game, even the low end belt driven models have been perfected to do an adequate job. In fact, the vintage stuff being sold in garage sales or sitting in your grandmothers attic is the best possible gear you could pick up.

All true.....actually turntables are 100 year old technology...!!(well at least 60 years if you count only LPs.)

LouieB