I, myself only just came over to the dark side.

Nick blows me away.

I, myself only just came over to the dark side.

Nick blows me away.

I read he describes songs from the 70s & 80s as The Old Testament and the 90s & on as The New Testament. Thinking of going on to Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! and The Grindermen release next. :yes

Cool! Thanks, I'll check those out.

Also, PLEASE check out Live Seeds.

Has ferocious versions of a lot of his best tracks.

And, if you want to get tangential with Nick stuff... you need to go back into his catalog and hear the old stuff he did with The Birthday Party.

And then, you need to hear the solo stuff from his old bass player.

Also, PLEASE check out Live Seeds.

Has ferocious versions of a lot of his best tracks.

And, if you want to get tangential with Nick stuff... you need to go back into his catalog and hear the old stuff he did with The Birthday Party.

And then, you need to hear the solo stuff from his old bass player.

yeah, if you like the Jesus Lizard you will definitely hear where they got some of their ideas from (The Birthday Party)...also, for a bit more difficult listen, you can check out Blixa's band Einsturzende Neubaten.

and 2007's solo record from original seed Mick Harvey is also quite good.

Also, this album:

Blue Ruin - Flame

133655.jpg

(which features former Birthday Party drummer, Phil Calvert) is pretty good Cave-esque dark, bluesy rock.

Good luck finding it, though.

I went through a big Nick Cave phase a few year's back. He is very intense so I can't listen to him all the time, just in little phases. My favourite records are:

1) And No More Shall We Part;

2) Let Love In;

3) The Boatman's Call;

4) Dig, Lazerus, Dig;

5) Murder Ballads.

The Grinderman record is also pretty good stuff. Nice and rockin'. Lyrically 'No More Shall We Part' is absolute genius, especially the first track 'As I Sat Sadly By Her Side'. That songs gives me goose-bumps its so powerful.

I picked up Nocturama, because I really dug the track "Bring it On", especially after seeing it on Letterman.

Nocturama is widely considered as his worst delivery.

Imo, No More Shall we Part and Let Love In are his best. Abbatoir Blues/Lyre on the other hand isn't quite as good as some people want you to believe.

"Let Love In" is where I started years ago. He is intense... I have never seen him live, but I've loads of friends who have and they hold him in very high esteem. "Murder Ballads" is another favorite. I have several holes in my Nick collection, and need to pick up a few more. I have "Nocturma" but I can't recall when I last listened to it. There's just so much music out there, so little time.

Haven't heard anyone mention "Grinderman" yet. It's a side project of Cave's. I did not like it on the initial (and only) listen. Maybe I need to revisit it, but I much preferred "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" to the Grinderman self-title release.

Nocturama is widely considered as his worst delivery.

Imo, No More Shall we Part and Let Love In are his best. Abbatoir Blues/Lyre on the other hand isn't quite as good as some people want you to believe.

I agree that Abbatoir Blues/Lyre got way too much praise when it was released. It can be condensed down into a good single album (as indeed can 90% of double albums).

one of the best shows Ive seen was Cave last year at the Riv. Dude throws more into his shows than guys half his age...doing mid-air karate kicks and strutting around stage like some kind of possessed, depraved preacher.

Let love In is a great album.

still gives me chills.

And yea, do NOT pass up the

album.
  • 3 years later...