• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

Why would you not want to hire Weis. He's a proven commodity as an offensive coordinator.

Honestly, I just don't want to have to look at him on the sidelines. If he wore a baggy, untucked shirt, maybe, but I can't stand him with his tight, hiked-up pants.

As far as his coaching goes, you can't argue with a guy that's been the offensive coordinator/assistant for 4 super bowl teams.

EDIT: I should say for 4 super bowl CHAMPIONS

Edited by Runaway Jim

He has a winning record at the college level.

For a coach at a university that clings desperately to its storied football history and its grandiose notions of its rightful place atop the national rankings, a .565 winning percentage is failure.

Especially when they fired a guy with a .583 winning percentage to hire him.

For a coach at a university that clings desperately to its storied football history and its grandiose notions of its rightful place atop the national rankings, a .565 winning percentage is failure.

Especially when they fired a guy with a .583 winning percentage to hire him.

Until it relaxes its academic standards a little, that's the best Notre Dame can hope for.

Until it relaxes its academic standards a little, that's the best Notre Dame can hope for.

Exactly. With the dissapearance of the student athelete, Notre Dame will never win in this environment. I actually liked Weis simply because his offense was fun to watch. And they lost very close games all year and I'm convinced if Weis would've had one more year with the same team the outcome would've been a bit different..maybe 2 or 3 losses instead of 6. Until they lower there standards to that of a community college they will never play for a national championship.

Exactly. With the dissapearance of the student athelete, Notre Dame will never win in this environment. I actually liked Weis simply because his offense was fun to watch. And they lost very close games all year and I'm convinced if Weis would've had one more year with the same team the outcome would've been a bit different..maybe 2 or 3 losses instead of 6. Until they lower there standards to that of a community college they will never play for a national championship.

I think you're absolutely correct, and it makes me very sad. These are very different times. ND had 3 championships in 15 years, but it's been 21 since the last one. :ohwell

The eternal quandary - do we want to become a 'football factory' in order to win the championship, or do we just maintain the academic reputation and play middle-of-the-road football.

I think you're absolutely correct, and it makes me very sad. These are very different times. ND had 3 championships in 15 years, but it's been 21 since the last one. :ohwell

The eternal quandary - do we want to become a 'football factory' in order to win the championship, or do we just maintain the academic reputation and play middle-of-the-road football.

It's a different time thanks to scholarship limits and television. Now, everybody is on TV, not just Notre Dame. And prestigious programs can't just stockpile talent.

Guest Runaway Jim

Lovie's not going anywhere

I like Lovie Smith - he's a nice guy - but if he won't fire Ron Turner, then he needs to be fired.

The Bears offense...

They rank 31st in rush attempts

They rank 31st in rushing yards

They rank 31st in rushing yards per games

They rank tied for 27th in yards-per-rush average

They rank 26th in rushing touchdowns

They rank 8th in pass attempts, but tied for 16th in pass yards

They rank 19th in yards-per-pass average

They rank 15th in passing touchdowns, but rank tied for 3rd in interceptions thrown

They rank tied for 15th in sacks allowed.

They rank tied for 16th in passing yards-per-game

They rank 10th in receptions, but 17th in receiving yards

They rank 26th in yards-per-catch

They rank 15th in receiving touchdowns and 17th in receiving yards per game

They rank 26th in first downs - 32nd in rushing first downs and 22nd in passing first downs

They rank tied for 19th in 3rd percentage and 22nd in 4th down percentage

They rank 10th for most offensive penalties for the 7th most yards

They rank 24th in total offensive yards/yards-per-game

They rank 22nd in total points/points-per-game

They rank 4th in total offensive turnovers

Army and Navy used to be good football teams too, but no longer.

Army and Navy used to be good football teams too, but no longer.

Navy is 8-4. They have lost to Ohio State (by 4), Pitt, Temple and Hawaii (must have been tired from the flight), and have the #3 rushing attack in Division I. They're pretty good this year. Army is shit.

Guest Runaway Jim

Great article on Brett Favre by Joe Posnanski on SI.com.

I've always loved Favre and never understood the backlash, even through all the retirements.

For me, it just simply got annoying hearing talk of whether not he'd be back, and with which team, and blah blah blah. But it's really more of an issue I have with sports media, than with Favre. At some point, I just simply turned off anything Favre related, because I didn't care. Until I heard the actual story ("Favre signs with Vikings"), I didn't care to hear much of the speculation.

Even as a Bears fan, I dig the guy as a football player and despite the fact that he's now leading the Vikings, who I absolutely fucking hate, I'm glad to see him back and having a stellar year. He plays with a passion that is admirable, and he's obviously an amazing QB. I'm glad as hell I've gotten the chance to watch him, while watching the Bears try to win with Will Furrer, Jim Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis, Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh, Dave Krieg, Rick Mirer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno, Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller, Henry Burris, Chris Chandler, Cory Sauter, Rex Grossman, Kordell Stewart, Craig Krenzel, Jonathan Quinn, Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton, Jeff Blake, Brian Griese, and Jay Cutler.

For me, it just simply got annoying hearing talk of whether not he'd be back, and with which team, and blah blah blah. But it's really more of an issue I have with sports media, than with Favre. At some point, I just simply turned off anything Favre related, because I didn't care. Until I heard the actual story ("Favre signs with Vikings"), I didn't care to hear much of the speculation.

Even as a Bears fan, I dig the guy as a football player and despite the fact that he's now leading the Vikings, who I absolutely fucking hate, I'm glad to see him back and having a stellar year. He plays with a passion that is admirable, and he's obviously an amazing QB. I'm glad as hell I've gotten the chance to watch him, while watching the Bears try to win with Will Furrer, Jim Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis, Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh, Dave Krieg, Rick Mirer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno, Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller, Henry Burris, Chris Chandler, Cory Sauter, Rex Grossman, Kordell Stewart, Craig Krenzel, Jonathan Quinn, Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton, Jeff Blake, Brian Griese, and Jay Cutler.

That list of Bears quarterbacks is remarkable.

Guest Runaway Jim

Retiring during off-seasons only is annoying. I mean, even Roger Clemens was at least "retired" for parts of seasons during his fake-outs. Something something vegetarian between meals something something.

I totally get that point of view, but don't you sort of stop caring when you watch him play again? And realize that you're lucky to be watching him, instead of say Will Furrer, Jim Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis...?

I happen to find him slightly overrated as a quarterback. There was about a 3 or 4 year window when he was the best in the league (the MVPs, basically), but Marino and Manning were both better than him for large stretches of his career.

Cool, he "looks like a kid out there" and whatever. He turns the ball over too many damn times. Give me someone who protects the ball.

Manning should be the MVP this season.

except this year.

Playing in front of the best offensive line in football with 2 legitimate home run threats and a great safety blanket tight end, he damn well better not be turning the ball over!

Oh, and some dude named Adrian Peterson is also there.

haha (list of QBs). I stopped watching espn years ago because of stuff like how they handled the Favre thing, and any other major story, and how douchey the anchors are and how driven by the almighty $ their coverage is.... I could go on. I just mention this because I never got the Favre overload, or overload of any other story, for that matter. It's more difficult to follow sports this way, but... I don't know. I just recommend weaning off sportscenter, et al... if, indeed, thats where you were getting your .. overload. This is remarkably poorly worded. Onward..

Oh, and, why do you hate the Vikes!? I'm a Vike fan, certainly wouldn't take it personally; I just wonder. I'm actually kinda honored! I generally feel left out, as a Vikes fan, from not having a true rival, lack of media coverage (until Favre)...

I happen to find him slightly overrated as a quarterback. There was about a 3 or 4 year window when he was the best in the league (the MVPs, basically), but Marino and Manning were both better than him for large stretches of his career.

Cool, he "looks like a kid out there" and whatever. He turns the ball over too many damn times. Give me someone who protects the ball.

Manning should be the MVP this season.

Are you a Vikes fan? If not, why would you dislike another teams QB for not being good enough (by your own estimation)?