I imagine that dollars gained for Super Bowl = $$$$ and dollars gained for undefeated season = $0.

undefeated season MEANS a Super Bowl Victory. It's 19 and 0.

You can't win if you don't aspire to win.

And to throw in the towel in a game with playoff implications...inexcusible. If I were commissioner for a day, first thing I would do is outlaw the Steelers ugly alternate yellow helmet package (and the Broncos...too) and second thing I would do is fine the Colts a million dollars for conduct detremental to the league. I don't have a dog in the fight (not a fan of any AFC team injured by the Colts throwing the game) and I actually consider myself somewhat of a fan of the Colts. But this is really a dark day for the Colts.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

Fuck the Colts. I was rooting for them to go 19-0. Now I'm rooting for them to lose as early as possible. If you don't want to play to win, don't play at all. That was just plain cowardly.

Also, if I were a fan of one of the other now 8-7 teams, I'd be pissed as hell that they just let the Jets back into the playoff hunt.

Jesus. Am I wrong, as a Giants fan of more than three decades, to be personally insulted by the effort that team made yesterday? Something is very, very amiss with that bunch. Fire Coughlin, fire that for-shit new defensive coordinator. :realmad :realmad :realmad :realmad

Guest Runaway Jim

Nothing wrong with taking the Giants loss personally. I would if I were a fan. They have championship caliber players, as we saw two years ago. Something isn't working right.

So far, the Panthers and Matt Moore are looking impressive against the Giants. Too darn bad the Panthers are playing for nothing.

They weren't playing for a playoff berth, but I felt that Matt Moore sure was playing for something. Looks like Jake might have some serious competition for the starting position, but a lot can happen between now and then. The Giants looked like they never showed up to play.

As for the Colts, I'm pissed they pulled their starters. I know that Caldwell keeps repeating the mantra that "it's not about the perfect season" but c'mon, they practically gift-wrapped that game to the Jets. Maybe that's what they needed to happen, to lose now. I'm still rooting for them in the playoffs— I'm not about to abandon the ship.

Guest Runaway Jim

This is not the first time a team has pulled the starters at the end of the season. Just so you know.

Really? That's your argument? Come on, man, it was ridiculous for them to pull their starters SINCE THEY WERE UNDEFEATED.

I think the chances of a Peyton Manning or analogous injury need to be weighed against the chances of a pissed off locker room. I don't know the chances of the former, but I know the chances of the latter are 100%. Not sure that's the best way to ensure your team is best prepared for the playoffs. I can't argue with the decision, but this was far from a no brainer (to me).

I think the chances of a Peyton Manning or analogous injury need to be weighed against the chances of a pissed off locker room. I don't know the chances of the former, but I know the chances of the latter are 100%. Not sure that's the best way to ensure your team is best prepared for the playoffs. I can't argue with the decision, but this was far from a no brainer (to me).

What didn't make sense to me, is if they were going to pull their starters, why did they wait til the 3rd quarter to do so?

Then I realized it's because no one gets injured in the first half of the game, that's why.

I have to believe that the coaches involved in the decision had solid reasons for what they did. I'm just a fan, after all. If it's good for Peyton Manning to accept the orders given to him, then it should be good enough for me, I suppose.

This is not the first time a team has pulled the starters at the end of the season. Just so you know.

"A dark day for the Colts"? That's some funny shit, Crow.

And just how well does resting starters pay off?

Hey...I've got an idea. Don't play Manning in the first round of the playoffs. After all, he might get hurt. Maybe the Colts could petition the league to let them forfeit next week. Don't want to get anyone hurt.

Manning could get hurs in pregame warmups. You play with a fear of injury you ofter get what you fear.

And just how well does resting starters pay off?

According to a graphic I saw on some football show that I cannot quote verbatim, not well at all. Losing the edge, it seems, is a much more common occurrence than catastrophic injuries. I think it was the wrong move by the Colts.

Really? That's your argument? Come on, man, it was ridiculous for them to pull their starters SINCE THEY WERE UNDEFEATED.

It was more of a statement than an argument. I can understand all the arguments/questioning of the timing, etc. Other than for fun historical trivia bullshit, I just don't think going undefeated means that much. I'll leave it to the coach to make the best decision for his players. And I don't think you can definitively tie any regression in performance to being rested or pulled from a late season game.

It was more of a statement than an argument. I can understand all the arguments/questioning of the timing, etc. Other than for fun historical trivia bullshit, I just don't think going undefeated means that much. I'll leave it to the coach to make the best decision for his players. And I don't think you can definitively tie any regression in performance to being rested or pulled from a late season game.

Fun, Historical Bullshit? Man, have you drunk the Kool aid. Every year the 1972 Dolphin team is remembered. The 1972 Dolphin team is remembered ad nauseum.

How many people think about the Colts team that won the Super Bowl?

Bottom Line: They pissed away a chance at IMMORTALITY. Fear of failure that make you decline to take chances has no place in the heart of a champion.

You can certainly disagree with me, but to me, it is distasteful and cowardly (throwing the game...not your disagreement). Every 8-7 team in the AFC should file a grievance with the Commissioner's office.

(I don't really know why I am so hot under the collar about this...but it just seems really disrespectful to the game and cowardly to me.)

Guest Runaway Jim

I agree. The Colts should wear yellow from now on. Unreal. I can't believe they did that.

And fuck all this about "rest". They get a first round bye. That's their rest.

You can certainly disagree with me, but to me, it is distasteful and cowardly (throwing the game...not your disagreement). Every 8-7 team in the AFC should file a grievance with the Commissioner's office.

Every 8-7 team in the AFC should have won more games this year if they did not want to have to depend on the Colts winning a game in Week 15 to ensure that they have a place in the playoffs.

Guest Runaway Jim

Every 8-7 team in the AFC should have won more games this year if they did not want to have to depend on the Colts winning a game in Week 15 to ensure that they have a place in the playoffs.

I knew someone would post that. Just knew it. I don't think those teams should file grievances, but they certainly have the right to be pissed. The Jets were handed a win. No other team has been (save for teams that have played the Browns, Rams, Bucs, etc. - but that's different).

The Colts fucked up, and are cowards. Plain and simple.

It happens every year, though. Is it a bigger deal this time because the Colts could have stayed undefeated? Didn't the Jets also need 3 other teams to lose earlier in the day to still have a chance?

Just a friendly reminder of how bad ass the '72 Dolphins really were - they won 10 of those

games with their backup QB! Without Manning the Colts are a .500 team at best.

And fwiw Shula said today on ESPN that he would've done the same thing.

I knew someone would post that. Just knew it. I don't think those teams should file grievances, but they certainly have the right to be pissed. The Jets were handed a win. No other team has been (save for teams that have played the Browns, Rams, Bucs, etc. - but that's different).

The Colts fucked up, and are cowards. Plain and simple.

If the Broncos had beaten the Redskins and the Raiders, they would be out of this discussion. The Stillers lost to the Chiefs, the Raiders and the Browns. Houston lost to Jacksonville twice and the Titans. Maybe the Ravens haven't had any really bad losses, but they lost four games by three points or less. Turn a field goal into a touchdown in just one of those games (hello, Derrick Mason), and they don't have to worry about the outcome of the Jets/Colts game. The Colts should have played to win, because that's what you do (cue Herm Edwards), and because they have a history of folding when they rest going into the playoffs, but they don't owe anything to other teams who didn't do enough earlier in the season to avoid being in the situation the Jets' win puts them in.

Just a friendly reminder of how bad ass the '72 Dolphins really were - they won 10 of those

games with their backup QB! Without Manning the Colts are a .500 team at best.

And fwiw Shula said today on ESPN that he would've done the same thing.

Here is my dilemma:

I want Mercury Morris to die in a fire.

I want him to die knowing that another team has topped the 72 Dolphins' achievement.

I am conflicted.

That's not a conflict. It's a logistical challenge.