Guest Speed Racer
The biggest risk here is really for the Vikings.

Until today, they didn't have a starting QB, and Favre past his prime is still a good acquisition for a team of that caliber. Just signing ruins Favre to many now-former fans, and sharpens hate for him from well-seasoned haters.

And let's be honest: if I could get $10 million for four or five months of work that the world was well aware would not be my best, I'd take it in a second.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care that Favre is going to play for the Vikings, but let's not overstate the relevance of Jordan playing for the Wizards. Favre will be playing for a division rival.

If Jordan decided to play for the Knicks, it would be a fair comparison. Jordan playing for the Wizards was like Favre playing for the Jets last year.

Loyalty, preserving his legacy, blah blah blah. Doesn't mean anything in sports any more. Perfect post, Speed Racer. Jordan played for the Wizards, but when we think of him, don't we really focus on his Bulls days?

I guess if you believe that, than thats how you would feel, but I believe in loyalty and appreciate when I see it. Plus Bulls/Wizards isnt like Vikings/Packers. This is not only direct competitors, but huge rivals. I do agree that when all said and done, no one will remember his after GB years, but it still sucks to see what he is doing.

Until today, they didn't have a starting QB, and Favre past his prime is still a good acquisition for a team of that caliber. Just signing ruins Favre to many now-former fans, and sharpens hate for him from well-seasoned haters.

And let's be honest: if I could get $10 million for four or five months of work that the world was well aware would not be my best, I'd take it in a second.

I dont think this is about money.

It's about money, the desire to play football again, and the opportunity to go somewhere where he knows the offense already that needs a QB. Really, looking at the Vikings as a team, that's the one missing piece.

Guest Speed Racer

Well it's not about betrayal, either. Seems to me, the guy wants to play football with career-peers, close to his family, which is not exactly something he can do with other neighborhood dudes. To me it's more about dignity than loyalty, and I don't know how much loyalty you should expect from what is essentially an entertainment organization.

I guess when I say the Vikings are taking a risk, what I really mean is they are risking that the arm/shoulder holds up. That seems to be the big question.

ZenLunatic ... I wholeheartedly agree with you from the perspective that I as a fan appreciate loyalty. But I think the days of expecting it from an athlete are gone.

And yes, Bulls/Wizards is not Packers/Vikings. Believe me, I hate the Queens with every fiber of my being. I'm just saying that Jordan playing with a team other than the Bulls is overall a bigger deal than Favre suiting up for someone other than the Pack.

Well it's not about betrayal, either. Seems to me, the guy wants to play football with career-peers, close to his family, which is not exactly something he can do with other neighborhood dudes. To me it's more about dignity than loyalty, and I don't know how much loyalty you should expect from what is essentially an entertainment organization.

How long have you been watching professional sports like baseball and football? Are you dedicated to a specific team? Cause you come off as a casual or short term fan.

I guess when I say the Vikings are taking a risk, what I really mean is they are risking that the arm/shoulder holds up. That seems to be the big question.

ZenLunatic ... I wholeheartedly agree with you from the perspective that I as a fan appreciate loyalty. But I think the days of expecting it from an athlete are gone.

And yes, Bulls/Wizards is not Packers/Vikings. Believe me, I hate the Queens with every fiber of my being. I'm just saying that Jordan playing with a team other than the Bulls is overall a bigger deal than Favre suiting up for someone other than the Pack.

I guess I still expect the players to have some sort of loyalty. I dont mean players should play on one team their whole career, but in the case of Favre, to know what he has done and what it means to play for the Vikings, it's a bad choice. I dont agree that Jordan playing for another team is bigger, but its like said before its comparable of Favre going to the Jets. I was more disappointed in Phil Jackson going to LA.

Eh, they should havre went with the Booty guy.

Loyalty, preserving his legacy, blah blah blah. Doesn't mean anything in sports any more. Perfect post, Speed Racer. Jordan played for the Wizards, but when we think of him, don't we really focus on his Bulls days?

I'm both a Packer fanboy and a Favre fanboy. The season will be played and life will move on. Favre's legacy won't be tarnished. The biggest risk here is really for the Vikings.

I also look at it this way ... if Jim McMahon can put on a Packer helmet, Favre can put on a Viking helmet even if it makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

The fans of the Packers won't forget.

Emmit Smith finished his career as a Cardinal. Tony Dorsett finished his career as a Bronco. Dallas fans may have forgiven, but it is not forgotten. Aikman, Staubach, R. White and Lilly finished as Cowboys. Does this give them more luster? Perhaps not for the casual fan. But for the diehard fan...it matters. And tarnishing one's legacy is nothing to sneeze at.

Eh, they should havre went with the Booty guy.

Erm...I didn't quite know what you were referring to with the "Booty Guy" comment...so I googled it.

Let's just say I don't think the images that came up were what you were referring to. :blink

What? You mean Valhalla's REAL???

No...but endorsements are. And when all is said and done, a good ending is just as important as a good beginning and a good middle.

No...but endorsements are. And when all is said and done, a good ending is just as important as a good beginning and a good middle.

OK - name a single endorsement deal Favre either currently has, or one that he's lost by signing with the Vikings.

The only thing Favre has done to hurt himself is that his credibility is lost - he'd never make it on the witness stand.

In 3 years, nobody will care about this.

I'm a fan of the Vikings and I'm wildly excited. This could be a fun year. Or a disaster. Bottom line to me is the Vikes are a much better team with Favre.

If it means I can watch Vikings games without getting traumatic Kordell Stewart with the Steelers in the 90's flashbacks (i.e. what came close to ruining my childhood) whenever T. Jack is on the field, I am all for it.

--Mike

He's pretty crappy now anyways. He might be an improvement on Sage, but I don't think he realizes he's not good anymore, and is going to keep trying to be good despite all evidence to the contrary.

What would the worst case scenario for the Dolphins in 2010 for you, Bobs? Pennington leaves as a free agent and they draft Tim Tebow with in first round draft pick and declare he's going to be their franchise quarterback or Pennington leaves, Farve retires from the Vikings in January, gets the itch to play in July and Parcells brings him into camp in the middle of the preseason.

--Mike

P.S.: If the same scenario were in play for the Steelers, I might just start seriously watching soccer.

What would the worst case scenario for the Dolphins in 2010 for you, Bobs? Pennington leaves as a free agent and they draft Tim Tebow with in first round draft pick and declare he's going to be their franchise quarterback or Pennington leaves, Farve retires from the Vikings in January, gets the itch to play in July and Parcells brings him into camp in the middle of the preseason.

--Mike

P.S.: If the same scenario were in play for the Steelers, I might just start seriously watching soccer.

I love the idea of drafting Tebow to play tight end and Wild Cat him 10 times a game.

Hell, put Chad Henne in as the start and get Henne, White (WR), and Tebow (Tight End, H-Back, FB) on the field at the same time for 60 plays. It would give people nightmares.

And is everyone forgetting the whole dog fighting thing?

seems like many have. To be fair, he paid his debt to society and he apologized. I think he deserves a second chance.

He's pretty crappy now anyways. He might be an improvement on Sage, but I don't think he realizes he's not good anymore, and is going to keep trying to be good despite all evidence to the contrary.

I think Favre has much more left than most assume. Time will tell. Though, Im blinded by.... anxiety and expectation.

I'm a fan of the Vikings and I'm wildly excited. This could be a fun year. Or a disaster. Bottom line to me is the Vikes are a much better team with Favre.

Remember when we thought we were going to be much better Herschel Walker? Brett will be a gunslinger and make unnecessary turnovers, Sage could effectively manage a game. I will retract my words if and only Brett leads us to a Super Bowl victory.