• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time. Every. Time.

Hopefully they'll get a quarterback of the future either by trading for Donovan or picking up a better option than the Rosenfields/Jackson combo in the draft, though I'll never say never Favre probably only has a year left him if he comes back. I don't see them winning a Super Bowl with Chilly honestly, but the if the Celts can win it all with Doc Rivers anything is possible. I feel for you dude, I have been on your end of some nasty loses like that with my college team, WVU. The words "Neil" "O'Donnell" still haunt me to this day, but as a Steelers fan I have been pretty spoiled.

--Mike

Best Quarterback of All Time. Is there really a good rebuttal to this?

Johnny-Unitas---Photofile--C10108046.jpeg

Best Quarterback to never have a winning season

Manning_Poster_630.jpg

Best Quarterback of All Time. Is there really a good rebuttal to this?

Johnny-Unitas---Photofile--C10108046.jpeg

Same uniform -1.

peyton-manning-picture-41.jpg

Four time MVP, 5-time First Team All Pro, 10 Pro Bowls, Single Season record for QB Rating, 5th all time in QB Rating, 4th all time in passing yards, 3rd in passing TDs.

I will also say that relative to the players on his team, no QB did more with less than:

D_Marino_941231_20070912192346_gallery_600.jpg

You want to knock him because he didn't win a Super Bowl? Fine. All I know is if I'm building a quarterback, I'm basing it on Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Nobody has ever had a more perfect skill set for the position than those two.

Also, has anyone's career ever benefitted more from something that has absolutely nothing to do with his abilities as a player than Archie Manning. No one's legacy has been helped by talented children more than him.

Same uniform -1.

peyton-manning-picture-41.jpg

Four time MVP, 5-time First Team All Pro, 10 Pro Bowls, Single Season record for QB Rating, 5th all time in QB Rating, 4th all time in passing yards, 3rd in passing TDs.

I will also say that relative to the players on his team, no QB did more with less than:

D_Marino_941231_20070912192346_gallery_600.jpg

You want to knock him because he didn't win a Super Bowl? Fine. All I know is if I'm building a quarterback, I'm basing it on Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Nobody has ever had a more perfect skill set for the position than those two.

Also, has anyone's career ever benefitted more from something that has absolutely nothing to do with his abilities as a player than Archie Manning. No one's legacy has been helped by talented children more than him.

Archie did pass on good genetics; but it is almost criminal how bad the Saints were when he played there. He was a legend in the South LONG before Peyton and Eli put on the pads.

Peyton is THE rebuttal to Johnny U.; however, consider that Unitas played his entire career before the opening up of the passing game after 1978. And Unitas played in the pre-expansion era.

Dan Marino had the singularly most outstanding season of any professional football player of any position ever, but eventually (unfairly or not) a Quarterback is judged by whether or not he wins the big game. Joe Namath had probably four good, productive years as a quarterback. But he becomes immortal the minute he wins a SuperBowl. Not to compare Namath and Marino, but I think I made my point. Marino is the superior QuarterBack, but he is, in some circles, downgraded for his lack of a ring. I think he is the bees' knees, but I prefer Manning and/or Unitas.

This isn't universal (ever hear anybody sing the praises of Trent Dilfer or Brad Johson?), but winning a SuperBowl enhances everything else on a resume.

How can rings not play into the discussion? You play the game to win. Dan Marino never won.

He's still certainly one of the top few QBs to ever play the game.

Because 50+ other guys play a part in winning a Super Bowl.

It's reasonable in basketball to make the rings argument for individual players, but too much is out of a quarterback's hands for me to judge someone's career on them. Is it a nice bonus if you do win a ring? Sure, I don't mind giving a little extra credit, especially if you had a big hand in winning those rings.

Dan Marino played on a lot of mediocre Miami Dolphins football teams. Don Shula was getting by on reputation and Marino's arm for pretty much all of the 90's.

Yes, the quarterback has more impact on a game than any other single position, but he still doesn't play half the game. If his defense can't stop anybody, it doesn't matter how good he is. So yeah, a little extra credit for winning, but ultimately, if Peyton had never won one, he would still be the best QB I've ever seen. Greatness isn't diluted by not winning. It's only increased by winning.

Guest Runaway Jim

I don't think that Marino's greatness can be challenged. The fact that he didn't win a Super Bowl doesn't make him less great. But that fact that he didn't win a Super Bowl simply means that he'll always have that "greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl" thing going on. Which sucks for him, but ultimately doesn't matter.

When it comes down to the "greatest ever" discussion, I can't say much. I didn't see so many of the greats play. Like you, I only saw Marino and Montana's twilight. Peyton is absolutely the best QB I've ever seen play too.

There are also some old-school Colts fans who could argue that Manning isn't even the best Colts QB ever (Johhny U.).

In response to Crow's post.

Also - Crow, that pic of Archie you posted looks VERY much like the poster I had on the wall of my bedroom when I was a kid. I had 2 posters (I think my parents got them from SI) - the other one was Bob Hayes. :cheers

Hopefully they'll get a quarterback of the future either by trading for Donovan or picking up a better option than the Rosenfields/Jackson combo in the draft, though I'll never say never Favre probably only has a year left him if he comes back. I don't see them winning a Super Bowl with Chilly honestly, but the if the Celts can win it all with Doc Rivers anything is possible. I feel for you dude, I have been on your end of some nasty loses like that with my college team, WVU. The words "Neil" "O'Donnell" still haunt me to this day, but as a Steelers fan I have been pretty spoiled.

--Mike

Thanks.

I agree. I'm hoping for Favre next year and draft a QBotF. No Favre and we need to go get someone who can win next year; this team has everything else, we just need that qb. ugh, I've slowly gotten past that game by not thinking about it; I think about it and I'm all disgrunteld postal worker. dammit.

Guest Runaway Jim

The "greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl" could also be "the greatest QB ever".

Yes, the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl can also be the greatest QB ever. But, the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl will never be the greatest QB ever because he'll always be the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl.

Yeah, I think I do too. Could go either way, of course, but if it makes the Bears more pass-oriented and returns Cutler to his comfort zone, it can only help them.

Hopefully Martz will immediately begin to lobby for upgrading the offensive line and receiving corps.

Yes, the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl can also be the greatest QB ever. But, the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl will never be the greatest QB ever because he'll always be the greatest QB never to win a Super Bowl.

:lol

Dude, you missed your calling. You should be speaking on the floor of the statehouse.

Yes, I know it's already 10-0 Colts, but I wanted to put my prediction up here before Half Time. :pirate

So I think the Saints will win after falling behind pretty much the whole game. I expect a victory similar to the one that made the Giants win 2 years ago.

It just seems like a better story for the press tomorrow.

Brees and New Orleans overcome obstacles. I hate to think like that but it does occur to me when these types of matches happen. I had a feeling that the Giants would win 2 years ago because of Spy Gate and how that would have looked if the Patriots won.

Yay New Orleans!!! :cheers

I could not be happier for that town. But OH MAN am I ever gonna have to listen to some whining for the next week.