The fans of the Packers won't forget.

Factual. I am a huge Packers fan and even lived in Green Bay when they won the Super Bowl (and worked as an intern at the local TV station where "The Mike Holmgren Show" was taped). Watching Favre play for the Jets hurt, but it was forgivable and forgettable. This, though, is a different beast. This pisses off Packer fans. This tarnishes the legacy.

For the most part, time will restore the luster. But not entirely.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's weird how the Packers website still has Brett Favre as part of it's History page.

The man is still in the league, do the Pats have Adam Vinatieri on theirs? No. He's the reason the Pats are 3-time Super Bowl champs, but he also left New England for the dark side (Indy)...

I think it's weird how the Packers website still has Brett Favre as part of it's History page.

The man is still in the league, do the Pats have Adam Vinatieri on theirs? No. He's the reason the Pats are 3-time Super Bowl champs, but he also left New England for the dark side (Indy)...

Just because he is now playing for a different team doesn't mean the years that Favre played for the Packers didn't happen. He is part of their history. He is what made the team. He is/was way more important to the run Green Bay had then Vinatieri.

Simply put this whole thing is about Ted Thompson. Ted Thompson wanted Brett out, Brett didn't want to leave. Now Brett wants to show him that he can play and potentially win.

I can't wait for the first Green Bay Vikings game. I think the entire town of Green Bay is gonna f'ing explode. There will be blood.

Remember when we thought we were going to be much better Herschel Walker? Brett will be a gunslinger and make unnecessary turnovers, Sage could effectively manage a game. I will retract my words if and only Brett leads us to a Super Bowl victory.

Thats the conventional thinking because recent history indicates it will be the outcome but I don't buy it. I think he'll play a different style and be a different QB. I guess we'll see.

I assume you're saying that if Vinatieri isn't on the Pats' history page, it's because he's still playing.

If you're saying he isn't on there because he left the team for a rival, well that's just wrong. And it would be wrong to think the Packers should do that to Favre.

No, I think it's fine that he went to a rival, but he's still a player. Save the "history" stuff for the retirement ceremony (version 3.0 for Favre).

I also hope someone buys a customizable dog jersey with Vick on the back haha

The fans of the Packers won't forget.

Emmit Smith finished his career as a Cardinal. Tony Dorsett finished his career as a Bronco. Dallas fans may have forgiven, but it is not forgotten. Aikman, Staubach, R. White and Lilly finished as Cowboys. Does this give them more luster? Perhaps not for the casual fan. But for the diehard fan...it matters. And tarnishing one's legacy is nothing to sneeze at.

All this is true, but don't athletes have some right to make a living, even if it hurts the feelings of the fans of their ex-team, which in many cases was the one to end the relationship?

I'm finding this whole Favre thing really fascinating...

I'm a Lions fan living in Packerland (formerly from Vikingland). A coworker (Viking fan) has already cancelled his NFL Sunday ticket (that he's had for the past 10 years) because he can't stomach a Favre-led Vikings.

There's an article on CNNSI.com saying that Favre has already destroyed the morale on the Vikings because he was allowed to skip camp (as if there's no precendent - Barry Sanders rarely showed up for camp, yet somehow his teammates still loved him).

Other people have lost respect over Favre's flip-flopping, as if his indecision affects their lives directly.

There's an article on CNNSI.com saying that Favre has already destroyed the morale on the Vikings because he was allowed to skip camp (as if there's no precendent - Barry Sanders rarely showed up for camp, yet somehow his teammates still loved him).

Not quite the same thing. Barry Sanders earned plenty of goodwill from his teammates because he had a long record of playing well on their behalf. Brett Favre, on the other hand, hasn't done anything to earn special treatment from the Vikings. Favre may have earned the right to skip Packers camp, but not Vikings camp. I suspect some Vikings may think Favre is acting like a rookie who hasn't played a single down but still thinks he's the team's superstar.

Guest Speed Racer

Impressive. I didn't know Bud Grant had that kind of power!

He doesn't; the storm ran over a record store instead. :lol

I suspect some Vikings may think Favre is acting like a rookie who hasn't played a single down but still thinks he's the team's superstar.

That may be so, but the standard weekly headline at the Star Tribune last year was, "Vikings in Danger of TV Blackout," because games didn't have high enough ticket sales. Whether they be gawkers or true/new fans, I imagine the teammates will enjoy having some more butts in the seats at games.

Not quite the same thing. Barry Sanders earned plenty of goodwill from his teammates because he had a long record of playing well on their behalf. Brett Favre, on the other hand, hasn't done anything to earn special treatment from the Vikings. Favre may have earned the right to skip Packers camp, but not Vikings camp. I suspect some Vikings may think Favre is acting like a rookie who hasn't played a single down but still thinks he's the team's superstar.

I'm confident that one could find as many Vikings who don't geev sheet that he skipped camp as those who punched a hole in the wall over it.

I'm also confident that you can find a player on any team who is pissed that he's not treated as well as another player.

Jared Allen did a radio interview today, and he's not concerned AT ALL about how the Vikings players will accept Favre. He says they all understand it's kind of a unique situation. He says Favre is a regular dude....though he did admit Favre might be a little out of touch with some of the younger players, beings he's nearly 40 years old.

If Favre plays like he did the first half of last year, NO Vikings player is gonna give a crap that he showed up to camp late and got preferential treatment.

It's gonna be exciting to see how it unfolds. The Monday Night game in Minnesota in early October is gonna be a HUGE event. Can't wait to see it. And then a return to Green Bay in November.....wow!

Yes, Favre has every right to sign with any team who'll take him, and to continue his football career. I won't argue that.

But the guy's an ass. Make a fucking decision and stick with it, big guy.

One of two things will happen: his play will be mediocre and fans will start calling for him to be benched, or he'll get hurt early in the season and miss most or all of the rest of the schedule while collecting his paycheck. Either way, I don't see a Pro Bowl season from Mr. Favre.

Yes, Favre has every right to sign with any team who'll take him, and to continue his football career. I won't argue that.

But the guy's an ass. Make a fucking decision and stick with it, big guy.

One of two things will happen: his play will be mediocre and fans will start calling for him to be benched, or he'll get hurt early in the season and miss most or all of the rest of the schedule while collecting his paycheck. Either way, I don't see a Pro Bowl season from Mr. Favre.

He may very well be a big, lime-light hogging ass. And his reputation probably WILL be tarnished forver.

But as an NFL fan who wants to see exciting games, I'm SO excited he came back.

If he plays well and the Vikings go to the playoffs, I'm watching. If he plays poorly and a below-.500 Vikings team goes into Green Bay, I want to watch that also. Either way, it's great drama for a football fan. The only thing that will suck is if he gets hurt.

Guest Runaway Jim

I love the idea of drafting Tebow to play tight end and Wild Cat him 10 times a game.

Hell, put Chad Henne in as the start and get Henne, White (WR), and Tebow (Tight End, H-Back, FB) on the field at the same time for 60 plays. It would give people nightmares.

I'd love that. I'm a fan of all three of those guys.