• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see Chad (Johnson) Ochocinco

?

Gotta give the guy some credit -- yeah, it was just an extra point, but he kicked it right down the middle and gave it the high trajectory that any good professional kicker should.

Guest Runaway Jim

I think the bears are the most overrated team going into this season. Vikes all the way! :D

I think you have that backwards. A lot of people seem to think the Vikes are going to easily win the division. I don't even think they'll make the playoffs. 7 wins tops for ViQueens, third in the NFC North behind a 8-8/9-7 Green Bay team and a 11 win Bears team.

He may very well be a big, lime-light hogging ass. And his reputation probably WILL be tarnished forver.

But as an NFL fan who wants to see exciting games, I'm SO excited he came back.

If he plays well and the Vikings go to the playoffs, I'm watching. If he plays poorly and a below-.500 Vikings team goes into Green Bay, I want to watch that also. Either way, it's great drama for a football fan. The only thing that will suck is if he gets hurt.

Gotta say that Brett's decision is stupid and I totally disrespect him for it, but as a Bears fan, I do like that he came back. Pretty interested to see the first game he returns to Lambeau field. You know the Packers are gonna be all over him with extra on those hits. Also the Bears get their licks in too. Brett, you are in trouble.

Who's rating them highly?

I feel like alot of people are... Maybe not, idk. I haven't really done any homework on it, I just think people think they'll be better than they are.

I think you have that backwards. A lot of people seem to think the Vikes are going to easily win the division. I don't even think they'll make the playoffs. 7 wins tops for ViQueens, third in the NFC North behind a 8-8/9-7 Green Bay team and a 11 win Bears team.

The Vikes lost nobody very important and added EJ Henderson (who I think will be one of the best MLB in the nfl, starting this year (he was last year before he got hurt)), Percey Harvin (hopefully our version of Devin Hester; even a very poor man's version would be an upgrade for any team in the league), Madieu Williams (hurt most of last year) and, of course, Favre (much better than other options we've had since Culpepper). And they went 10-6, won the (admittedly weak) division and made the playoffs last year, and their schedule this year should be less difficult.

Gotta say that Brett's decision is stupid and I totally disrespect him for it, but as a Bears fan, I do like that he came back. Pretty interested to see the first game he returns to Lambeau field. You know the Packers are gonna be all over him with extra on those hits. Also the Bears get their licks in too. Brett, you are in trouble.

A late season game in Chicago makes me very frightened for Favre. Not for his stats or playing shape, for his life.

Guest Runaway Jim

I agree that on paper, the Vikes should be better than they were last year when they won the division. As you said, they gained more than they lost. However, I feel that the Bears, Packers and Lions have bettered their teams more significantly. Well, at least the Bears and Lions have. It is my opinion that this will lead to at least 2 more loses in the division (away at Detriot and at home against the Bears perhaps). I put them at 7 wins going into the last 3 weeks of the season - at Carolina, at Chicago, home against New York. Personally, I counted that as 3 loses. At best, 1 win, putting them at either 7-9 or 8-8, which likely won't win the division. I'm not sold that Favre does anything to make this team any better really.

I will say that I could be wildly wrong and Petersen may run the Vikings deep into the playoffs - he's that good.

Also, every year in the NFL there are teams that made the playoffs the previous year that don't - I read today that 2008 marked the 13th consecutive season with at least five new playoff teams in the field of 12. I think it will be 4 this year with the Vikings, Falcons, Titans and Dolphins all missing the playoffs.

My $.02 - I may be wildly wrong...

Cutler with a great defense = NFC Champs, definitely NFC North Champs.

There you go... I think highly of them.

There's only one problem with that: the Bears no longer have a great defense.

The myth of the great Bears defense has persisted for years after it ceased to be true.

Regardless, the NFC North should be one of the more competitive divisions (it will be interesting to see how much the Lions improve). Although, the NFC looks to be chock full of decent teams and few, if any, really good teams.

The myth of the great Bears defense has persisted for years after it ceased to be true.

How about good enough defense. The Defense has gone down in the passing years, but still pretty good.

How about good enough defense. The Defense has gone down in the passing years, but still pretty good.

2008 rankings, Bears defense:

Total defense (yards per game): 21st

Passing yards per game: 30th

Rushing yards per game: 5th

Points per game: 16th

Team sacks: 22nd

Unless they're drastically improved this year, they'll need Cutler to be sharp just so they can keep pace with the other team's offense.

All this is true, but don't athletes have some right to make a living, even if it hurts the feelings of the fans of their ex-team, which in many cases was the one to end the relationship?

Heaven knows poor Brett wouldn't be able to feed his family is he didn't head off to Minnesota.

Actually, I couldn't care less if Brett Favre plays football this year. I just think he is tarnishing his once golden legacy. And I really couldn't care less about that either.

Guest Runaway Jim

2008 rankings, Bears defense:

Total defense (yards per game): 21st

Passing yards per game: 30th

Rushing yards per game: 5th

Points per game: 16th

Team sacks: 22nd

Unless they're drastically improved this year, they'll need Cutler to be sharp just so they can keep pace with the other team's offense.

It's true that the Bears D isn't what they were in the past. Maybe with Lovie calling the shots on D now, it'll change.

I'm also hoping that Rod Marinelli can turn around the D line like everyone says he can and that Gilbert turns into a stud. I truly believe that their pass D was so bad because they're terrible at getting pressure on the QB. They have guys in the defensive backfield that are more of playmakers than shutdown cover guys. With better pressure, it'll open up chances for those guys to make huge plays. They should also blitz the fuck out of Brian Urlacher like they used to.

I am expecting the re-arrival of the classic Bears D.

Queens shouldn't discount the loss of Birk and how that will effect their ground game.

The loss of Birk is what I'm most worried about going into this year. He was/is phenomenal.

Pick 6 teams in each conference for the playoffs. Should probably revisit in a couple weeks, but here's mine:

NFC

Minnesota

Chicago

New York

Philadelphia

Arizona

Atlanta

AFC

New England

Miami

Pittsburgh

Tennessee

Houston

San Diego

The Browns/Vikes in week one will also be pretty interesting. I'm sure Mangini has a bit of a bitter taste in his mouth from Farve's lousy play down the stretch last year that lead to him getting shitcanned in New York and I understand Farve didn't really care for his or Schottenheimer coaching styles.

--Mike

they were one hell of a fantasy defense last year.

Guest Runaway Jim

NFC

Eagles

Bears

Falcons

Cardinals

Panthers (WC)

Packers (WC)

AFC

Pats

Steelers

Colts

Chargers

Ravens

Texans

Ravens over Steelers

Eagles over Bears

Eagles over Ravens

Edited by Runaway Jim

It's hard when you're on the field as much as they have been. I think they've actually been as good as you can expect. Plus, the best defensive player on the team (ok, maybe not anymore), hates the defensive scheme as it doesn't play to his strengths. They didn't win 9 games last year because of their offense.

they were one hell of a fantasy defense last year.

This means nothing. My brother (a football coach) swore off fantasy football years ago due to its effect on how he watched the games. I'm starting to agree with him.

My brother (a football coach) swore off fantasy football years ago due to its effect on how he watched the games. I'm starting to agree with him.

I dont play fantasy football for this reason. And I only play fantasy baseball if it involves the AL. Since that's not real baseball anyway.