so i was thinking about buying a power attenuator for my peavey classic 30. i came across this really cool model: the dr. z amp brake light. it mounts right in your cabinet, and works on most amps under 45 watts. i was wondering if anyone here at sst has had any experience with this model or any other attenuators. what would you guys recommend?

http://www.drzamps.com/brakelite.html

I was asking the same question in another thread. I can only turn my Fender Deville up to about 3 no matter where I play. I just know it would sound so much better higher up. I was considering getting something like this but it's so expensive:

567922.jpg

wow, funny i was just reading a post on TGP about the same combo...ill see if i can find it...word was i worked well...

man, ive said it a million times now, those damn hot rod fenders, they go from 0 to fucking loud in the touch of a knob...not sure how an attenuator would work that but i doubt the front ends (preamp stages0 are all that different, cept for the drive button...

wow, funny i was just reading a post on TGP about the same combo...ill see if i can find it...word was i worked well...

man, ive said it a million times now, those damn hot rod fenders, they go from 0 to fucking loud in the touch of a knob...not sure how an attenuator would work that but i doubt the front ends (preamp stages0 are all that different, cept for the drive button...

I figure I will get one of these hot plates and I will immediately start sounding like SRV...:D

The biggest reason I am an acoustic guy is that I live in an apt in NYC and I can't turn up an amp loud enough to sound good. I've got an SG and a Blues Jr. Sounds tinny and shitty when it is on 1 or 2. And no headphone jack.

I know this doesnt help anyone with questions about attenuators. Just sharing in the pain.

I have one of these for my Blues Deville:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Fender-Hot-Rod-Tube-Amp-Volume-Control-BoxNR_W0QQitemZ200371923729QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea718eb11&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Very cheap as you can see, and it works pretty good.. It's just another thing for me to have to plug up, so I hardly ever use it. But its good for that incredibly sensitive volume knob on the Deville's.

Wow, $10, the price is right!

Yeah, its a great little box.. I can crank my Deville up to 8 or 9, get sweet tube sound, and I can control the actual output volume with the box.

The guy that makes them actually sells them new here (still cheap as hell under $20): http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ140336608052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acb6b334&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

He's a great guy and will repair/replace if it breaks.. I always try to get him business when I can. :)

Yeah, its a great little box.. I can crank my Deville up to 8 or 9, get sweet tube sound, and I can control the actual output volume with the box.

The guy that makes them actually sells them new here (still cheap as hell under $20): http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

He's a great guy and will repair/replace if it breaks.. I always try to get him business when I can. :)

So you do notice a pretty big difference being able to run your amp at 8 or 9? I going for it, thanks for the link.

So you do notice a pretty big difference being able to run your amp at 8 or 9? I going for it, thanks for the link.

Definitely a difference. If turn it up that loud, the clean channel breaks up nicely for that "dirty clean" sound.. As for the gain channel, it definitely gets dirtier/gainier at high volume. Its especially great for the Blues Deville since the gain channel is very weak.

i read that those master volume controls arent really a power attenuator. since an amps effects loop goes between the preamp and power amp stages, you would really only be cranking the preamp. if you have a master volume amp, it does the same thing as cranking the preamp and using the master control.

i think i might get this dr. z thing, cause its relatively cheap and stuff. the reason i got rid of my hot rod 50 4X10 (other than the weight) was because it was too loud. the peavey classic 30 i use now is still pretty damn loud, i can crank it to 5 or so and its at a comfortable level in a full band setting. i was wondering if anyone had a really sick attenuator theyd recommend.

i read that those master volume controls arent really a power attenuator. since an amps effects loop goes between the preamp and power amp stages, you would really only be cranking the preamp. if you have a master volume amp, it does the same thing as cranking the preamp and using the master control.

i think i might get this dr. z thing, cause its relatively cheap and stuff. the reason i got rid of my hot rod 50 4X10 (other than the weight) was because it was too loud. the peavey classic 30 i use now is still pretty damn loud, i can crank it to 5 or so and its at a comfortable level in a full band setting. i was wondering if anyone had a really sick attenuator theyd recommend.

this is correct...youre not pushing the power tubes into distortion...ideally this little box idea would be after the power stage and before the output...

FWIW this is the best site ive ever seen for the discussion of the hot rod series...look at the amplification stages diagram to better understand where attenuators fit in... http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

this is correct...youre not pushing the power tubes into distortion...ideally this little box idea would be after the power stage and before the output...

which would essentially be an attenuator. i hope future amp people read this thread and save themselves 20 bucks. use that master volume knob!

Definitely a difference. If turn it up that loud, the clean channel breaks up nicely for that "dirty clean" sound.. As for the gain channel, it definitely gets dirtier/gainier at high volume. Its especially great for the Blues Deville since the gain channel is very weak.

Just got my Omnisonic in the mail yesterday in time for band practice tonight. Looking forward to trying it out. I pretty much just run the clean channel on my Deville as I get the sound I like out of that so this thing should be perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Just a word of caution -- I work with guitars and amps for a living -- you can BURN OUT your amp by fritzing around with the voltage. Be sure to do a lot of research. Additionally, you can "calm" a Fender amp down by substituting different preamp tubes to change the amp's breakup. There are many varieties of tubes that can be used instead of a stock 12ax7. Perhaps a safer thing to try firts. My $.02.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I've heard mixed responses on those things from people 'in the know'. They kind of sketch me out. You can definitely pull power tubes from an amp and effectively make it quieter. I would definitely check with a tech to make sure you do it right, but you can cut your wattage in half by cutting your power tubes in half. This will allow you to drive the pre hotter, while using less volume, and not injecting some other company's attenuator in the chain between your amp and its speaker.

Yeah, I've heard mixed responses on those things from people 'in the know'. They kind of sketch me out. You can definitely pull power tubes from an amp and effectively make it quieter. I would definitely check with a tech to make sure you do it right, but you can cut your wattage in half by cutting your power tubes in half. This will allow you to drive the pre hotter, while using less volume, and not injecting some other company's attenuator in the chain between your amp and its speaker.

id be scared id get electrocuted or something. my friends old silvertone amp had voltage problems, and when i sang into the mic, it would shock my face. not good for stage presence

id be scared id get electrocuted or something. my friends old silvertone amp had voltage problems, and when i sang into the mic, it would shock my face. not good for stage presence

old equipment scares me shitless...especially when it comes to grounding issues...

The only problem I am having with the Omnisonic is I can't get a very clean sound. Even at lower settings it distorts. Otherwise it does provide a nice crunch.

Interesting that it distorts even at the low volume.. What kind of amp are you using again? I've tried it on a Blues Deville and a Marshall, and never had a problem with the clean.. Although the clean channel is pretty dirty on the Blues Deville to begin with.

Interesting that it distorts even at the low volume.. What kind of amp are you using again? I've tried it on a Blues Deville and a Marshall, and never had a problem with the clean.. Although the clean channel is pretty dirty on the Blues Deville to begin with.

I am using a Hot Rod Deville. I have not played around with it much. Maybe if I roll off the volume on my guitar or something. It's not really distorted but it's not perfectly clean either. On rare occasions I do play without distortion. :)