Now I remember why I was an independent all those years.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Government agents at work:

Girl Fined for Selling Lemonade

Shit, she's lucky she didn't end up in the East River with cement overshoes. You canNOT just sell shit in NYC without paying officials (and un-officials) off.

I think Atlas shrugged.

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." - Dorothy Parker

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." - Dorothy Parker

I love that quote, and while I agree with mizz Parker, the title of the book seems particularly apropos to this subject.

The philosophy, not so much.

Free market capitalism is great for some aspects of our society. Government has it's place also. Health care just doesn't seem to fit into either of these paradigms.

:throwup

Atlas Shrugged is a much better use of 1200 pages than the healthcare bill.

:throwup

Atlas Shrugged is a much better use of 1200 pages than the healthcare bill.

Any attempt to help people is better than the elaborate justification of being a selfish douche. In my humble opinion.

Have you read Atlas Shrugged?

Have you read the health care bill?

Have you read the health care bill?

I prefer my dystopian novels to be fictional.

My point was going to be that the only selfish douches in Atlas Shrugged are those trying to "help" people.

I might get to it one day, after I finish Das Kapital.

This review of Atlas Shrugged pretty much hits the nail on the head:

Aside from the "Groundhog Day" repetitiveness of the book's theme and its bloated length, the only other minor complaints I have about the book is that Rand's style sucks donkey cock and the story and characters lick donkey 'taint. Her characters are all allegorical, the romances in the book would make a soap opera writer cringe, and the dialogue makes David Mamet's seem organic in comparison.

link - http://www.parmistan.com/atlas.shtml

Barney Frank says what needed to be said.

"On what planet do you spend most of your time?"

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., is known as one of the more outspoken and combative members of Congress. So it should probably come as no surprise that during a heated town hall meeting in Dartmouth, Massachusetts on Tuesday, Frank dismissed a critic of the Obama Administration with some of the most memorable lines made during the entire healthcare debate.

At the meeting, numerous protesters carried signs depicting President Obama with a Hitler-style mustache. When one such female protester asked Frank a question, he responded with equal parts exasperation and anger.

"When you ask me that question, I'm going to revert to my ethnic heritage and ask you a question: On what planet do you spend most of your time?" Frank asked. "You stand there with a picture of the president defaced to look like Hitler and compare the effort to increase health care to the Nazis ... Trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table. I have no interest in doing it."

Source - http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2009/08/19/frank/

Edit - Now, just sit back and watch as the right cries, in unison, “But he hit me back first.”

I read Atlas Shrugged and thought it was a pretty awful book. Basically, as Good Old Neon says, it is poorly written on just about every level I can think of.

ikol, did you like the book itself, or the theme(s) of the book? Just curious. Obviously, plenty of people like the book itself.

More news that might make you re-think your decision to not stick your head in a microwave, thereby erasing your map:

45% Of Americans Believe, Falsely, That Obama Will Create Death Panels

There is much to discuss in NBC's new health-care poll, but this part jumped out at me like an army of flesh-eating zombies:

Forty-five percent think the reform proposals would allow the government to make decisions about when to stop providing medical care for the elderly.

There is, of course, no reform proposal that will do any such thing, and the fact that 45% of Americans believe otherwise is really an ugly testament to the amount of misinformation polluting the health-care debate.

The health-care experts over at Conservatives 4 Palin, meanwhile, are proudly telegraphing the new 45% statistic: "What we see here is the ballgame." But because, strangely, the Palin people's ability to read seems to have short-circuited at the moment of maximum political convenience, I feel that I should do them a favor and reprint the relevant section in its entirety from the NBC article:

One of the reasons why [the environment for health-care reform] has become tougher is due to misperceptions about the president’s plans for reform.

[...] Forty-five percent think the reform proposals would allow the government to make decisions about when to stop providing medical care for the elderly.

That also is untrue: The provision in the House legislation that critics have seized on -- raising the specter of “death panels” or euthanasia -- would simply allow Medicare to pay doctors for end-of-life counseling, if the patient wishes.

I wouldn't want Sarah Palin or her defenders to continue spreading misinformation to the American public. I'm sure that's not what they want to do.

source - http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/08/45-of-americans-believe-falsely-that-obama-will-create-death-panels.html#more

Personally, I'm disappointed the new plan DOESN'T have death panels, and not just the "stop providing health care" panels. Fuck the Elderly! Bring on Logan's Run!

Seriously, now, don’t get me wrong, I loved my grandparents and all, dearly, but lets just cut the shit here and speak the truth, most elderly folks are downright dull, they complain too much, eat with their mouths open, and sometimes, they even smell funny - which is why, if they were alive today, I’d want them dead.

And to ensure the Death Panel hums merrily along with the utmost efficiency, with no room for error, I’m going to go ahead and advocate that all newborns be stamped with an expiration date – 74.5 years in the future for men, 82.7 years for women. And as an added incentive, insurance policies will pay out double to the families of those who do us all the favor of passing away before their pre-arranged date of departure.

you know, there will be a lot of fake boobs buried in the ground in another 40 years or so

Is that the taunt of a serial killer? Take note, people!

Regarding creative negative population growth encouragement, I need to consult the Star Trek episode that they visit the planet that's completely overpopulated and crowded to see what the Book of Roddenberry says on the matter.

More news that might make you re-think your decision to not stick your head in a microwave, thereby erasing your map:

45% Of Americans Believe, Falsely, That Obama Will Create Death Panels

There is much to discuss in NBC's new health-care poll, but this part jumped out at me like an army of flesh-eating zombies:

Forty-five percent think the reform proposals would allow the government to make decisions about when to stop providing medical care for the elderly.

There is, of course, no reform proposal that will do any such thing, and the fact that 45% of Americans believe otherwise is really an ugly testament to the amount of misinformation polluting the health-care debate.

The health-care experts over at Conservatives 4 Palin, meanwhile, are proudly telegraphing the new 45% statistic: "What we see here is the ballgame." But because, strangely, the Palin people's ability to read seems to have short-circuited at the moment of maximum political convenience, I feel that I should do them a favor and reprint the relevant section in its entirety from the NBC article:

One of the reasons why [the environment for health-care reform] has become tougher is due to misperceptions about the president’s plans for reform.

[...] Forty-five percent think the reform proposals would allow the government to make decisions about when to stop providing medical care for the elderly.

That also is untrue: The provision in the House legislation that critics have seized on -- raising the specter of “death panels” or euthanasia -- would simply allow Medicare to pay doctors for end-of-life counseling, if the patient wishes.

I wouldn't want Sarah Palin or her defenders to continue spreading misinformation to the American public. I'm sure that's not what they want to do.

source - http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/08/45-of-americans-believe-falsely-that-obama-will-create-death-panels.html#more

Since you can't respond to your own post, I will respond in my best Good Old Neon impersonation:

Well, 79% of Americans believe in angels.

[ChristopherHutchensArticle][/ChristopherHutchensArticle]

Since you can't respond to your own post, I will respond in my best Good Old Neon impersonation:

Well, 79% of Americans believe in angels.

[ChristopherHutchensArticle][/ChristopherHutchensArticle]

You son of a bitch.