Robert Pollard, Etc.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great track ...

most of bob's best recent tracks are mid-tempo (the blondes, butler stands for all of us, miles under the skin, no island, circle saw boys club, etc.)

doesn't this one start with the exact same chord as miles under the skin?

good stuff

Just the opening chord, but that's the extent of it. The second chord in Miles is a third, where Question Girl moves a half-step. Great track tho.

"all right the coastline"

Pre-ordering is available now...

Done !

• 2 weeks later...

okay, i'm going through the GBV slowly. then probably pollard solo stuff. is there a website with a directory of his other side projects. it's exciting that he has so much shit out there, but overwhelming. right now, half smiles is in rotation. i love it! given another zeitgeist, pollard would have been an arena rocker. ironically, he lives near hara arena in dayton which was a mecca in the 70s and early 80s for the greatest music of all time.

okay, i'm going through the GBV slowly. then probably pollard solo stuff. is there a website with a directory of his other side projects. it's exciting that he has so much shit out there, but overwhelming. right now, half smiles is in rotation. i love it! given another zeitgeist, pollard would have been an arena rocker. ironically, he lives near hara arena in dayton which was a mecca in the 70s and early 80s for the greatest music of all time.

Rider ... your guidebook to GBV is www.gbvdb.com, a miraculous site that will answer any questions you have about what was released when, who plays on which records, what songs were played live, etc.

the essential releases are all the gbv records from bee thousand on --> b000, alien lanes, under the bushes under the stars (that's the holy trinity - the greatest 3-record stretch in rock music history), mag earwhig, do the collapse, isolation drills, universal truths and cycles, earthquake glue and half smiles, which you have PLUS the best pollard solo releases: waved out, kid marine, not in my air force and from a compound eye PLUS side projects ask them (by lexo and the leapers), choreographed man of war (robert pollard & his soft rock renegades) and blues and boogie shoes (keene brothers with tommy keene)

those 16 releases are a great starting point, but there are literally dozens more side projects, solo records, a bunch of early GBV records (vampire on titus and propeller are difficult but incredible) and the two legendary suitcase box sets (the third is out soon), each with 100 tracks that bob found on casettes in an old suitcase. some are as good as anything he's ever done. on top of that, there are literally dozens of CDs of unreleased stuff, demos, alternate versions, b-sides and rarities, etc.

i don't think anything bob has released in the last four years (since From a Compound Eye in 2005) is essential, but most contain two or three great tracks

it is truly a lifetime's work trying to keep up with Bob's catalogue.

and worth every second

Rider ... your guidebook to GBV is www.gbvdb.com, a miraculous site that will answer any questions you have about what was released when, who plays on which records, what songs were played live, etc.

the essential releases are all the gbv records from bee thousand on --> b000, alien lanes, under the bushes under the stars (that's the holy trinity - the greatest 3-record stretch in rock music history), mag earwhig, do the collapse, isolation drills, universal truths and cycles, earthquake glue and half smiles, which you have PLUS the best pollard solo releases: waved out, kid marine, not in my air force and from a compound eye PLUS side projects ask them (by lexo and the leapers), choreographed man of war (robert pollard & his soft rock renegades) and blues and boogie shoes (keene brothers with tommy keene)

those 16 releases are a great starting point, but there are literally dozens more side projects, solo records, a bunch of early GBV records (vampire on titus and propeller are difficult but incredible) and the two legendary suitcase box sets (the third is out soon), each with 100 tracks that bob found on casettes in an old suitcase. some are as good as anything he's ever done. on top of that, there are literally dozens of CDs of unreleased stuff, demos, alternate versions, b-sides and rarities, etc.

i don't think anything bob has released in the last four years (since From a Compound Eye in 2005) is essential, but most contain two or three great tracks

it is truly a lifetime's work trying to keep up with Bob's catalogue.

and worth every second

thanks hardwood. i'm psyched, and yet totally overwhelmed. i'm sad to hear that the last few years have been touch and go. so what is the fading captain series?

the first song i really dug by GBV was Wished I was Giant off of Vampire i believe. i worked at a record store in dayton in the mid 90s during gbv heyday and that's one i heard and liked. the rest i was not into. i was steeped in the dead at that point. have tried a few times in the past 10 years to get into them only to enjoy a few songs. for some reason, half smiles is really sinking in, so i'm interested in what's next. thanks so much for the list. it's a good place to start:)

i was steeped in the dead at that point. have tried a few times in the past 10 years to get into them only to enjoy a few songs. for some reason, half smiles is really sinking in, so i'm interested in what's next. thanks so much for the list. it's a good place to start:)

a lot of gbv fanatics are also heavy-duty dead fans

you couldn't find too more different bands, but they do share some qualities ... incredible musicianship, legendary live shows, hardcore cult following, astonishingly varied catalogue, richly detailed lyrics and a legendary obsession with a mind-expanding substance (dead = acid, gbv = miller lite)

a lot of gbv fanatics are also heavy-duty dead fans

you couldn't find too more different bands, but they do share some qualities ... incredible musicianship, legendary live shows, hardcore cult following, astonishingly varied catalogue, richly detailed lyrics and a legendary obsession with a mind-expanding substance (dead = acid, gbv = miller lite)

That's very interesting and I never thought about it but I fall in that category. Of course I just figured it was great taste in music.

Boston Spaceships - Zero To 99

Initial listens has revealed : :rock:

How Wrong You Are

Radical Amazement

Found Obstruction Rock n Roll

Question Girl All Right

Let It Rest For A Little While

(what a run of songs)

Meddle

Exploding Anthills

The Comedian

I've only heard it 3x and I'm already thinking it's better than Elephant Jokes

How is that even possible ?

The Pollardian Book of Rock - Volume 1-100

I heard that Zero to 99 leaked months ago but I haven't found it yet...and I've looked everywhere.

I ordered my copy the first day of the pre-sale, which was the same day they posted Question Girl All Right on the website. Rich T. sent out the first batch last Friday, which to my amazement arrived on Monday, two weeks before the release date.

Wow, I've gotten slack. I need to pre-order it this weekend. I figured it would be early getting out, Pollard's stuff is usually released a week before the actual release date.

All the hardcore Pollard fanatics are calling this the best thing he's done since Alien Lanes.

The thing is, all the hardcore Pollard fanatics call EVERYTHING he puts out the best things he's done since Alien Lanes.

(I would say the best thing he's put out since Alien Lanes is Under the Bushes, Half Smiles or From a Compound Eye, but what do i know)