Robert Pollard, Etc.

so i agree that he has been criminally underappreciated but i think he's brought a bit of that on himself

...interesting angle. I'm trying not to do any drive-by diagnosis shit on Bob, but I have to say I just don't get where he's at right now.

He seems alright with the 2,000 or so fan base that snaps up every mediocre release...I honestly sense bitterness that he never "made" it...perhaps that's why he's not even trying anymore.

that being said, the guy still gave us over 20 years of great music. that's more than most fans could ever ask for, and we'll always have that to fall back on. I do believe he still has a few great records left in him...if only he'd take things in a new direction.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...interesting angle. I'm trying not to do any drive-by diagnosis shit on Bob, but I have to say I just don't get where he's at right now.

He seems alright with the 2,000 or so fan base that snaps up every mediocre release...I honestly sense bitterness that he never "made" it...perhaps that's why he's not even trying anymore.

that being said, the guy still gave us over 20 years of great music. that's more than most fans could ever ask for, and we'll always have that to fall back on. I do believe he still has a few great records left in him...if only he'd take things in a new direction.

have you heard 0 to 99? it sure ain't alien lanes, but it's significantly better than everything else since FaCE. it's the first record he's put out in five years that doesn't make me cringe.

and best of all, todd tobias has nothing to do with it (except producing bob's vox)

have you heard 0 to 99? it sure ain't alien lanes, but it's significantly better than everything else since FaCE. it's the first record he's put out in five years that doesn't make me cringe.

and best of all, todd tobias has nothing to do with it (except producing bob's vox)

yeah, I've heard it all.

0 - 99 is great, but I think I'd put Planets are Blasted over it as the best Pollard release since FaCE.

That run of first 5 songs - Canned Food Demons, Dorothy, Tattoo Mission, Keep Me Down, Big O is great.

I can't imagine he's selling copies of this stuff to anybody other than the hardest hardcore bob apologists who would snap up a three-CD box set of Pollard, Nate Farley and Chris Slusarenko belching, then get drunk by themselves and sign onto Disarm the Settlers and brag about how brilliant it is and how drunk they are

did Todd produce it?

yeah, I've heard it all.

0 - 99 is great, but I think I'd put Planets are Blasted over it as the best Pollard release since FaCE.

That run of first 5 songs - Canned Food Demons, Dorothy, Tattoo Mission, Keep Me Down, Big O is great.

i need to give planets are blasted another shot

i need to give planets are blasted another shot

Yeah, totally. Greg demos lays down some wild solos on tracks 3 and 4

It kinda trails off in the middle, but the highs are higher than brown sub,etc. One could make a killer best of boston spaceships mix...think ill tackle one later

Pollard just may be the greatest artist you can pare down and make mixtape upon mixtape of

Also, there's been more intelligent discussion of the man and his music in this thread than I've experienced on dts in probably 4 years...ill still lurk there to hear about new bands and new bob stuff...but I'm too scared to even attempt bringing anything to the table post-wise anymore.

28 songs...best of boston spaceships. i think it holds up pretty strongly considering Pollard's latest output.

Canned Food Demons

How Wrong You Are

You Satisfy Me

Keep Me Down

Big O Gets An Earful

Winston's Atomic Bird

Tattoo Mission

Psych Threat

Brown Submarine

Dorothy's A Planet

Two Girl Area

Question Girl All Right

Sylph

Andy Playboy

Radical Amazement

Queen Of Stormy Weather

Soggy Beavers

Let It Rest for a Little While

Rat Trap

UFO Love Letters

Ready To Pop

The Town That's After Me

The Comedian

Go Inside

Heavy Crown

Exploding Anthills

Mr. Ghost Town

Go For The Exit

Keep Me Down is the most GBV like song I've heard in years. Pumping power chords, "I'm driven to youuuuu, I'm driven to drinkkkk".....I can just see Mitch blowing smoke and hopping around with his Les Paul slung low at his knees.

there's been more intelligent discussion of the man and his music in this thread than I've experienced on dts in probably 4 years

yeah, but how many beers did you have tonight?

ow!

Keep Me Down is the most GBV like song I've heard in years. Pumping power chords, "I'm driven to youuuuu, I'm driven to drinkkkk".....I can just see Mitch blowing smoke and hopping around with his Les Paul slung low at his knees.

i need to check that one out -- is it from planets are blasted?

i would say the same thing about radical amazement ... an almost GBV-esque track

ya know, as good as some of these songs are though, there's still something missing ... that musical edginess gillard brought, usually in the form of lyrical, riff-based intros that are repeated later on in the bridge or coda ... seems like almost all of bob's recent stuff is chord based and not riff-based ... taken individually, it's no big deal, but album after album of it is a problem

i need to check that one out -- is it from planets are blasted?

i would say the same thing about radical amazement ... an almost GBV-esque track

ya know, as good as some of these songs are though, there's still something missing ... that musical edginess gillard brought, usually in the form of lyrical, riff-based intros that are repeated later on in the bridge or coda ... seems like almost all of bob's recent stuff is chord based and not riff-based ... taken individually, it's no big deal, but album after album of it is a problem

Track 4 on planets

I agree about something missing...the songs are catchy, some get stuck in my head, but overall they've lost some of the magic. too samey

I could have sworn i saw someone mention something on DTS about Bob and doug currently working together...

i once asked bob before a gig about his no-hitter for wright state and he went on for 10 minutes about the game, and by the end of the conversation he was ripping larry bird and telling me his brother jim should have been Mr. Basketball for Ohio in 1975 or so instead of Jim Paxson

• 4 weeks later...

here's an incredible 2002 seattle show i posted on DTS

this is GBV at the peak of its live powers, with the bob / tim / nate / doug / jon mccann lineup

file 1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ra105o

file 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/cx7h8d

file 3 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/jtmh9q

Disc 1

1. Intro

2. Everywhere With Helicopter

3. Skin Parade

4. Things I Will Keep

5. In Stitches

6. Chasing Heather Crazy

7. Eureka Signs

8. Edison's Memos

9. Back To The Lake

10. I Drove a Tank

11. Universal Truths and Cycles

12. Waved Out

13. The Enemy

14. Game of Pricks

15. Cut-Out Witch

16. The Weeping Bogeyman

17. Christian Animation Torch Carriers

18. Alone, Stinking And Unafraid

19. Glad Girls

Disc 2

20. Watch Me Jumpstart

21. Car Language

22. Submarine Teams

23. The Brides Have Hit Glass

24. My Valuable Hunting Knife

25. Psychic Pilot Clocks Out

26. Tight Globes

27. Zap

28. Cheyenne

29. Twilight Campfighter

30. Shocker In Gloomtown

31. Love 1

32. Storm Vibrations

33. Soul Train College Policeman

34. Wire Greyhounds

35. From A Voice Plantation

36. Fair Touching

37. Skills Like This

38. Father Sgt. Christmas Card

39. Don't Stop Now

40. Instrument Beetle

Disc 3

41. Tractor Rape Chain

42. The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory

43. Hot Freaks

44. Echos Myron

45. Smothered In Hugs

46. I Am A Scientist

47. Peep-Hole

48. Lethargy

49. Teenage FBI

50. Baba O'Riley

Please let those links still be working when I get home from work. 63.gif

And thanks in advance!

they should be up for a week

any problems, i can easily repost 'em

i think i'm going to post one GBV show each week for the next 52 weeks if people are interested

they should be up for a week

any problems, i can easily repost 'em

i think i'm going to post one GBV show each week for the next 52 weeks if people are interested

cheers.gif

And oh yes, I would be interested.

Edit:

Downloading now, this show is from about a week after I saw them, awesome. Thanks again!

It's no Boston Spaceships, but after a couple of spins I can tell there are a few winners on Moses On A Snail

Dude, has it leaked? All the websites I used to use have all been shut down... :ohwell

Edit - nevermind, just found it.

GBV, Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, April 17, 1995

disc 1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/blb823

disc 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncvanl

incredible show from the alien lanes tour

1. A Salty Salute

2. Evil Speakers

3. Watch Me Jumpstart

4. King And Caroline

5. Motor Away

6. My Son Cool

7. Game Of Pricks

8. My Valuable Hunting Knife

9. Pimple Zoo

10. Blimps Go 90

11. Striped White Jets

12. Closer You Are

13. The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory

14. Tractor Rape Chain

15. Gold Star For Robot Boy

16. Smothered In Hugs

17. Hot Freaks

18. I Am A Scientist

19. Deaf Ears

20. Shocker In Gloomtown

21. Sheetkickers

22. Break Even

23. Why Did You Land?

24. Postal Blowfish

25. Marchers In Orange

26. Trap Soul Door

27. Lethargy

28. Exit Flagger

29. Big Boring Wedding

30. Deathtrot And Warlock Riding A Rooster

31. Matter Eater Lad

32. Unleashed! The Large-Hearted Boy

gbvdb.com entry on this show is at http://gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=1131

note that weed king is listed after matter eater lad & before unleashed but is not in this recording, so not sure if it was performed or not ... nothing seems to be missing