I bought the guitar of my dreams

So I did it. I saved, and I saved. And I waited, and I searched. And I searched some more. And then I bought it. My very first Martin guitar.

To make a long story short, I was able to get an amazing deal through an authorized dealer online. And there is always a catch -- I had to buy it online, sight unseen. I was worried about doing it, but the difference in price was so dramatic, that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. (if you want to know where I got it, let me know...)

Anyway, I take the guitar out of the box, and it is beautiful. Breathtaking. Except for two wood grain lines that run down the body of the guitar on opposite sides of the F-hole (one just below the pickguard). I don't know much about wood grains, or tops in general, so I don't know if this is just a case of the natural growth pattern in Red Spruce. Or, frankly, if it is a good, bad, or indifferent occurrence. The sound doesnt appear to impacted in anyway. So I am inclined to say that I can/should be indifferent to it. But as I said, I dont know much about it. And I am coming to my friends here at VC to help me understand what I've got on my hands.

Any thoughts? Thanks everyone...

EDIT: the pics dont come through so clearly, but the first pic seems to be clearer. And yes, I am growing a beard. What gave that away? :lol

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

Firstly, your wearing my favorite Yo La Tengo Tee.

Nice.

Second: that a D-18 Matt? Black Binding around the Body makes me think "yes".

Third: Pics don't really give me a clear view ( I can see it on the lower side tho) but I'm betting that top is milled from the same board and is book-matched giving you a "reverse" grain image on the upper bout, no?

It's not uncommon for there to be irregularities in grain patterns, some woods seem to present them more dramatically than others though.

It shouldn't be a concern for you. Congrats!

Firstly, your wearing my favorite Yo La Tengo Tee.

Nice.

Second: that a D-18 Matt? Black Binding around the Body makes me think "yes".

Third: Pics don't really give me a clear view ( I can see it on the lower side tho) but I'm betting that top is milled from the same board and is book-matched giving you a "reverse" grain image on the upper bout, no?

It's not uncommon for there to be irregularities in grain patterns, some woods seem to present them more dramatically than others though.

It shouldn't be a concern for you. Congrats!

Haha, yes to everything. It's my favorite Yo La Tengo t-shirt, it's a D-18GE, and I dont know much about milling or wood, but the irregularity is very symmetrical. So when you say "book-matched" and "reverse grain image", even though I don't know what that means, it makes intuitive sense, and it would be how I describe what it looks like.

Thanks for the response. I have to admit that it's a bit odd because it makes the top look like it is in 3 pieces, and of course, my instinct was to be disappointed. I would prefer to have a guitar without irregularities (especially at that price!). But I also want a guitar that is unique. Like a fingerprint. And if that makes this one my very own, so be it. And the sound is all that really matters to me anyway.

even though I don't know what that means, it makes intuitive sense, and it would be how I describe what it looks like.

It means your top is derived from the same piece of spruce, halved down it's depth. Two sides of the same coin, same grain pattern on both sides only a mirror image ( probably).

"GE". That explains the old school Waverly tuners. Very Nice. Beautiful in fact.

Gives it character. Remember the D-18 is the working man's dreadnought: A little louder and more boisterous than all of the others in it's line. A little character suits them just fine. Your gonna grow to love the look of that thing......

One of these days i'll post you a pic of my beloved 66 D-18. Beat but sweet. I'm working on a "new" sound hole from pick-wear just above the bridge.

"GE". That explains the old school Waverly tuners. Very Nice. Beautiful in fact.

Yep. Even the tuners made me gasp. I am not worthy of this instrument.

Gives it character. Remember the D-18 is the working man's dreadnought: A little louder and more boisterous than all of the others in it's line. A little character suits them just fine. Your gonna grow to love the look of that thing......

One of these days i'll post you a pic of my beloved 66 D-18. Beat but sweet. I'm working on a "new" sound hole from pick-wear just above the bridge.

Yep, you nailed my thinking. I played most of the Ds (D-28, HD-28, HD-28V, etc.), and the rosewood on the 28s/35s just didn't sit right with me. I quickly found that I preferred the mahogany punch of the D-18. And when I stumbled across the D-18GE, well, that was all she wrote. Also helped that I happened to read a recent article about Elvis Costello in Acoustic Guitar Magazine where he said his main songwriting guitar now is a 1947 D-18.

Thanks again for your help, jimmyjimmy. Post that 66 D-18 for me to check out. Would love to see it.

:thumbup yes, nice instrument, those GEs are really, really nice...Im a big Martin guy, I have a '70 D-28 (my main guitar), '70 d-18 and a 07' SWOMGT...ill post pics as well...

The grain is awfully hard to see, but i was able to get the idea from your description...if you are worried about structural issues from this grain cut, then I would reassure you not to...however, if it is too big an aesthetic hurdle to overcome, Id contact the retailer, or Martin, and get a direct replacement...the GE series are too expensive for you not to get exactly what you want, so bond with it for a week, then make a decision...i however would have no problems keeping her, gorgeous guitar, and d-18s are just as iconic to me as nearly any other classic model...

make su re you join here ---> Unofficial Martin Message Board

:thumbup yes, nice instrument, those GEs are really, really nice...Im a big Martin guy, I have a '70 D-28 (my main guitar), '70 d-18 and a 07' SWOMGT...ill post pics as well...

The grain is awfully hard to see, but i was able to get the idea from your description...if you are worried about structural issues from this grain cut, then I would reassure you not to...however, if it is too big an aesthetic hurdle to overcome, Id contact the retailer, or Martin, and get a direct replacement...the GE series are too expensive for you not to get exactly what you want, so bond with it for a week, then make a decision...i however would have no problems keeping her, gorgeous guitar, and d-18s are just as iconic to me as nearly any other classic model...

make su re you join here ---> Unofficial Martin Message Board

Oh, I have been lurking at the Martin board for a couple of months now. Never posted though. Really a great place if you are a guitar geek. Or, an aspiring guitar geek. :)

This guitar will never be sold. Unless one of my heirs sells it after I am in the ground. So, the aesthetic issue, as you said, is really just mine. I will take the week with it and see how it feels. Although, after falling in love with it last night, it is going to be very hard to give it up. As I said, this is my first Martin, and you know what they say about first loves. And I kind of like the imperfection in a way.

If I can take some other pics that show it better, I will try to post them. In the meantime, if this turns into the Martin Appreciation Thread, and everyone posts pics of theirs, that would be pretty great. Would love to see what other people have in their families.

Wow, D-18GE. I am so jealous! Congrats, man. That is a keeper.

As for your bookmatched grain: I personally like seeing unusual grain in the spruce. I think it gives it mojo / personality. A reminder that it is wood from a living, breathing tree. YMMV, of course, but I think I would dig it. (if you could post a closer / clearer picture, I'd appreciate it).

Don't worry for structural issues, I highly doubt Martin would build a GE w/ sub-par wood.

Must ... control ... GAS ... :pirate

I'm drooling. Beautiful guitar you have there Matt. I've always wanted a Martin... someday, damnit, someday!

I couldn't agree more -- no need to worry on a structural level, but if it just doesn't look right to you, then by all means, get a replacement. Personally, I think minor "imperfections" (I hesitate to even use that term) like that give an instrument character, but this is your guitar (and perhaps your children's and their children's, etc.), so you deserve to be 100% satisfied with it, especially given the sizable investment involved here.

Congrats on the guitar. As so many others have commented, one day, I too will own my very own Martin. As a teen, I used to spend hours at Gruhn Guitars staring at old Martins (and playing them on the wonderful occasions when the sales people would allow it, given that it was clear that I was in no way capable of purchasing one). It will fulfill a nearly lifelong dream when I one day walk into that store and purchase a Martin that was already considered vintage when I was born.

gear envy! let us know what happens so the poorer of us out here can live vicariously through you. Congratulations on your new acquisition.

You want a MORE awesome guitar, try the Breedlove Revival 000 12-fret--I just bought a Rosewood model, just like Jeff's first Breedlove (and the foundation for the Tweedy Ltd. Ed. Revival 000)--$2000.00. I also have a mahogany Martin dreadnought which is WAY different sounding and feeling. I actually like the Breedlove better.

GE = Golden Era. GREAT guitars. Lots of pros will swear by these. Make SURE to keep it humidified.

Congrats, Matt! That is one truly awesome guitar. Very jealous.

I have been told, from a relative that is in the music business (not that that makes him special) that the GE sounds like a high-end Taylor. That many (or most) Martins kind of warmly reverberate their sound from the whole body, but Taylors and the GE models project the sound straight out of the soundhole very directly... dunno... just what I was told.

I have an HD-28V (good for me) that I play fingerstyle using Silk and Steel strings that I fell in love with within the last 6 months or so. Kind of evens out the boominess for fingerstyle. Sounds beautiful.

Enjoy your new toy.

Congrats, Matt! That is one truly awesome guitar. Very jealous.

I have been told, from a relative that is in the music business (not that that makes him special) that the GE sounds like a high-end Taylor. That many (or most) Martins kind of warmly reverberate their sound from the whole body, but Taylors and the GE models project the sound straight out of the soundhole very directly... dunno... just what I was told.

I have an HD-28V (good for me) that I play fingerstyle using Silk and Steel strings that I fell in love with within the last 6 months or so. Kind of evens out the boominess for fingerstyle. Sounds beautiful.

Enjoy your new toy.

actually...i find taylors to sound quite different (and lacking a bit) to Martins in general, GEs in particular...personal preference taken into consideration

Well, I wasn't able to take a better pic of the guitar, so I can't post anything for anyone to check out. And not that anyone really cares, but I have convinced myself that the grain markings are unique and make the guitar special. :)

I feel the pain of everyone in this thread who longs for a Martin or has gear envy. All I can say is that I spent a very long time saving, and an even longer time telling myself that (1) I wasn't good enough to "deserve" a guitar this nice, (2) the difference couldn't possibly be that pronounced, and (3) this much $$ for a guitar was insane. After a weekend with the guitar, I can say unabashedly, that I spent way too long finding reasons NOT to get one, and only wish I convinced myself to get it sooner. I still don't deserve a guitar this nice, but man, its the closest I can come to heaven from my couch. I will have it for the rest of my life. I can't say that about many things.

There ARE deals out there if you look for them. I can point people to a website that had by FAR the lowest prices I found after months of searching. I don't want to advertise for them, so PM me if you are interested. Obviously, before reaching out for contact info, keep in mind how this thread started. :)

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

... and an even longer time telling myself that (1) I wasn't good enough to "deserve" a guitar this nice, (2) the difference couldn't possibly be that pronounced, and (3) this much $$ for a guitar was insane.

Ha! I struggled with this, as well. But I overcame them in this fashion:

1) Fuck it. It is better than blowing my discretionary income on booze, drugs, beanie babies, Yankee paraphernalia, Honda Accord accessories, Ed Hardy T-shirts, ... etc.

2) Yes, the difference is huge. Unarguable [although I feel there is a steep curve in the beginning with diminishing returns above, say, 4k]

3) see Item #1

• 1 month later...