Creepiest movie ever?

But the one that gets under your skin the most.

It can be a horror movie, but isn't necessarily so...

M

The 1933 Fritz Lang masterpiece about the Child Murderer of Düsseldorf. It wasn't only creepy on the surface -- with Peter Lorre at his most leering and toad-ish, as a molester/murderer, but the way the film was structured anticipated/predicted the rise of Fascism in post-WWI Germany. Creepy on so many levels.

Freaks

You know, it's about circus freaks. And stars real circus freaks. That's creepy.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M

The 1933 Fritz Lang masterpiece about the Child Murderer of Düsseldorf. It wasn't only creepy on the surface -- with Peter Lorre at his most leering and toad-ish, as a molester/murderer, but the way the film was structured anticipated/predicted the rise of Fascism in post-WWI Germany. Creepy on so many levels.

I had to take a German expressionist film class, and we watched that, but what really creeped me out was Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920), which is a warped little mindfuck of a film that has had quite a lot of influence on the Tim Burtons and Guillermo del Toros of our time.

Dark City (1998) is a creepy sci-fi classic that was clearly inspired by those insane German directors. Definitely one I wouldn't watch alone.

Eraserhead (1977) is warped, creepy and bizarro-funny without feeling self-conscious like Lynch's latter films do to me.

Anything by Gaspar Noe (though my exposure is limited to I Stand Alone and Irreversible).

Also, The Vanishing (not the U.S. remake).

I guess I'm answering the question by thinking about movies that creeped me out - maybe they weren't creepy, but I sure felt like I had been punched in the stomach when the movie was over.

But the one that gets under your skin the most.

It can be a horror movie, but isn't necessarily so...

M

Freaks

You know, it's about circus freaks. And stars real circus freaks. That's creepy.

M and Freaks are great films. I don't find them very creepy though. A few of the shots in Nosferatu are pretty creepy, but the creepiest film I've seen is The Haunting. It's only really scary though if you watch it in a house on your own late at night - maybe on a rainy night. You never see anything - just loud noises etc... that's what is creepy - cos it's left to your imagination to guess what's on the other side of the door! waaaah!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xq74oz6mf3w

that's the trailer. white zombie (the band sampled some of it - so that means it must be scary, right!)

EDIT: Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0li0zIGN2Q&feature=related

Now that is creepy!

"Lost Highway" had some pretty creepy moments... esp. the scene with Robert Blake at the party.

We've met before, haven't we?

that is such a great scene!

The Shining.

Mets 2009 Season Recap.

Looking back now it seems silly, but Signs freaked me out. I couldn't sleep for days after seeing it. I remember waking my roommate up one night because I thought there was an alien in our kitchen.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between scary and creepy, so I'll just go with my first reaction...

I've watched The Exorcist probably 40 or 50 times, and I still get chills down my spine during the bedroom scenes. Scary, creepy, whatever you want to call it - the movie freaks me out.

The original Wicker Man was creepy -- anything about nice, sweet towns folks who are actually blood thirsty satanists (or in this case pagans)always freaked me out. That whole "We've got something special panned for you..and it's that you'll be sacrificed to our fertility god or Satan" vibe.

In that vein, there was some movie about a family that moves to a quaint New England town with a mystery -- which turns out to be that once a year, the women pick some hot dude to mate with a lucky gal, then all the ladies sacrifice him to their fertility god, freaked me out. Can't remember the name but Bette Davis was in it, and I think Blyth Danner.

Anyone remember Crow Haven Farm with Hope Lange? Scared me as a child. Witches in pilgrim gear, and a mysterious beast in a pit.

Now I'm gonna have nightmares. Great.

51A1WFS5HJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not even close for me, this is the creepiest movie I have seen by far. To this day if I hear a strange noise while playing guitar in the basement, scenes from this movie are what come to mind.

"Crowhaven Farm" scared the crap out of me as a little kid. I remember having nightmares of Pilgrims piling bricks on top of me. Within the last year or two, someone posted parts of "Crowhaven Farm" on YouTube (It's gone now). As is the case with so many made-for-TV movies, it had not aged well.

I think "Happiness" is creepy in the same way as Todd Solondz's "Welcome to the Dollhouse," as well as Larry Clark's "Bully" and "Kids." And I might even put "Pink Flamingos" in the "this seems icky and real" creepy category.

"M," "Nosferatu," and "Freaks" may have been creepy in their time, but today, I just find 'em great. "The Haunting" however is more like "The Innocents," both are a little newer and both are still creepy today. If you haven't seen "The Innocents," rent it now.

"Exorcist" is great. It starts creepy and turns scary as hell, but I guess all the best horror films do that, right? I think it is more scary than creepy.

I find the violence in all of the following movies creepy, or maybe I just find it disturbing and unsettling: "Last House on the Left" (1972 version), "Straw Dogs," "Texas Chainsaw" (1974 version), "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer."

Finally, here are two relatively new, creepy movies (two ghost stories and one vampire story) I enjoyed very much--"The Devils Backbone," "The Orphanage" and "Let The Right One In."

Eraserhead (1977) is warped, creepy and bizarro-funny without feeling self-conscious like Lynch's latter films do to me.

I have seen this only recently and it is a genuinely creepy movie.

LouieB

"Signs" really got me

"The Ring" as well.

"Henry-Portrait of a Serial Killer" I saw that when it came out. I wont watch that again.

"Night of the Living Dead" Saw that when I was a kid. I cant watch now, even as an adult.