I didn't love it or loathe it, but I liked it. I was disappointed for a couple of reasons, one less important to me than the other; one, the film is not one big Nazi bloodfest like it's been hyped to be (the Basterds are not even the stars of the film), and two, the writing and direction is not on par with (at least) Kill Bill. Less important is the disappointment in the way it's being marketed. The moments of snappy, awesome, yes! moments were just too few and far between. One could argue that it's a different type of film that he's made here, but there are really some moments that fall kind of flat because I wasn't sure what the tone was supposed to be.

Although I still have not seen Deathproof, I wonder if QT is slipping steadily after the geyser of bloody fun that KB was/is.

Still, some great great sequences (the Bowie song, the introduction of Eli Roth's character, the Italian guises, the finale, most of the basement scene, any time Brad Pitt is onscreen - even when it's just his voice), that make it easy to recommend.

Still, some great great sequences (the Bowie song, the introduction of Eli Roth's character, the Italian guises, the finale, most of the basement scene, any time Brad Pitt is onscreen - even when it's just his voice), that make it easy to recommend.

You've pretty much listed them all.

The lines that summarized King Kong were my favorites.

I was expecting/hoping that each Basterd would be back-storied, ala Hugo Stiglitz, but he ended up being the only one.

I really, really liked it. I thought it was one of Tarantino's best films.

Same here. A lot of the criticism seems to target elements that I thought were strengths. Like all of his movies, it's a movie about movies, but here it feels different: Rather than merely lift and re-fashion genre conventions, now Tarantino is re-working the metaphorical meanings of those genre conventions. It might not be as well-sustained as, say, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, but overall it's a much richer experience.

For me, the climactic sequence was intensely satisfying and surprisingly cathartic--surprising because I usually loathe revenge fantasies, but when the giant ghostly Jewish face cackled at the carnage below, I choked up. I immediately wanted to see it again, and I haven't felt that way about a Tarantino flick for some time.

I loved it. I thought it was brilliantly suspenseful throughout. The first scene alone was worth the price of admission, in my opinion. I was aware beforehand that how the film was marketed was not how it was actually going to be. I had heard that much of it was in a foreign language and it really isn't about the Basterds, so I knew what I was getting into. I hope that German fellow gets a best supporting actor nomination - he was perfect.

You've pretty much listed them all.

The lines that summarized King Kong were my favorites.

I was expecting/hoping that each Basterd would be back-storied, ala Hugo Stiglitz, but he ended up being the only one.

Same here. I really enjoyed this movie, it could have had a back story style scene for Brad Pitts character. Also, I heard Adams Sandler was asked to be the "bear jew" but couldn't because he was in funny people.

Also, I heard Adams Sandler was asked to be the "bear jew" but couldn't because he was in funny people.

I read that as well. On a similar note, I found Mike Myers to be hugely distracting in the scene he was in. Not that I thought he did bad or overacted or anything, I just felt that Mike Myers being in the scene took me out of the movie more than it should have.

I loved it. I thought it was brilliantly suspenseful throughout. The first scene alone was worth the price of admission, in my opinion. I was aware beforehand that how the film was marketed was not how it was actually going to be. I had heard that much of it was in a foreign language and it really isn't about the Basterds, so I knew what I was getting into. I hope that German fellow gets a best supporting actor nomination - he was perfect.

yes.. uh, correcto.

I absolutely loved it. And after seeing District 9 the previous weekend, I loved it even more.

The whole thing felt brilliant and the 2.5 hours just flew by. I hardly noticed time passing. I can't claim to be a Tarantino expert but Pulp Fiction is one of my favs of all time and, although I was not a fan of Kill Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next and checking out what I haven't already seen.

My wife hates Tarantino because of the violence but wasn't too off put by the violence in IB. She did think that the scalping stuff was a little much and did threaten to kill me for taking her to see something that gross.

While not as violent as Kill Bill, which after a while becomes numbing, I would still say that it's a pretty violent movie.

My wife generally refuses to watch films with any kind of strong or graphic violence, but she has a mysterious affection for Tarantino movies. (Her favorite is Jackie Brown.) Part of it, I think, is that QT films are about words as much as violence, and he tends to write solid, original female characters. Plus, my wife is a sucker for cool people walking in slow-motion.

She even attended Kill Bill without prodding, and liked it, despite an inauspicious start. My wife, who treats movie popcorn as if it were water-turned-into-wine, had just settled in with a large tub of popcorn as the movie started. If you've seen the opening scene, you remember how it has a sudden act of violence that skillfully catches you off guard. Well, it startled my wife something good, and that tub of popcorn, still untouched, went flying straight up into the air. Needless to say, Stacy was peeved, a state not helped by my own impulse to start giggling uncontrollably. The story has a good ending, though: The concession seller took pity on my wife and gave her a new tub free of charge.

I liked it. Didn't absolutely blow my mind or anything but I definitley enjoyed it. Since I had a private viewing, I spent a lot of time squealing things like "Hellz yeah, beyotch, you gonna die Nazi!" I wouldn't say it was QT's best, but pretty much anything he does is better than most of what everyone else does.

A lot of the criticism seems to target elements that I thought were strengths. Like all of his movies, it's a movie about movies, but here it feels different: Rather than merely lift and re-fashion genre conventions, now Tarantino is re-working the metaphorical meanings of those genre conventions. It might not be as well-sustained as, say, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, but overall it's a much richer experience.

What are the elements that you're referring to here? One of my criticisms is that IB's dialogue doesn't pop in a way that one would expect from a QT screenplay. Are you saying it isn't supposed to?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw IB on the weekend. Not a perfect film, but very, very close to perfect...and thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying to watch on the big screen. If nothing else Tarantino is the ultimate film buff, and beyond all the nods and homages he gives you everything you could ask for--- riveting suspense, great acting performances, great interplay between the characters, subtle storytelling cues, superb lighting and framing, superb use of music (the scene with Bowie's Putting Out Fire was incredible), brilliantly 'classic' (mixed with postmodern) use of the hero and heroine, and classic comedies of errors and physical stunts. Booze and tobacco haven't looked so good since Bogart's time. All the while Tarantino's films never take themselves too seriously. I think QT is one of the greats of all time. This movie is well worth ten bucks to see.

I didn't like the movie as a whole, but several scenes were fantastic! While QT may have shined in a few places, (when the theatre owner eats dessert with the Nazi) (Using smoke as a projector screen) (Putting Out The Fire) overall I felt he didn't "deliver" this time when it came to character development and dialogue. Aside from Colonel Hans Landa and Emmanuelle Mimieux that is....