If this alt timeline is what happened if the bomb detonated, then I'm going to guess that the bomb detonating caused the universe to unravel events further back in time, to ultimately create a timeline with no conflicts where the island ends up underwater due to a different event.

I've read some speculation that the flashsideways are not actually a result of the bomb being detonated, but instead showing what would happen if the Man in Black/Flocke is successful. Which kinda makes sense...the characters who have been promised things by the MiB more or less have received them in the alternate timelines. Again, gonna have to see a lot more evidence of this before I completely get onboard with this theory...it also makes it difficult to understand Juliet's "It worked" comment in the premiere, right before she died. I dunno. Also was wondering last night the significance of the screen turning white behind the L O S T at the end of last season's finale, as opposed to the standard black, and whether/when we'll see that again. Maybe to signify the end of the flashsideways? Can't think they'll go on the entire season, but then again I'm unspoiled so maybe they will.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this alt timeline is what happened if the bomb detonated, then I'm going to guess that the bomb detonating caused the universe to unravel events further back in time, to ultimately create a timeline with no conflicts where the island ends up underwater due to a different event.

My theory is that the alt timeline is what would have happened if Jacob had never "touched" anyone. Never lured anyone to the island. Under this theory, the Dharma Initiative still goes to the island, Ben and Roger Linus still go to the island, the DI still tries to build the swan and sink the island, Jack has a son, etc. etc.

I hear you because Sun is a character that has a lot more to add (as seen by her actions against her father and with Widmore off the island). However, Sun's constant questioning of "Do you know where Jin is?" is the very same question that I have been asking. I'm rather curious as to where Jin is in respect to what side he is on. Just because he was being cared for by Claire (or was he really her captive?) two episodes ago, does that mean he is on the side of MIB? Whether Sun and Jin end up on opposing sides and how it all works out between these two is the storyline I'm most excited to see resolved.

So I've been thinking about this some more. How did Sun go from ruthless businesswoman in season 4's flash forwards, like her confrontations with her father and Charles Widmore, to wanting to kill Ben, to landing on the island and just doing nothing? What's it been, maybe a few weeks character time between when she had a gun held on Ben in "This Place is Death" to the last episode when she asks him to help her with her shelter? What's changed? Did she really want to kill Ben, or was her real goal just to be reunited with Jin and she now sees that Ben isn't her problem. Also, did her and Widmore make some kind of agreement? Is she helping Widmore? Does she know more about what's going on than she's letting on?

Also, Richard told Sun that he saw Jack, Kate, and Hurley "all die" but then didn't blink a eye when he ran into Hurley and Jack in the jungle. What's up with that?

Guest Runaway Jim

Also, Richard told Sun that he saw Jack, Kate, and Hurley "all die" but then didn't blink a eye when he ran into Hurley and Jack in the jungle. What's up with that?

I don't think that is accurate. When did he say he was them "all die"? I think what he said was that everyone at the temple was dead, but then when asked about Jack, Kate, Hurley, etc. he sort of shook his head and said "they weren't there".

I don't think that is accurate. When did he say he was them "all die"? I think what he said was that everyone at the temple was dead, but then when asked about Jack, Kate, Hurley, etc. he sort of shook his head and said "they weren't there".

Richard told Sun last season (just a few days in Lost time) when she showed them a picture of the 77 Dharma group with Jack, Kate, Hurley, etc that he knew them back then and that he saw them die

Richard told Sun last season (just a few days in Lost time) when she showed them a picture of the 77 Dharma group with Jack, Kate, Hurley, etc that he knew them back then and that he saw them die

Exactly. It was late last season, but a few days ago in character time. Did he forget he saw them die or what?

One of the most interesting things in "Dr. Linus" is that Jack has finally started to believe.

His scene with Richard (and Richard's utter despair) are extremely telling. Jack blythely lights the fuse to the dynamite and has a sit down for a chat with Richard sure that the dynamite will not explode. Jack now believes.

He didn't seem quite surprised to see Ben with the 'good guys. Ben gets redemption in the sideways world, although it is interesting to note that Locke is the one who put the kernel of plotting into his mind.

Maybe he saw the swan explode and figured they must have died, not timewarped?

Everyone that time jumped after the bomb when off was touched by Jacob at some point (but not Miles).

So this may solve the mystery of why they did not die in the explosion and Juliet did. Why is Miles still alive?

Ben is redeemed in sideways world? I saw that because of his one pet student and because he sucks at blackmail, he denies an entire school, generations of students, from a better education.

I wonder where Rousseau is in sideways land.

she's Bjork's stand-in

Ben is redeemed in sideways world? I saw that because of his one pet student and because he sucks at blackmail, he denies an entire school, generations of students, from a better education.

I wonder where Rousseau is in sideways land.

Consider it as a counter-point to the decision he made on the island that got Alex killed.

THAT is his redemption.

Consider it as a counter-point to the decision he made on the island that got Alex killed.

THAT is his redemption.

Agreed. This was the best episode yet for that kind of juxtaposition.

But what about the other characters? Are we to assume that they are redeemed only in the alt timeline too? Sayid seems to be heading down the same path in both.

I thought that episode was very well done. The lecture Dr. Linus is giving his students about Napolean that mirrors him in the alt-time line, giving his father gas to keep him alive...

Agreed. This was the best episode yet for that kind of juxtaposition.

But what about the other characters? Are we to assume that they are redeemed only in the alt timeline too? Sayid seems to be heading down the same path in both.

Perhaps that's why he's on MIB's side? Because there is no hope for redemption? I don't have an answer for Claire or Sawyer though..

I like the idea that the smoke monster was Jacob in earlier episodes. I'd forgotten this, but from Lostpedia (which assumes, by the way, that the smoke monster is and has been the MIB all throughout the series):

The ancient inhabitants seem to have also devised a method of summoning the Man in Black, which involved draining a small pool in a hidden chamber located beneath the present-day Barracks. The hieroglyphs on the door covering this chamber, which translate as "to summon protection", further suggest that the Smoke Monster served as some form of guardian.

So. Was it Jacob doing the protecting back then? Or is it possible that MIB plays a role as protector as well? Could there perhaps have been two smoke monsters? Also, is it safe to assume water repels the smoke monster in addition to ash? Just assuming, but if draining water allows him to come...I don't know, maybe no relation at all. Either way I wonder how things will play out at the hydra station.

Wow, I'm going through the Smoke Monster/MIB entry on Lostpedia, and reading all the past encounters with smokey. Some interesting stuff I've forgotten about. The MIB (or not?) appearing as Yemi, telling Eko he needs to be judged...Kate and Juliet being chased while handcuffed together in the jungle, and the smoke monster directing flashes of light at them...what was up with that?

All around a pretty decent episode this week.

I'm loving this season -- and so sad it's almost over.

My brain is not quite advanced enough to get so deep into all the theories, but the one I do have is the Jack and Sawyer will be the "protectors' of the island .. the new Jacob and MIB. I figure it needs two opposing forces. Jack was always a given, and with the real Locke gone -- it falls to Sawyer.

Regarding the idea that the folks who sided with MIB have a better alt. life, Jack didn't and he seems to be turning things around, and Ben defied him by going with the lady. I think the bomb worked, and all the suffering they experienced on the island was their redemption.

I have the WORST lost story to tell....

I've been following since day 1 (literally, I saw the 1st episode live) I have gotten dozens of people into the show. I'm scheduled to begin basic for the Army on MAY 23rd!!!! Looks like I'm missing the series finale by one day :(

Food For Thought:

I think the Series Finale will be a brain teaser for this reason:

We won't know if we're watching a flash back, flash forward or a flash sideways.

I haven't heard anything like this from any of those spoiler sites, but it's something that I could see them leaving us to ponder on for eternity.

I just had to pop in and add my $0.02...

I thought this episode was pretty stellar, especially considering how abysmal the acting was (IMO) in the first scene on the island. I have been, for the most part, really interested in the "sideways flash" stories this season, but this one was the best. It just encompassed everything Ben has lived on the island SO well.

The Widmore thing has me scratching my head. I'm happy to see him show up again, as he was SO instrumental in the whole story and I didn't want them to discount that. But I really can't even hazard a guess as to what his role will be.

Lost is the KING of beach reunion scenes, because they manage to make me cry every time. Yes, I'm a sentimental fool, but I was bawling my eyes out when Hurley & Jack reunited with Sun.

And finally, I thought it was hilarious how they brought Nikki & Paulo back into the story. At first, I asked myself, "How the heck does Miles know that they were buried alive? With diamonds?!?". Then I told myself, "he can talk to the dead, dummy." :blush

Now, a question (just one for now, as I've only seen the episode once. I'm sure more will come along :mellow ):

Can someone refresh my memory of when Hurley and Jack met Richard in the past? Or did they? I just can't remember, though it seemed they all recognized each other.

Now, a question (just one for now, as I've only seen the episode once. I'm sure more will come along :mellow ):

Can someone refresh my memory of when Hurley and Jack met Richard in the past? Or did they? I just can't remember, though it seemed they all recognized each other.

Jack met Richard in 1977 when Jack was looking for Danial Faraday, who had just been shot by his mom. Richard and Eloise helped Jack, Kate and Sayid get the Jughead out of the tunnels. It was in the episode "Follow the Leader" from last season.

I think last week's episode was the first time Richard met Hurley. But you'd never get that from the episode. Here's the transcript:

RICHARD: You're both wrong.

[Jack and Hurley look up at Richard, who has just emerged from the jungle]

RICHARD: The Temple's that way.

JACK: Where did you come from?

RICHARD: You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

JACK: Try me.

RICHARD: Not yet. But if you wanna go to the Temple, it's this way.

[He walks away ... Hurley looks at Jack]

HURLEY: Dude, do you trust that guy?

JACK: At least he's not stallin'.

[They follow Richard]

Other scenes...........

[in the jungle, Richard leads Hurley and Jack]

HURLEY: So... you're not time-travelling?

RICHARD: No.

HURLEY: But... you look the same as you did thirty years ago. How's that possible?

RICHARD: It's not easy to explain.

HURLEY: Is this, like, a Terminator thing? Are you a cyborg?

RICHARD: No, I'm not a cyborg.

HURLEY: Vampire?

RICHARD: Jacob gave me a gift.

Sort of implies that we pick up with them mid conversation. maybe Jack explained to Hurley that he had met Richard before.

Jack met Richard in 1977 when Jack was looking for Danial Faraday, who had just been shot by his mom. Richard and Eloise helped Jack, Kate and Sayid get the Jughead out of the tunnels. It was in the episode "Follow the Leader" from last season.

I think last week's episode was the first time he met Hurley.

Thank you! Geez, talk about a brain fart... :lol

I suppose it could be possible that Hurley encountered Richard via the DI in the 70's. We know Sawyer knows who Richard is. It's not my intent to nitpick by any means, I just couldn't remember if Hurley & Richard had ever shared screen time.

Also, WHERE IS SAWYER?!? I'm ready for him to come back now. He was my first big crush on the show... :blush, in love with a woman who I used to hate but became one of my favorite characters, and now that he's no longer using DI hair products (what happened there?!?), he is looking pretty damn fine again. :dancing

One more comment upon a re-watch... Ben, at the end. He really has NO ONE. I couldn't tell if Sun's reaction to him helping her with the tarp was kind or still sort of "I want you to die". I don't expect Jack or Hurley to care one whit about him, but I was sad when they came back to the beach and just kind of ignored him. IS Ben going to be the one to be the next caretaker of the island?

Man, I am sad for this show to end. Looking forward to the rest of the season, no doubt, but sad... :(