That last night is gonna be EPIC! I'm tempted to call in sick to work the next day. I imagine the ratings will be around 20-25 million, putting it in the top 20 all time finales.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I want to know who the skeletons are, in the caves.

We'll find out sooner than you think.

ninja.gif

At this point, I'm thinking Bernard & Rose. Originally, I thought Jack & Kate. For a while, I thought Jin & Sun.

I saw that Lost vs. V thing on The Soup. Hilarious.

At this point, I'm thinking Bernard & Rose. Originally, I thought Jack & Kate. For a while, I thought Jin & Sun.

I saw that Lost vs. V thing on The Soup. Hilarious.

Yeah, I went from Rose & Bernard to Jin & Sun and I'm back in the Rose & Bernard camp. The writers won't let their on island storyline end with "Have fun blowing stuff up, we're going to stay here."

Yeah, I went from Rose & Bernard to Jin & Sun and I'm back in the Rose & Bernard camp. The writers won't let their on island storyline end with "Have fun blowing stuff up, we're going to stay here."

I am gonna throw this out about the skeletons:

The Skeletons are the Man in Black and an unknown, or yet to be seen, woman.

I have a feeling the form we have seen MiB (Titus Welliver) is not actually the true MiB. He has just taken that body, just like he has taken John Locke. The actual MiB is some sort of demon or monster or whatnot that has taken the form of Titus Welliver and other dead people.

Let's just say if that episode aired in season 1 or 2, I probably would have stopped watching Lost. I'm glad they're having a go at the mythology, but that was just poorly done. Characters aren't supposed to announce to each other what they both already know.

It certainly was a bit sloppy for so late in the game. That being said it was a totally necessary episode that tied up major loose ends. I think they could've done what they did in half the time and covered more ground with the current storyline.

So...Just what is the MIB's name?

I thought it was a good episode... those characters deserved an episode just for themselves. The kid that played Jacob looked eerily like him, almost creepy. Glad the skeletons are revealed... though did we really need that flashback from season 1?

Wait, I'm confused... is Jacob's brother nameless? Like Led Zeppelin IV? Or have we just not been told his name, still??

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Let's just say if that episode aired in season 1 or 2, I probably would have stopped watching Lost.

Yes, me too. I think that was my least favorite episode of Lost.

You guys have said that a few times but I really think you should go back and re-watch some of the season 3 master pieces like "How Did Jack Get His Tattoos?" and "The Ballad of Paolo and Nikki", the compare it to Across The Sea.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Everytime I've rewatched Lost, I've liked it more. No doubt that when I rewatch Season 6, I will like it more, but that episode was frustrating. This sums it up pretty well for me...

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/12/lost-across-the-sea-recap/">exerpt from this article:

Here's an idea. Say you've got four-and-a-half hours to go before you're all done with a story that's been six years in the telling. How about you take the first of those hours and throw out all the rules you've established for the season as far as storytelling techniques go.

Skip all the main characters of the series, we don't need to see them. Instead, tell your story with only three main characters -- and one peripheral, but important, one.

Everytime I've rewatched Lost, I've liked it more. No doubt that when I rewatch Season 6, I will like it more, but that episode was frustrating. This sums it up pretty well for me...

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/12/lost-across-the-sea-recap/">exerpt from this article:

Here's an idea. Say you've got four-and-a-half hours to go before you're all done with a story that's been six years in the telling. How about you take the first of those hours and throw out all the rules you've established for the season as far as storytelling techniques go.

Skip all the main characters of the series, we don't need to see them. Instead, tell your story with only three main characters -- and one peripheral, but important, one.

I'm not sure why that is so bothersome. The Richard episode this year was excellent, and this was in the same vein. And it was pretty effective as far as origin stories go, except for some poor child acting. There are still 3.5 hours left. That's a lot of time to finish the story properly with some good setup from this episode.

The Skeletons are the Man in Black and an unknown, or yet to be seen, woman.

I have a feeling the form we have seen MiB (Titus Welliver) is not actually the true MiB. He has just taken that body, just like he has taken John Locke. The actual MiB is some sort of demon or monster or whatnot that has taken the form of Titus Welliver and other dead people.

Well, you were half right! Glad to see some resolution there, although I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. My personal biggest mystery left, my "pet mystery" if you will, is what the heck was that box that Ben retrieved from the air ducts in the hotel room in Season 5's episode "The Lie".

So...Just what is the MIB's name?

I'm not sure it matters, but it's certainly interesting the lengths they've gone to to not give him a name.

Glad the skeletons are revealed... though did we really need that flashback from season 1?

I agree. The flashbacks felt like they were tacked on for people that haven't seen previous episodes.

I thought it was a good episode. Sibling rivalry, Matricide, we see Jacob taking on his role reluctantly, We see the donkey wheel being built (although why wasn't it frozen?), Jacob "Can't lie", We see "Mother" killing a whole village to protect the island while we thought that it was "Brother" who did all the killing in the family, we see the wine bottle and knife again. Good stuff.

Found it interesting that "Mother" recided the same line as MIB from "The Incident" - "They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt. It always ends the same" This raises new questions for me about the nature of MIB and Jacob's relationship. Jacob isn't just protecting the island, he's trying to prove both MIB and his Mother wrong about the nature of people. MIB accept his mother's assertion, but still wants to leave the island and live in the outside world.

Time to lay down the law on this one....

The Child Actors: I thought that they did great. They weren't given Shakespearean quality dialog and if they were people would complain that they couldn't handle it. Plus, young Jacob is actually Matt Damon from the past.

The Time Period 23A.D.: Let me tie this with the one above before I go on. Someone complained that characters are not supposed to announce what they already know to another character: I didn't really get that because in my head I realized that this is all that these kids (including Alison Janney) know. They know of nothing else and what is important to them is really magnified tenfold because of this. So taking that into account all of the stuff about the magical properties of the Island (that Janney told MIB/Jacob) and character motivations may be spoken because they're living amongst two other people who I am sure they would speak with about anything. There wasn't a Political Thread on a message board to hang out in to kill time before threading.

I really felt that both incarnations of Jacob/MIB handled this very well. In fact, Mark Pellegrino & Titus Welliver both showed different emotions than we've seen them do in the past because things were different then.

An Episode About Very Basic Symbolism: Was Alison Janney playing Mother Nature? We get the light & dark and sometimes it feels like we're hit over the head with it, but I think this is kind of deliberate because this is a very visual story and last night felt like an old oral (sorry my mind went somewhere else for a second...Dr. Phil is my constant) traditional tale told by early people. Cripes even baby MIB had a dark baby wrap. Speaking of which dark baby wraps are delish. But who were the people? Were they just symbolic of early civilization? I think so. Better yet who killed them? Maybe their innate evil nature did it? Or Alison Janney got drunk on some wine and did it? But I think that they were symbolic of early civilization to prove a point to Jacob & MIB that they can be brutal. But after 6 years of Lost, who hasn't been brutal? You know I've been thinking about the Series Finale and the controversy that may come out of it. Here's why...

May 24th: The Mourning After:

I have a weird feeling where they are going with the finale from a few spoiler threads. I read about someone being descended into a "red light" and what I presume to be a sacrifice. The assumption that I make now after seeing last night is that someone is brought down to the place where MIB was dropped off at to correct what Jacob had done. He "released evil". But really like I said before after watching Lost's world for 6 years who hasn't been evil at one point? Did evil exist before a cloud of black smoke is released onto an Island and can't leave there? Yes, a woman killed a pregnant woman who just gave birth to twins, a group of men kill a boar, a town get burned down to the ground and everyone dies and this all happens before the cloud of black smoke appears before our eyes created seemingly from sending a dead man down a magic river to a bright light. Out of the light came the darkness. Ah, good ole' duality.

Now is Jacob going to believe that what happens after he has created the Smoke Monster is purely because of the Smoke Monster's existence a la : EVIL? All because his mother told him so? (see where I'm going?) What I think might happen is the questioning of one's faith by being what we are told for centuries. And who could Jacob ask for another perspective? For awhile no one.

I think that with the finale "The Evil" will be extinguished, but it already existed. And with that line of thinking comes a little bit of controversy if you really think about it.

We Don't Need Another Flashback. We Don't Need To Know The Way Home: Seriously, I think the season 1 flashback may be from ABC breathing down Damon/Carlton's necks to include it for people hopping on for the experience. I let it go because I enjoyed everything else and sometimes you need to think in those terms. You should read the EW issue on Lost. It has a lot of interesting info about what ABC wanted instead of what Lost actually came to be known.

Speaking In Tongues: I also saw people complain about Janney and Claudia speaking a foreign dialect and then going to English. My presumption was that maybe they wanted to show them speaking in their native tongue then they just switched to English to make it easier. Well, Richard spoke in his native tongue why not these people? Going back to the oral (stay focused) tradition feel of this episode, I would presume that the one telling the story was in fact English or American. The storytellers told their story this way to clearly communicate what they wanted to communicate.

Where The Brothers Have No Name?: Still no name for MIB. Well, I believe once they do name him people will complain about that too. I'm surprised so many people were upset with this episode. I don't (and have stated various times) expect them to explain everything. I expect to get more questions too.

The Proposition: Well, since I'm feeling like a nice guy today I'm going to treat everyone to $10 tickets on JetBlue to go to Los Angeles and we can write our own t.v. show and see how easy it really is. :ninja

I missed watching the show last night. I think that is only the second episode I have ever missed watching. It's a good thing it is online. I can see why people would not like it, but I think it is alright.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I just flat out don't really like the Jacob/MIB stuff. For years, we watched the Losties try to go home, battle the Others, push a button, get home, come back, travel in time, join the Others, and so on. And now all of that seemingly meant nothing, because it's all about Jacob/MIB. And, yes, the Losties are clearly going to become important in the Jacob/MIB story - they already have as one of them is now the MIB. But what the fuck was the point of watching an entire season about them pushing a button? What did that have to do with anything?

For the record, Season 2 is by far my favorite.

I just flat out don't really like the Jacob/MIB stuff. For years, we watched the Losties try to go home, battle the Others, push a button, get home, come back, travel in time, join the Others, and so on. And now all of that seemingly meant nothing, because it's all about Jacob/MIB. And, yes, the Losties are clearly going to become important in the Jacob/MIB story - they already have as one of them is now the MIB. But what the fuck was the point of watching an entire season about them pushing a button? What did that have to do with anything?

For the record, Season 2 is by far my favorite.

I think you really answered your own question within your own question.

What if you knew that there was a Jacob/MIB (Free Will/Destiny)? Would you feel that your life was pointless because you weren't pulling the strings? What if the strings that were pulled led you to the woman that you love and you weren't given a bad hand after all?

I think you should think of Jacob/MIB as the physical embodiments of Free Will & Destiny. (yes, they are characters now, but they've been with the show since Season 1 second 1. Now we have a face and a name...well at least one.)

Your feelings about the show mirrors some of the characters right about now which is pretty meta and deliberate thanks to the creators of the show. :thumbup

Well, that was testing faith and the belief that if the button wasn't pushed the world would cease to exist. Like I posted in my previous post: a lot of what has been told in the Lost world has and always should be questioned. Mother to Jacob/MIB, the rules of the button to Desmond, Locke, Eko etc. And even more interesting is the fact that all of the above were closed off to the outside world and wouldn't know any different. Think about that.

I think there’s a fair amount of truth behind the charge that a good deal of what occurred in the first few seasons had little to do with where the show is now headed – all those red herrings that have gone and will mostl likely go unanswered. Maybe this has already been addressed in a previous season/episode, but what the hell was the point of bringing Locke’s “father” to the island using Ben’s special box, to have Sawyer kill him – why? What the hell does or did that have to do with anything? I can understand that the writers were attempting to create an elaborate mythos surrounding the show’s story, but they were really pretty sloppy at times, and I think some of that sloppiness will and/or has come back to haunt them in the end.

With that said, I think that the origins of that golden glowing watery stuff will be found within Marcellus Wallace’s brief case.

My neighbor and I were talking about Lost last night before the episode aired. He had a feeling that it would end with Jack being the "new Jacob" and maybe Sawyer ending up in a similar undead state as the MIB.

After last night, I don't see any of this happening at all. I think it'll have more to do with redemption (of all characters, including the MIB) and less about maintaining the status quo. I don't know how it's going to end, but I sure now it's not like he suggested.

Maybe this has already been addressed in a previous season/episode, but what the hell was the point of bringing Locke’s “father” to the island using Ben’s special box, to have Sawyer kill him – why? What the hell does or did that have to do with anything?

Really?! That didn't seem to foreshadow a little scene that we saw in a certain Season 5 Season Finale final scene?

I think we need to focus more on the actions and motivations of the characters rather than the mysitcal "box".

What type of man kills a man who killed who his parents in cold blood? It helped solidify the Sawyer character and lent him some closure. I don't think he could play house with Juliet in Dharmaville if he wasn't given the chance of closing the book on killing this man. He had to get it out of his system. This was integral to the story of Sawyer.

What type of man lets one man kill someone who wronged both of them and watches it before his eyes? This helped foreshadow the single instance where MIB probably said "this is my man right here. this guy is perfect for my scheme." This helped say a lot about Locke. Did he let this happen because he was pissed about Cooper and not being with Helen?

MiB could retain his former shape/appearance because his body remained intact on the island.

When he asumed Christian's shape did he lose the ability to assume another form?

How did he assume the appearance of "Dave" (Hurley's imaginary friend who the writers have said was MiB)?