• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought she still looked hot.

Agreed, she looks like she needs some jungle lovin' ;)

GASP!: The sheet music in David Shepard's room, that he was also playing in his audition, was for Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu" which was the piece young Daniel Faraday was playing in a fifth season flashback.

The MIB aka Smokey was assumed to be imprisoned in the cabin. The breaking of the ash ring freed him (presumably by Locke). Right?

But the smoke monster was all over the island in the first five seasons. But Rosseau's crew was 'infected' (we now see that as being claimed) in 1987 and infected IN THE TEMPLE.

Is it possible that there are multiple entities at play here (meaning the Avatar of Locke is not one being, but multiple entities?) I'm not really sure about this as to its plausibility.

And why did Claire not see MIB as Locke? I can't really believe that Sawyer would buy into this no matter how bereaved he is. He sacrificed himself (so to speak) by jumping off the helicopter. He sacrificed his place with the others to save Ben. He got off the freaking sub to stop Jack but ended up helping him. Sawyer is not at heart evil. He may hate Jack now, but Sawyer is the prime example of free will in action. Jack talks of destiny, but only recently. This destiny stuff hasn't worked out very well either.

"They come, they destroy, they corrupt. It always ends the same"

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."

It has happened before and is happening again. That much is clear. The problem is just exactly WHAT is happening?

Ah hell...this stuff makes my head hurt.

And why did Claire not see MIB as Locke? I can't really believe that Sawyer would buy into this no matter how bereaved he is. He sacrificed himself (so to speak) by jumping off the helicopter. He sacrificed his place with the others to save Ben. He got off the freaking sub to stop Jack but ended up helping him. Sawyer is not at heart evil. He may hate Jack now, but Sawyer is the prime example of free will in action. Jack talks of destiny, but only recently. This destiny stuff hasn't worked out very well either.

I think maybe being infected means she can see him for who he is.

I also think that Sawyer knows exactly what he is doing. This Sawyer/MIB thing is going to come down to who is the better con man. I don't believe for a second that Sawyer thinks MIB is his ticket off the island. What does make me sad is the implication that Hurley & Sawyer are coming down on opposite sides of this whole thing.

And what about Miles? Stuck back at the temple? I really want to see more of him, I hope he's not going to be a sacrifice that the island demands anytime soon...

The opening shot of the episode, is of a picture of Jack and his dad. There is a girl with Jack.. do we know who it is?

It looks like a younger version of his mother. I zoomed in on that picture and closest I could come up with.

No one has really mentioned the significance/importance of Jack's appendectomy scar in the ALT TIMELINE. (to be honest I had to read several writings to clarify one thing which is the following ?)

When did Jack have his appendectomy? It was on the Island, right?

How/Why would Jack not know this? His mother tells him that he was 9 years old when he had it done in the ALT TIMELINE. But it looks like Jack just notices the scar in the mirror in a "when did that get there" type of way. Any sane 9 year old would remember such an invasive surgery, right? So it's almost like Jack's memories are being suppressed or changing due to the Island Timeline. Almost like whatever happened before LAX (episode) in the ALT TIMELINE didn't happen and there's holes in such memories. Really, it's like he's 2nd guessing himself to ask his mother. Almost like he has an Island memory of what happened which would seem crazy to ALT Jack.

I agree with roolz-y, that looked like a picture of Jack & his parents.

The appendix scar was odd to me too. It's an indication that this alt timeline has roots far deeper than just the 815 flight. Jacob didn't "touch" Jack until he was an adult, but on island time, we know that he had his appendix when the plane crashed.

My head hurts. I'm ready to just throw in the towel on any kind of theorizing and just sit back and let the writers tell me what they're gonna tell me. :lol

When did Jack have his appendectomy? It was on the Island, right?

Yup. Juliet took out his appendix around the time the freighter folks showed up.

I don't think she time traveled. The guy she captured seemed to refer to the fact that they've been dealing with her in the past three years and she refereed to Jin as "leaving".

So I'm sitting here watching my A Serious Man DVD's bonus features and one of these special features is on Jewish words.

And the word Lamed Vavnik pops up and I read the definition and nearly shit myself....

"The thirty six just men on whom the existence of the world depends, according to Jewish lore."

So I immediately went onto wikipedia for more info to see if this tied into some Lost lore.

"Origins

The source is the Talmud itself, explained as follows:

As a mystical concept, the number 36 is even more intriguing. It is said that at all times there are 36 special people in the world, and that were it not for them, all of them, if even one of them was missing, the world would come to an end. The two Hebrew letters for 36 are the lamed, which is 30, and the vav, which is six. Therefore, these 36 are referred to as the Lamed-Vav Tzadikim. This widely-held belief, this most unusual Jewish concept is based on a Talmudic statement to the effect that in every generation 36 righteous "greet the Shechinah," the Divine Presence.

Their Purpose

Mystical Hasidic Judaism as well as other segments of Judaism believe that there is the Jewish tradition of 36 righteous people whose role in life is to justify the purpose of mankind in the eyes of God. Tradition holds that their identities are unknown to each other and that, if one of them comes to a realization of his true purpose then he may die and his role is immediately assumed by another person:

The Lamed-Vav Tzaddikim are also called the Nistarim ("concealed ones"). In our folk tales, they emerge from their self-imposed concealment and, by the mystic powers, which they possess, they succeed in averting the threatened disasters of a people persecuted by the enemies that surround them. They return to their anonymity as soon as their task is accomplished, 'concealing' themselves once again in a Jewish community wherein they are relatively unknown. The lamed-vavniks, scattered as they are throughout the Diaspora, have no acquaintance with one another. On very rare occasions, one of them is 'discovered' by accident, in which case the secret of their identity must not be disclosed. The lamed-vavniks do not themselves know that they are ones of the 36. In fact, tradition has it that should a person claim to be one of the 36, that is proof positive that he is certainly not one. Since the 36 are each exemplars of anavah, ("humility"), having such a virtue would preclude against one’s self-proclamation of being among the special righteous. The 36 are simply too humble to believe that they are one of the 36.

Lamedvavniks

Lamedvavnik is the Yiddish term for one of the 36 humble righteous ones or Tzadikim mentioned in kabbalah or Jewish mysticism. According to this teaching, at any given time there are at least 36 holy Jews in the world who are Tzadikim. These holy people are hidden; i.e., nobody knows who they are. According to some versions of the story, they themselves may not know who they are. For the sake of these 36 hidden saints, God preserves the world even if the rest of humanity has degenerated to the level of total barbarism. This is similar to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the Hebrew Bible, where God told Abraham that he would spare the city of Sodom if there was a quorum of at least 10 righteous men. Since nobody knows who the Lamedvavniks are, not even themselves, every Jew should act as if he or she might be one of them; i.e., lead a holy and humble life and pray for the sake of fellow human beings. It is also said that one of these 36 could potentially be the Jewish Messiah if the world is ready for him to reveal himself. Otherwise, he lives and dies as an ordinary person. Whether he himself knows he is the potential Messiah is debated.

The term lamedvavnik is derived from the Hebrew letters Lamed (L) and Vav (V), whose numerical value adds up to 36. The "nik" at the end is a Russian or Yiddish suffix indicating "a person who..." (In English, this would be something like calling them "The Thirty-Sixers".) The number 36 is twice 18. In gematria (a form of Jewish numerology), the number 18 stands for "life", because the Hebrew letters that spell chai, meaning "living", add up to 18. Because 36 = 2×18, it represents "two lives".

In some Hasidic stories, disciples consider their Rebbes and other religious figures to be among the Lamedvavniks. It is also possible for a Lamedvavnik to reveal himself as such, although that rarely happens—a Lamedvavnik's status as an exemplar of humility would preclude it. More often, it is the disciples who speculate.

These beliefs are articulated in the works of Max Brod, and some (like Jorge Luis Borges) believe the concept to have originated in the Book of Genesis 18:

And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

And why did Claire not see MIB as Locke?

Yeah, I bet this will be answered the next time they show claire. Why "Friend" and not "Locke"? Does she see him as someone else or has he just showed her his true nature, kind of like Sawyer can see? Or is she just crazy?

And what about Miles? Stuck back at the temple? I really want to see more of him, I hope he's not going to be a sacrifice that the island demands anytime soon...

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Miles to have a purpose in this whole thing. They keep stringing him along but not doing anything. They have to be saving him for something.

It looks like a younger version of his mother. I zoomed in on that picture and closest I could come up with.

The first thing my wife said was "That's a horrible photoshop job"

What about Claire's "brand"? What the heck has been going on with her for the past 3 years? Did she travel through time with the others? Or was she seemingly unstuck in time like the temple folks?

No, she didn't time travel at all from when Ben turned the wheel until "now" which is 3 years later, island time. I think the Temple Others got her with the hot poker like they did Sayid. But shy didn't they kill her?

Anyone see these spoilers:

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-to-lost-revealed-in-picture-form.html

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/02/latest-spoilers-from-e-online-about.html

I'm thinking it's "Cork" But what is the island keeping in? MiB? Energy that can destroy the world (like was said at the Swan Station/hatch)?

Guest Runaway Jim

And why did Claire not see MIB as Locke?

Because Claire was already familiar with MIB when he was walking around in Christian's body. At least that's what I think.

Or because she's already been "claimed".

Because Claire was already familiar with MIB when he was walking around in Christian's body. At least that's what I think.

She seemed to separate the idea of her dad and her friend.

I'm not yet convinced that it was ol' smokie walking around the island in Christian's body... I think because she's been claimed, when Claire looks at MIB she is seeing him as he "used" to be, on that beach with Jacob all those years ago.

I'm not yet convinced that it was ol' smokie walking around the island in Christian's body... I think because she's been claimed, when Claire looks at MIB she is seeing him as he "used" to be, on that beach with Jacob all those years ago.

That's my take too.

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm not yet convinced that it was ol' smokie walking around the island in Christian's body...

I'm pretty convinced of it, even though it's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

I'm pretty convinced of it, even though it's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

Yeah, that's my theory too. If Christian isn't MiB, that would be major reveal. He's just been too instrumental in setting everything up. Leading Claire away from Aron, sending the island through time, sending John off the island, etc. I assume that he appeared to her as Christian at first to gain her trust, then introduced her to his true self, so she sees him as he is, not as everyone else sees him (as Locke). But is she really "claimed"? If so, how? Did she die and go into the water too? But wouldn't it have been clear before? Didn't the temple others know that if the water wasn't clear the healing wouldn't have worked right? Then why did they do it? Wouldn't Jacob have known that he couldn't save/heal Sayid if he was dead and the water wasn't clear anymore? also, I assume most of the visits to Jacob's cabin, the characters were actually interacting with the MiB. When did he take over the cabin? Ilana said that it looked like Jacob hadn't been there in a long time (He went back to the foot of the statue.) Did he go there because he knew the end game was coming? Did he release MiB from the circle of ash?

Now my head hurts. I think this will mostly all get cleared up on Tuesday.

the episode is supposed to center on

Sayid

Guest Runaway Jim

The main reason I believe that Christian was MIB was that Christian told Locke that he'd have to die. In the early stages of Season 5, we were led to believe that Locke had to die so he would be in a coffin and help better recreate the circumstances on the original flight 815. But really, Locke had to die so MIB could use him as his avatar.

Of course, we know that MIB is not actually using Locke's body, but rather an image of Locke's body. So that would suggest that Christian's body is somewhere on the island too, which we've never seen any evidence of. However, I find it interesting that Christian's body is "missing" in the alt timeline, just as it is in the island timeline. Perhaps an intentional parallel?

I also believe that Jacob's cabin wasn't actually Jacob's cabin, at least not when Ben took Locke there. We saw both the ash surrounding the house, as well as Christian inside.

But is she really "claimed"? If so, how? Did she die and go into the water too?

I still believe that Claire died when the mercenaries from the freighter blew up her house. Did she go to the spring? I don't know, but because her house blew up and because of the strange way Miles interacted with her right after the house blew up, I think she's some kind of undead or something, not unlike her dad.

Looking forward to the next epi too!!

Guest Runaway Jim

I still believe that Claire died when the mercenaries from the freighter blew up her house. Did she go to the spring? I don't know, but because her house blew up and because of the strange way Miles interacted with her right after the house blew up, I think she's some kind of undead or something, not unlike her dad.

I wouldn't rule that out either. That was definitely what I originally thought.