What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

oh, jeez, would they just please release another record so we can put this one into perspective? please?

With the things work around here, the next album will push SBS into classic status and move W(TA) to very good status.

Folks are fickle and judemental.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old are you? I always wonder when people talk about the Beach Boys and Beatles being part of one's youth.

LouieB

Well let's see I remember the first space shots. I remember watching Howdy Doody. I remember the death of Pope Pius XII. I remember where I was when JFK was shot. I remember watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. I passed out handbills when the Beatles came to my city. That was the time of my youth. How about you?

With the things work around here, the next album will push SBS into classic status and move W(TA) to very good status.

Folks are fickle and judemental.

I think you're probably right. I listened to SBS and W(TA) back-to-back the other day, and SBS definitely came across as a weightier and more impressive listen. This was totally contrary to my first impressions.

I think W(TA) is really great. I like it way more than SBS, which is far too pedestrian and dad rock for my comfort. There is something lighter and more fun about W(TA) and I like that. I've always said that wilco is at their best when they have some teeth to their music. SBS was just so weather channel on the 8's. Not that that SBS doesn't have songs, they're just not memorable.

I think you're probably right. I listened to SBS and W(TA) back-to-back the other day, and SBS definitely came across as a weightier and more impressive listen. This was totally contrary to my first impressions.

But this is suggesting that W(TA) will be thought of as a greater Wilco record in the future. It MAY sound a little better in the future, but the thing that I think it lacks....cohesiveness...won't ever improve. Sky Blue Sky sounds better to me because most of it sounds really beautiful and fits well together (I still think Shake it Off, ruins the record..."One True Vine" should have been on this record...it's so beautiful).

I struggle liking W(TA), I think, because I can't get a feel for what the album is. It sounds like a Wilco greatest hits album, yet most of the "hits" are lesser versions of the true hits they've already done. I do agree with another here that the first half is much better than the second half. I'd say the first half of W(TA) is great. The 2nd half is mediocre at best.

All these months later, I still don't like the record very much. "One Wing" ranks with the best tracks in the Wilco catalog, but it can't save the album as a whole, which is otherwise littered with decent but not very good songs.

And I still don't have a clue as to why everyone seems to love "Bull Black Nova." Tuneless, repetitive, and dull.

I by far prefer SBS.

Guest Speed Racer

It MAY sound a little better in the future, but the thing that I think it lacks....cohesiveness...won't ever improve.

I'm wondering how many 'evers' I said about SBS that I now take back - or AGIB, or any other Wilco record, for that matter.

I think the album is very cohesive, myself, just way too short for a Wilco record. Like the discs of Being There, it really is fleeting. Obviously, if you think some songs are lackluster and like others, you won't find cohesiveness in a record. I used to think AGIB got stuck in the mud during Wishful Thinking (a song I didn't ever think I'd like), but now that I've come around to the song the whole album flows perfectly to me.

I don't mind Shake it Off, but I'd like it a lot better if it didn't have that stupid organ riff.

Well let's see I remember the first space shots. I remember watching Howdy Doody. I remember the death of Pope Pius XII. I remember where I was when JFK was shot. I remember watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. I passed out handbills when the Beatles came to my city. That was the time of my youth. How about you?

You may be older than I am then, but maybe not. I am 59. I remember all those things as well. Few people actually were around for that, even those closer to my age. (What city did you live in when the Beatles came?)

LouieB

Pitchfork's year-end lists are going up this week. 100-51 of their Top Tracks of 2009 is up; if Julian Casablancas made the list and Wilco doesn't, I'm finally cancelling my subscription.

Is the web-zine equivalent of cancelling a subscription deleting a bookmark / favorite? ;)

Guest Speed Racer

Is the web-zine equivalent of cancelling a subscription deleting a bookmark / favorite? ;)

Probably. I might print out a screen shot and walk it over to the shredder, just for that feeling of closure.

You may be older than I am then, but maybe not. I am 59. I remember all those things as well. Few people actually were around for that, even those closer to my age. (What city did you live in when the Beatles came?)

LouieB

We're old farts.

1966 Boston, Suffolk Downs

Popmatters.com ranked W(TA) #24 in their "60 Best Albums of 2009" list:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/117680-best-60-albums-of-2009/P3/

They've got Buddy and Julie Miller's - Written in Chalk at #27 which I absolutely loved. I'm hoping to catch Buddy soon now that he's recovered from triple bypass.

Guest Runaway Jim

All these months later, I still don't like the record very much. "One Wing" ranks with the best tracks in the Wilco catalog, but it can't save the album as a whole, which is otherwise littered with decent but not very good songs.

That's essentially word-for-word what I've been saying about W(ta) since I first heard it June.

I want to like it, but I don't.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

That's essentially word-for-word what I've been saying about W(ta) since I first heard it June.

I want to like it, but I don't.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

I also agree, except substitute "bull black nova" for "one wing" and I am nervous about the next one.

i ate a pot brownie and listened to it the other night. i absolutely love it now. i dont think theres a song that i dont like on it. its EPIQ

Pass them out to everyone okay???

Hey everyone, don't worry, Wilco is going back to the studio shortly and producing a kick ass country/southern soul album like no other....

LouieB

i ate a pot brownie and listened to it the other night. i absolutely love it now. i dont think theres a song that i dont like on it. its EPIQ

Ah, so maybe that's what I need to like WTA..

Last time I ate one of those, I didn't realize how much was in it and ended up starring in the mirror for an hour... :omg

Last time I ate one of those, I didn't realize how much was in it and ended up starring in the mirror for an hour... :omg

Last time I ate one of those, I the didn't mirror how realize in was ended and much an up in it hour for starring.

I listened to it yesterday and I listened to American Central Dust also.

It is hard to imagine that Jeff and Jay were once so intertwined personally and professionally.