What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

But this is suggesting that W(TA) will be thought of as a greater Wilco record in the future. It MAY sound a little better in the future, but the thing that I think it lacks....cohesiveness...won't ever improve.

I'd say the first half of W(TA) is great. The 2nd half is mediocre at best.

But that's exactly my point. After the initial euphoria associated with hearing SBS, I concluded that the first half was great and the second half was well, mediocre at best. Over time, for a number of reasons, mainly I think, hearing great live versions of the initially-assessed mediocre songs, I grew to like the second half a lot more.

As a result, for me, and just for now, SBS is a more cohesive album than W(TA). However, I am fully prepared to accept that W(TA) may achieve the same feat in the future. Of course, that's just my opinion and it may not work for you in the same way, but that's the whole point - how it's thought of is our personal property.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to THE ALBUM lately and enjoying it quite a bit. I might prefer the second half. It all sounds good to me, though I keep asking myself at the end of "One Wing" why they resolve on that chord. Seems, I don't know, almost like a stinger note, which is...tacky?

I've been listening to THE ALBUM lately and enjoying it quite a bit. I might prefer the second half. It all sounds good to me, though I keep asking myself at the end of "One Wing" why they resolve on that chord. Seems, I don't know, almost like a stinger note, which is...tacky?

Tacky?

Stinger Note? Do you like the song or not? That should be your most important concern.

Remember Forget the Flower? Heavy Metal Drummer? Nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain?

They have done the 'hard ending' (it's late and I can't remember the correct musical expression) to great effect since the begining.

Enjoy the music if you're so inclined. Don't worry about the minutae.

Tacky?

Stinger Note? Do you like the song or not? That should be your most important concern.

Remember Forget the Flower? Heavy Metal Drummer? Nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain?

They have done the 'hard ending' (it's late and I can't remember the correct musical expression) to great effect since the begining.

Enjoy the music if you're so inclined. Don't worry about the minutae.

I like the song. I don't think I like the chord it ends on, it seems out of place with the rest of the song.

I like the song. I don't think I like the chord it ends on, it seems out of place with the rest of the song.

Geez, now I have to dig it out and see what you are talking about. I happen to love song minutae.

How is the climax/resolution of a song minutae?

It's the ending, not the climax.

Pitchfork's year-end lists are going up this week. 100-51 of their Top Tracks of 2009 is up; if Julian Casablancas made the list and Wilco doesn't, I'm finally cancelling my subscription.

Fraid you might have to cancel. WTA was shut out of their songs and albums list.

--Mike

So, the consensus is there is no consensus.

Yes. This thread had as much chance of attaining its goals as Woodrow Wilson did at Versailles.

Song minutiae matters if it matters to you. Why put someone down for caring about it?

behave stew

Behave? What? Fuck you for the millionth time Crow.

You really remind me of my favorite uncle who would go from smiling and laughing to DEFCON 1 with the gentlest of teasing.

Proportionality dude.

So you weren't seriously telling me to behave?

I guess it's your avatar that tricks me - I always hear that dude, who has no sense of humor, saying all your words.

That's the way it should be.

I picture you talking to a large, invisible rabbit or snogging with Grace Kelly (lucky bastard).