What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curiosity?

This album lacks a very urgent sense of curiosity......there is nothing for me to go back to and WANT to explore it further.....that is my feeling right now.......

And such talented musicians (Kotche,Cline and Stirrat) used to virtually zero effect......what a waste.

-Robert

At first, I listened to W(TA) incessantly. iTunes tells me I've listened to it about 50 times.

I was very impressed with it at first, initially thinking it was my second favorite Wilco album after Summerteeth. However, it doesn't seem to have had staying power with me. I find it difficult to remember individual songs. More likely, my initial euphoric reaction to it was because I think it's better than Sky Blue Sky, which I considered a disappointment.

So, after some time now, I have to say it's a very good album, but not great.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, except I think SBS is way better. Every Wilco record before WTA, I pretty much got obsessed with and they never left my CD player. This one, I only listen to ocassionally.. I think it's a decent album, but it's probably my least favorite..

As Louie B pointed out in some thread on the Tongue Tied board not every album every band puts out has to be a masterpiece. Wilco might be at a stage in their career where their no longer going to make albums I consider masterpieces, but a lot of people still like them, and they certainly haven't turned into disco-era Rod Stewart or anything. Still seeing what I perceive to be a creative decline over the last couple of records hasn't exactly been fun, but at the end of the day I'll just put on A Ghost is Born and pretend the last two Califone records were the follow ups to it.

--Mike

Or worse yet, they haven't resorted to doing an album of standards, although actually I would love a Wilco covers album....

LouieB

I was very underwhelmed the first time I had listened to this. I think some people were overtly excited when they heard Jeff talk about using the studio more this time...only to find out it just meant they overdubbed a few things here and there. I kept seeing everybody posting 'best album' or rating it very highly and I was just...what? Are we listening to the same album. I like the album okay now. It's not as 'important' as their others, but I don't think it ever tried to be. My biggest issues are some of the lyrics/aspects of the production.

I hate the line 'Wilco will love you baby.' Just hits me the wrong way...like the band is ready to give you a good, solid gang bang. No thanks.

I think One Wing end a little too short. I think they should have rocked it out more at the end. Nonetheless, I still love the song and rank it as one of their finest.

You Never Knowwith it's 'Come on children...' line. Don't like it but I think the song is very catchy.

Country Disappeared has some of the greatest lyrics Jeff has ever written set to some of the most low key, boring instrumentation I've ever heard. I know opinion is split on this song so it's probably a grower I just haven't 'gotten' yet.

My biggest problem with any song would have to be Everlasting. The lyrics are a little weak at times but Glenn's drumming, especially when Jeff sings 'Every wave...' and the drums actually sound like waves crashing, is very cool. I also like the beautiful guitar solos Nels added toward the end of the song. But the chorus...those harmonies and bells just make it sound so corny. I'm sorry, but it sounds a little too dramatic.

I wouldn't rank this very high compared to their other work. Somewhere after Yankee, Summerteeth, Being There, and Ghost. In fact, I'd put it right next to Sky Blue Sky (which I do like), right above A.M. (which I also like).

Love:

Wilco (The Song)

One Wing

Bull Black Nova

Sonny Feeling

Skip over:

Deeper Down

Country Disappeared

I think it's kind of dull, but it's enjoyable to listen to once in a while. If I live another 50 years, my lifetime total number of spins for this record will probably be less than 100.

I find WTA to be their weakest effort so far. I've played it the whole way through about 12 times and nothing sticks, aside from bull black nova. I may be in the minority on this, but personally I think SBS is a much better record.

I find WTA to be their weakest effort so far. I've played it the whole way through about 12 times and nothing sticks, aside from bull black nova. I may be in the minority on this, but personally I think SBS is a much better record.

Pretty much the same for me, except "Country Disappeared" instead of "BBN." And, dare I say it, I still can't listen to that duet with Feist.

It's OK - good when my estrogen levels are high.

This album lacks a very urgent sense of curiosity......there is nothing for me to go back to and WANT to explore it further.....that is my feeling right now.......

And such talented musicians (Kotche,Cline and Stirrat) used to virtually zero effect......what a waste.

-Robert

I think Stirrat gives the album any soul that it might elude to. Kotche does what good drummers should, provide percussion without getting in the way. Cline, well you can take him or ... take him.

EDIT: By the way I really like the album. I didn't expect to like it at all given SBS and Cline. It was a pleasant surprise. I personally only "identify" with Solitaire.

I think it's a mixed bag overall. I tend to skip over quite a few tracks. As someone else pointed out, Deeper Down-One Wing-Bull Black Nova is a fantastic sequence. I really like I'll Fight a lot too.

This album has the worst lyrics of any Wilco album. Wilco The Song should have been an extra/b-side. You and I is extremely bland, You Never Know has some truly cringeworthy lyrics, aside from the George Harrison-Steve Naive rip off. Country Disappered is emminently forgettable. Everlasting Everything is probably the worst song they're ever commited to record. I'd even pick Walken over it.

I still play it a lot though as I've only had it about a month after waiting ages to get it on vinyl.

Saw them last night in Dublin and they're still one of the best live acts around. The last two albums have contained some of their worst material. Maybe they've peaked and this is the fare for the future.

Wilco (the song) would have been a good extra in the same vein as Thanks I Get with SBS.

I agree on Wilco (the song) -- just doesn't seem to fit to me.

Album is okay as far as Wilco goes -- which makes it better than 95% of other records out there. Outside of a few songs it just doesn't beg me to listen to it over and over.

Country Disappeared/One Wing/Deeper Down are my faves.

You Never Know = my least favorite Wilco song. Seeing it live didn't help -- actually it made me hate it more.