What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W(TA) is a nice record, nothing more. I so badly wish Tweedy and the crew would make an album that sounded like Wilcobook or some of the Loose Fur tracks. Many of those songs just sound so freaking ballsy and creative. They're capable of making another bold record, I'm just not sure if they really want to.

I feel like Tweedy could spit out a Loose Fur album in an hour. I heard Solitaire and Deeper Down solo in February and knew this was much more.

Tweedy has said in nearly every interview that Wilco made an album they were happy with and excited about. Isn't that the point?

:yes

As long as Wilco continues to follow their muse and do what THEY want, I know I have no business complaining.

I feel like Tweedy could spit out a Loose Fur album in an hour.

Then I guess I prefer Tweedy when he just "spits them out".

Sorry, but W(TA) couldn't hold the jock of Tweedy's Loose Fur songs:

Hey Chicken

Laminated Cat

You Were Wrong

Wanted

The Rulling Class

An Ecunomical Matter

Wreckroom

Chinese Apple

Then I guess I prefer Tweedy when he just "spits them out".

Sorry, but W(TA) couldn't hold the jock of Tweedy's Loose Fur songs:

Hey Chicken

Laminated Cat

You Were Wrong

Wanted

The Rulling Class

An Ecunomical Matter

Wreckroom

Chinese Apple

I would take Deeper Down, One Wing, Bull Black Nova, Country Disappeared, Sonny Feeling, Everlasting Everything over more than half of those.

Overall, months later, I've gone from initially being completely unimpressed with the album-- to liking the album somewhat-- to not ever listening to the album. I am hoping they'll release some live material so I can hear the music live again. I think that will perhaps garner more enthusiasm for the particular songs I do like. I would love a good clear quality version of You and I, sans Feist. I never ever got into Su(o)nny feeling.

Overall this album is just not strong in my opinion. After a hundred plus listens, it feels simplistic and repetitive and, at times, annoying. I've got the Vinyl that I'll spin from time to time, but I doubt it'll stay in my playlists. I'm hoping they do some more Loose Fur, Autumn Defense, and various side project material to get away from Wilco for a while and get the creative juices flowing a little more.

I disagree but respect your opinion on the first 4.

But the last 2 leaves me stupified. Wow.

Sonny Feeling is just a great pop song loaded with great harmonies and puts a smile on my face every time I hear it. Everlasting Everything has great production flourishes with different instruments floating in and out and builds and builds to a wonderfully compelling guitar outro from Nels.

Great songs.

You're stupified that someone likes certain songs more or less than you do?

I think Tweedy's Loose Fur songs are phenomenal....especially Hey Chicken, Laminated Cat and Wreckroom.

I think Sonny Feelling is a shitty song and would rank it in the bottom 2 percent of any Wilco/Tweedy song ever.

So, yeah, I AM stupified that someone could really like a song that I think is crap. But Transformers 2 was pretty terrible, yet has made over 800 million worldwide. We all have different tastes...sometimes WAY different.

It's funny the things fans will find to complain about:

I love Solitaire, but I pray every time it starts that the stupid organ run in the intro has been nixed. Every flippin' time.

I so badly wish Tweedy and the crew would make an album that sounded like Wilcobook or some of the Loose Fur tracks.

The thing is, most of the drums on W(TA) sound like . . . drums.

One Wing is a very good song, but comes up a little short.

If AGIB (jay had a part in composing those but not in recording) and SBS and WTA were their first records, I wouldn't be so critical and bemoaning.

the rhyming of 'sad', and 'glad' on Everlasting was nothing short of unfortunate.

I hate the line 'Wilco will love you baby.' Just hits me the wrong way...like the band is ready to give you a good, solid gang bang. No thanks.

and I still hate the album cover. I'm not into this 'Wilco are fun, don't take us seriously' vibe.

It's funny the things fans will find to complain about:

It IS all silly. And it's a little embarrassing to spout out what I think is wrong with something...as if I know better than the artist.

But isn't that's what these forums are for? Isn't that's what's fun?

It's like seeing a movie by a favorite director, then spending the next week talking with somebody how you liked the movie but wished they did this or didn't do that.

Or watching a football game and screaming at the TV, "why the f*ck are you running on 3rd and 12....pass the ball you dipshits!".

To me, it's very similar to listening to an album. I so badly wanted One Wing to end in an orgasm-inducing musical jam. But it didn't. I wanted to love You Never Know, as it starts of so promising. Then I wonder why the f*ck Jeff has to repeat "I don't care anymore" 50 times. You and I is so damned sweet sounding, but I wish they would have added a little something more to the song. Listening to Jeff on Bull Black Nova is like the excitement of watching my team's return guy streaking down the side-line 80 yards for a touchdown. Go Jeff Go! Then listening to My Country Disappeared or Everlasting Everything is like sitting through the final 30 minutes of Dark Knight, when the Joker was off the screen and I was looking at my watch.

When it comes to criticism I tend to agree with Teddy Roosevelt:

"It's not the critic that counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

Although that's true, I still love to listen to everybody elses opinions on music.

I think Tweedy's Loose Fur songs are phenomenal....especially Hey Chicken, Laminated Cat and Wreckroom.

I think Sonny Feelling is a shitty song and would rank it in the bottom 2 percent of any Wilco/Tweedy song ever.

So, yeah, I AM stupified that someone could really like a song that I think is crap. But Transformers 2 was pretty terrible, yet has made over 800 million worldwide. We all have different tastes...sometimes WAY different.

Well, I'm equally stupefied by you vastly overrating Pieholden Suite. But what difference does it make? We both like Wilco, right? At least, I do.

Basically, Wilco (The Album) is like R.E.M.'s Accelerate; It's not a full return to form, but it's a vast improvement over their previous record.

Although I did like SBS a lot, I agree with you about them releasing sub-par and possibly more pop-oriented material being an okay thing. I can see why they'd want to exploit a wider audience at a time when they're already booming somewhat in popularity. And in the grand scheme of more commercially oriented albums, this wasn't a horrid one.

It's the worst Wilco record so far. There are a handful of really bright moments that drown in a sea of mediocrity. I didn't want them to make another YHF, I just wanted them to keep being progressive. Yeah, they made the album that makes them happy, good for them, I'm sure the Jonas Brothers made albums that made them happy too. Doesn't mean I have to give a shit about it. The nice thing is that I still have a lot of trust in Tweedy and company and I'll keep seeing them live. Hopefully the next album doesn't sound like any sort of Wilco we know, but still kicks ass. That's what they've been best at doing, and it's when they shine the brightest.

It's like seeing a movie by a favorite director, then spending the next week talking with somebody how you liked the movie but wished they did this or didn't do that.

Or watching a football game and screaming at the TV, "why the f*ck are you running on 3rd and 12....pass the ball you dipshits!".

To me, it's very similar to listening to an album. I so badly wanted One Wing to end in an orgasm-inducing musical jam. But it didn't.

I don't know why this song needed an instrumental exclamation point. It's perfect as is. What could be more "orgasmic" than the falsetto and soaring guitar at the end?

I like the conciseness of this record (BBN excepted) -- it's tighter than most Wilco albums, and while that's not an inherently superior approach compared to loose jamming, it's not worse either.

I wanted to love You Never Know, as it starts of so promising. Then I wonder why the f*ck Jeff has to repeat "I don't care anymore" 50 times.

Repetitive phrasing is one of the few criticisms of the album I agree with -- yet that's only a problem on 2 songs ("I'll Fight" being the other), and both of those songs have other redeeming qualities -- lyrics in particular. ("Sonny Feeling," which you eloquently describe as "shitty," has fascinating lyrics as well).

You and I is so damned sweet sounding, but I wish they would have added a little something more to the song. Listening to Jeff on Bull Black Nova is like the excitement of watching my team's return guy streaking down the side-line 80 yards for a touchdown. Go Jeff Go! Then listening to My Country Disappeared or Everlasting Everything is like sitting through the final 30 minutes of Dark Knight, when the Joker was off the screen and I was looking at my watch.

At least you're comparing it to The Dark Knight now instead of Transformers 2. (shudder)

It's the worst Wilco record so far. There are a handful of really bright moments that drown in a sea of mediocrity. I didn't want them to make another YHF, I just wanted them to keep being progressive. Yeah, they made the album that makes them happy, good for them, I'm sure the Jonas Brothers made albums that made them happy too. Doesn't mean I have to give a shit about it. The nice thing is that I still have a lot of trust in Tweedy and company and I'll keep seeing them live. Hopefully the next album doesn't sound like any sort of Wilco we know, but still kicks ass. That's what they've been best at doing, and it's when they shine the brightest.

Well, I think we may have to accept that Wilco may not want to do what we think to be "the best at what they do," and "when they shine brightest." It always comes down to them..but yeah, it would definitely be cool to see them do something different. I do enjoy this album though. I like to think in terms of that three songs that for me stand among the best Wilco songs (Deeper Down, One Wing, Bull Black Nova) will be added to the live repertoire

"Sonny Feeling" is really being underrated here. It's the only song where Jeff really lets rip on guitar, and Nels is phenomenal. I have no fucking clue what the lyrics are about, but I like them. I like that it makes an Eminem reference.

"Sonny Feeling" is really being underrated here. It's the only song where Jeff really lets rip on guitar, and Nels is phenomenal. I have no fucking clue what the lyrics are about, but I like them. I like that it makes an Eminem reference.

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with Einstein's parallel universes theory, and Jeff's glimpse into the world where he got into a car crash playing chicken as a teenager.