What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sonny Feeling" is really being underrated here. It's the only song where Jeff really lets rip on guitar, and Nels is phenomenal. I have no fucking clue what the lyrics are about, but I like them. I like that it makes an Eminem reference.

I really think that's part of the problem. Jeff ripping on guitar? I wish he'd go back to ripping folk guitar instead of trying to be someone he's not.

Oh well. They still rock it hard live.

"Sonny Feeling" is really being underrated here. It's the only song where Jeff really lets rip on guitar, and Nels is phenomenal. I have no fucking clue what the lyrics are about, but I like them. I like that it makes an Eminem reference.

*likes Sonny Feeling

Wilco fans mystify me. Of course I am one, so I guess I don`t have to look too far to feel confused.

WTA isn`t the best anything. It takes a shitload of behind the scenes work to produce a record nowadays. I appreciate that the band has been touring incessantly, getting the new songs together, and got it all done and delivered 25 months after SBS. A lot of bands obsess for months, even years over a record. Probably Wilco could have made this a better record, but who cares? The perfect Wilco experience is when the band performs their stuff in front of your face, blow the roof off the joint and blow your brains out, for a paltry 30 bucks.

Its just a fucking rock n roll band. Maybe some of us need to step away from the keyboard....relax a little..drink more, think less. Or is it the other way around. :cheers

ok rant over

It IS all silly. And it's a little embarrassing to spout out what I think is wrong with something...as if I know better than the artist.

But isn't that's what these forums are for? Isn't that's what's fun?

...To me, it's very similar to listening to an album. I so badly wanted One Wing to end in an orgasm-inducing musical jam. But it didn't. I wanted to love You Never Know, as it starts of so promising. Then I wonder why the f*ck Jeff has to repeat "I don't care anymore" 50 times. You and I is so damned sweet sounding, but I wish they would have added a little something more to the song. Listening to Jeff on Bull Black Nova is like the excitement of watching my team's return guy streaking down the side-line 80 yards for a touchdown. Go Jeff Go! Then listening to My Country Disappeared or Everlasting Everything is like sitting through the final 30 minutes of Dark Knight, when the Joker was off the screen and I was looking at my watch.

This REALLY bothers you about YOU never know?

...I wonder why the f*ck Jeff has to repeat "I don't care anymore" 50 times.

It's four repititions of two couplets of I don't care anymore x2.

16 times. Hardly on the scale of a live "Misunderstood".

It seems as though you are looking for reasons to be discontent. If they finished One Wing with a guitar freakout you would complain that guitar solos are lazy songwriting tools are you would complain that Jay could have done it better.

It seems as though you are looking for reasons to be discontent. If they finished One Wing with a guitar freakout you would complain that guitar solos are lazy songwriting tools are you would complain that Jay could have done it better.

The repetitive "nothing" is annoying too. There is a theme to wta and it's repetitive. Not much depth.

Jay definitely could sculpt a record with more depth. Nels can destroy a solo and Jay was no slouch himself. Jay is sorely missed in wilco recording sessions and there's no way around it.

To my ears the post Jay freakouts seem like...well freakouts...whereas the freakouts with Jay engineering were intricately orchestrated and melodic masterpieces.

The repetitive "nothing" is annoying too. There is a theme to wta and it's repetitive. Not much depth.

You really don't get wilco, do you.

Yes. When actually listening to the song, it DOES really bother me.

I know you're not suggesting You Never Know is on the level of Misunderstood. 'Cause that would really be silly. (You're not are you. :uhoh )

To me, Wilco's work from A.M. to A Ghost is Born is almost unquestionable...it really seemed that with each effort (including Mermaid and b-sides and work in other bands), Jeff and the band were really striving for something great and/or special and/or thrilling and/or fun. Sky Blue Sky was a very worthy effort, though I got a tiny sense that they were taking the foot off the throttle a bit.

With W(TA), the foot is mostly off the throttle and set to cruise control. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, the record kind of sounds like a sampler of Wilco's various sounds. Unfortuantely, most of the time I've heard them do better versions of these sounds.

Guest Speed Racer

Meh. In this thread the foot is mostly off the throttle and set to cruise control. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, this thread kind of sounds like a sampler of VC's various personalities. Unfortuantely, most of the time I've seen users do better versions of these personalities.

Meh. In this thread the foot is mostly off the throttle and set to cruise control. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, this thread kind of sounds like a sampler of VC's various personalities. Unfortuantely, most of the time I've seen users do better versions of these personalities.

:veryclever

wish I had written that!

I agree. Which in my case means I end up defending the band and sounding like a sycophant, when in real life I'm mostly cynical and jaded about almost everything. (but not about you)

What's the consensus on this thread?

People like it. People don't like it. People get offended. Same old same old. If it wasn't so late on the east coast I'd throw it on again and either enjoy it or get really pissed. Can't decide which would happen, but likely the latter. Different strokes...etc,etc.

Great: Bull Black Nova (my favourite), Deeper Down, One Wing, Country Dissapeared

Good: Solitaire, Sonny Feeling, Everlasting Everything

Meh: Wilco (The Song), You & I, You Never Know, Dark Neon

Annoyingly bland: I'll Fight

So that makes it a solid effort: better than A.M., at about the same level as Summerteeth and maybe Sky Blue Sky, though not as good as the remaining 3 releases.

Great: Solitaire, BBN, Unlikely Japan

Good: Wilco (The Song), You & I

Meh: Deeper Down, One Wing, Sonny Feeling, I'll Fight, Jolly Banker

Bland: Country Disappeared, Everlasting Everything, Dark Neon, You Never Know

Better than AM, worse than SBS.

Great: Solitaire, BBN, Unlikely Japan

Good: Wilco (The Song), You & I

Meh: Deeper Down, One Wing, Sonny Feeling, I'll Fight, Jolly Banker

Bland: Country Disappeared, Everlasting Everything, Dark Neon, You Never Know

Better than AM, worse than SBS.

Great: Deeper Down, One Wing,Country Disappeared, Wilco (The Song,)Everlasting Everything, Solitaire, BBN, Unlikely Japan

Good: I'll Fight, Jolly Banker, You & I

Meh: Sonny Feeling, Dark Neon, You Never Know

Better than most music from SBS