Defective Summerteeth vinyl

Records are ephemera!!

Amen to that.

I did send back the record, but I wanted to see if I could get it to work with various equipment tweaks. Hopefully when I get my much-cheaper (I had pre-ordered each record individually from Amazon) 3-pack from WilcoWorld in 6 weeks, everything will be great. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to remember to crank up the anti-skate whenever I play "Can't Stand It."

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

The crackling noises were present in the actual recording of the show. It was due to a problem with the recording equipment. Now, you are making me think of my Led Zeppelin records. I am the third person to have them, and they were bought new. They are so wore, that they are mostly unplayable.

Thanks, I always wondered about that. They were also there on the first CDs so I figured it was intentional, which in a sense it was since they didn't have to release that show and it did give it an aura it would not have had otherwise, and like I said make it more like a real bootleg which nearly always had both bad sound and quality control problems.

LouieB

Thanks, I always wondered about that. They were also there on the first CDs so I figured it was intentional, which in a sense it was since they didn't have to release that show and it did give it an aura it would not have had otherwise, and like I said make it more like a real bootleg which nearly always had both bad sound and quality control problems.

LouieB

The sound has pretty much been removed in the last two re-releases of the cd. I don't buy records anymore, but I am curious to hear what Being There sounds like in that format.

The sound has pretty much been removed in the last two re-releases of the cd. I don't buy records anymore, but I am curious to hear what Being There sounds like in that format.

Yes, I bought Rosie the deluxe two CD set and I noticed it was gone.

LouieB

Yep, 'Can't Stand It' skipped the first time I played it. I've played it twice more since, and it hasn't skipped again. Have you tried playing it two or three times?

I haven't tried playing it again, but count me in as another whose Summerteeth vinyl skips on Can't Stand It. Just picked it up from my local record store yesterday. Everything else on the album plays fine (and sounds great).

No problem here...very slight warp in the record, but no skip.

Adjusting the anti-skate will not stop skipping. The anti-skate is used to counteract the tendency of the tonearm to slide right or left. By misadjusting the anti-skate, it causes the needle to put a lot of pressure on one side of the vinyl groove, causing uneven and premature wear of the vinyl. This does more damage than having too much weight on the tonearm. For most turntables, the tonearm should be balanced at zero weight. Then about 1.5 to 2.0 grams of pressure should be dialed in. This should be sufficient for most cartridges and tonearms. This weight should be set to the manufacturer's recommendations if it is known. The anti-skate should be set to the same value as the weight of the tonearm. If the tonearm is set up correctly, the vinyl should not skip because of a slight warp, and the tonearm should not bounce to the right or left.

The sound is excellent. If you don't like Summerteeth in general, though, you probably won't like the record. ;)

Oh I love Summerteeth. I'm just wondering why it would sound so much better since it was never mastered for vinyl in the first place. It was made for a digital format right from the start. So did they actually go back and remaster it for this release is my question?

I haven't tried playing it again, but count me in as another whose Summerteeth vinyl skips on Can't Stand It. Just picked it up from my local record store yesterday. Everything else on the album plays fine (and sounds great).

Thanks to all for sharing your issues on this.

I also had skips during Can't Stand It, on vinyl ordered from Amazon, but I'm in Australia so posting back to Amazon was a pretty expensive option.

During the 1st play it skipped three times, after reading these quotes I gave it a 2nd play and one skip had disappeared. Gave it two more plays through the skip effected section and lost another skip, but one still persisted through a bunch more plays. I figured that, seeing as running a needle over it removed the other skips, I'd unplug my player and gently guide the needle back-and-forth over the skipping section a few times. And that actually worked. Hallelujah!

That said, try any record scratching at your own risk! I just figured I had nothing to lose...

On a more general note, I buy a bunch of new vinyl and occasionally seem to have problems with skips in the 1st two songs of albums. Sufjan Steven's Seven Swans I returned to the store after a track two skip. Two different Sloan albums I own (pressed in the same lot) had skips in the first song on both sides. My Fleet Foxes LP used to skip during White Winter Hymnal for the first few plays but now just pops there. Figure 8 by Elliott Smith has a skip near the start of side two (apparently that lot of pressing were real duds though, with skips aplenty). Maybe it's this part of the record that more vunerable if there are quality control issues with the pressing.

The appearance of skips on older vinyl is a more rare occurrence from my experience. Are folks at the pressing plants just offering less care these days?

ps. the vinyl version does sound less compressed than the CD version, but there is no extra credit given on the sleeve to remastering job, so maybe it's just my imagination..

Thanks to all for sharing your issues on this.

Maybe it's this part of the record that more vunerable if there are quality control issues with the pressing.

The appearance of skips on older vinyl is a more rare occurrence from my experience. Are folks at the pressing plants just offering less care these days?

Considering so much less vinyl is being pressed, I would guess less care is part of it. It could also be that since there is the option to buy CDs which don't skip, they simply don't care.

See my other posts, but older vinyl doesn't skip very often, even beat up and scratched LPs play straight through. I am not using a very sophisticated turntable either.

I better get on the stick and listen to this Summerteeth. I bought a couple other new LPs last weekend at the Bloodshot event (Alejandro Escovedo's Man Under the Influence and Old 97s Wreck Your Life reissues. Hopefully these are okay.)

LouieB

The warp of the first disc is pretty common for new vinyl. I would say 50% of new rock records are slightly to pretty damn warped. Why Quality control on new vinyl sucks now, I'm not sure. In this case putting the cd in the sleeve maybe the cause.

It makes sense to buy from one of the 4-5 vinyl online vendors and or Amazon, as they will take retruns although you will have to pay to ship it back to them $2.77 (media Mail) you probably will want delivery confirmation too. Retail stores can't accept returns becuase they aren't allowed to return them to get credit for them via the distribors anymore. It sucks, it's a finicky media for sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way. By the way alot of new rock vinyl is noisy and will sound better if cleaned.

As far as the sound of LP it's better than the original CD, it's still a super digital/ pro tools circa 98/99creation, but it's the best the music will ever sound. They did a nice job, and as I mentioned the mastering so much better than the red book cd.

Made me miss Jay :) + :(