Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes--Tulsa, OK 09/03/09

Obligatory self deprecating comment: I suck at reviewing shows but here goes.

After missing him with the Imposters a couple of years ago, and being 3 yrs old when he came through in 1978, I finally saw Elvis Costello with the Sugarcanes at my all-time favorite dancehall venue, Cain's Ballroom. He played a solid 2+ hours. Opened with "Mystery Train" and threw in "Tonight the bottle let me down," Hank's "why don't you love me like you used to do" and the possum's "the race is on" for some honky-tonk flair. The sugarcanes with jerry douglas on resonator, jim lauderdale on rhythm and backing vocals, and additional players on stand up bass, violin, mandolin, and accordion were sublime. Even the countrified approach to "alison, red shoes, PLU, and blame it on cain" worked seamlessly and felt like that this is the way these songs have always sounded. Elvis Costello not only delivered but absolutely stomped a hole in the cain's. It was one of those perfect performer, perfect crowd, perfect venue nights that can't be duplicated.

Setlist

01. Mystery Train

02. My All Time Doll

03. Mystery Dance

04. Down Among The Wines And Spirits

05. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down

06. Blame It On Cain

07. Femme Fatale

08. The Delivery Man

09. The Butcher's Boy

10. I've Lost You

11. Indoor Fireworks

12. Hidden Shame

13. Condemned Man

14. Friend Of The Devil

15. Poor Borrowed Dress

16. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

17. Don't You Lie To Me

Encore 1

18. Complicated Shadows

19. The Crooked Line

20. Brilliant Mistake

21. Sulphur To Sugarcane

22. Everyday I Write The Book

Encore 2

23. Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?

24. Five Small Words / Not Fade Away

25. Happy

26. Alison - including He'll Have To Go

27. The Race Is On

28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

Thanks for posting! This was the last show with the Sugarcanes on this run and prehaps the rest of this year. The show featured four new unreleased songs. Elvis has been adding new songs throughout the tour. I believe there have been six in total. What other artist can get away with that?!?!

went to this show too... was a little apprehensive about how this would come off live - didn't think it'd be as loud and rock as it was, but it was great! rowdy crowd, which i think energized the band as well as it being the last night of the tour... great way to spend 2 1/2 hours!