New Drive-By Truckers

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eldest brother and I are making a road trip to St. Louis to catch one of these shows. Been wanting to see Blitzen Trapper for a long time and this will be my third DBT show.

You won't be disappointed - I've seen BT three times now, and they always deliver.

I've only seen DBT once when they opened for The Black Crowes back around '06. They were good then, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in a smaller venue.

Unfortunately, we've got Shovels and Rope and not BT opening here in Vancouver. Anyone a fan? Suggestions?

I love Shovels and Rope. Fantastic harmonies. I saw their ACL set on TV a while back and they look like they're a lot of fun live.

This is one of my favorites of their songs:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the Drive-By Truckers. They're coming to Boston and I've wanting to catch up with their music and see them. So yesterday I was buying music and noticed one of their cd's prominently displayed in a recommendation rack. I assumed it was something current and never looked at the year until I got home and realized what I bought, Southern Rock Opera, is from 2001. So, my question, how representative is this of the current sound and lineup of the band? Would welcome suggestions for other releases to get.

well its not at all representative of the current lineup (hood, cooley and the drummer remain, new bassist and keyboardist/guitarist these days), but their sound hasnt changed too much, and they still play a lot of the SRO songs at nearly every show

as for other releases, decoration day and the dirty south go along with SRO as the holy trinity for me, with brighter than creations dark close behind

well its not at all representative of the current lineup (hood, cooley and the drummer remain, new bassist and keyboardist/guitarist these days), but their sound hasnt changed too much, and they still play a lot of the SRO songs at nearly every show

as for other releases, decoration day and the dirty south go along with SRO as the holy trinity for me, with brighter than creations dark close behind

Thx. Disc 1 of SRO sounds great

I'll second the recommendations and suggest you check out The Dirty South and Decoration Day for the best of the Isbell years. Brighter Than Creation's Dark was a terrific "comeback record," so to speak, after Isbell's departure, although it's primary fault is its length. They could have cut a handful of songs from that one.

There are quite a few folks around these parts who don't like their most recent records (The Big To-Do and Go Go Boots), but I dig 'em. Those albums definitely mine a different musical territory than the stuff from their middle period. They're less hard rock and more subtle -- pianos and organs; acoustic guitars and chiming electric guitars more than fuzzy guitars, though there's still some rock songs -- but I think Hood and Cooley are still writing some great songs. Really excited to hear the new one soon.

I'll second the recommendations and suggest you check out The Dirty South and Decoration Day for the best of the Isbell years. Brighter Than Creation's Dark was a terrific "comeback record," so to speak, after Isbell's departure, although it's primary fault is its length. They could have cut a handful of songs from that one.

this goes for all their records, to be honest. theyre easily one of my favorite bands going, but they havent made an album that couldnt be trimmed by about ten minutes yet

of course the flip side of that is theres no real fan consensus on which songs should be cut.

why o why does no one ever give love to Blessing And A Curse?  It always is a head scratcher when the album the started it for you is no one elses favorite.  Oh well.  All I can say that Space City and A World of Hurt art true tear jerkers.  IMHO Patterson Hood is a one dimensional writer and the loss of Isbell killed that band.  Cooley's latest seem to be lacking also.  

this goes for all their records, to be honest. theyre easily one of my favorite bands going, but they havent made an album that couldnt be trimmed by about ten minutes yet

of course the flip side of that is theres no real fan consensus on which songs should be cut.

I agree 100%. I should have clarified.I suppose BTCD just went way overboard, more so than the others. I keep a CD in my car that whittles Decoration Day and Dirty South to one kick-ass disc, which was a very tough exercise.

why o why does no one ever give love to Blessing And A Curse?  It always is a head scratcher when the album the started it for you is no one elses favorite.  Oh well.  All I can say that Space City and A World of Hurt art true tear jerkers.  IMHO Patterson Hood is a one dimensional writer and the loss of Isbell killed that band.  Cooley's latest seem to be lacking also.  

With the exception of their first two records, it falls toward the bottom of the pile for me. I do like a handful of songs from it, but they were really struggling at that point, right on the verge of Isbell's departure. You can just hear it in the songs, most of which were written in the studio. I disagree re: Cooley though. I think Pulaski is a damn brilliant piece of songwriting, as are 3 Dimes Down, Perfect Timing and Self Destructive Zones.

Go-Go Boots is easily their worst. But they haven't had a really good album since The Dirty South. Also, Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance are excellent. My hope is that with Shonna out of the band, they'll regain some past glory. She was their Yoko.