pearl jam - backspacer

i realize we have a long going pearl jam thread on here, but i felt compelled to add a thread specifically for the new album. i'm sure anyone who is interested knows that it has leaked, so lets share some opinions of it.

i'm loving it. i think it's the best since no code at the moment. time may change my opinion however, as i usually get pretty giddy over a new pearl jam album. it's definitely a return to form lyrically for eddie vedder, as i think the last two albums were a little too political in that department. the production is great and "just breathe" just might be my new favorite pearl jam song. i have a feeling that if the marketing for this one is able to get the reach they are hoping for, pearl jam is going to be gaining a lot of new fans with backspacer. there's something for everyone on it. a very easy album to enjoy. i think this one succeeds in everyway avocado failed.

the only songs i'm not digging are "gonna see my friend" and "supersonic"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure i understand the point in this statement. probably isn't one. but thanks for the insight.

meaning it's an overly sappy MOR song

it's not often i feel Ed is faking emotion for the sake of, but in that case i can't help but feel that way.

i don't mind the opening part of the song, but when it goes into the "did i saaaaaaaaaaaaay that i neeeeeeeeed yoooooooou... did i saaaaaaaay that i waaaaaaaaaaaant you" bit, my BS detector is triggered a bit and i feel like i'm listening to Coldplay or The Fray or something. :ermm

from the Promo video version of Just Breathe i was thinking that i'd hate Ed's voice on the verses even too, cuz he sounded so nasally and strained on it, but thankfully it's a little more restrained in the studio.

i don't mind the opening part of the song, but when it goes into the "did i saaaaaaaaaaaaay that i neeeeeeeeed yoooooooou... did i saaaaaaaay that i waaaaaaaaaaaant you" bit, my BS detector is triggered a bit and i feel like i'm listening to Coldplay or The Fray or something. :ermm

from the Promo video version of Just Breathe i was thinking that i'd hate Ed's voice on the verses even too, cuz he sounded so nasally and strained on it, but thankfully it's a little more restrained in the studio.

Well call me an MOR sap then. It's my favorite track on the disc.

thing is, i love plenty of slow/mellow PJ songs (Long Road, Nothingman, Immortality, Release, Off He Goes, Lowlight, Indifference), but hardly any of the ones they've done post '00 hold up to their 90's ones. the best examples are All or None or Fatal.

instead we get crap like Thin Air or Parachutes :yucky

heck, even though i've never been a fan of Elderly Woman, i'd take that over a lot of their recent slower songs.

For those of you living in or near Chicago, we're having another Pearl Jam party at the Ashland (2824 N. Ashland) to celebrate the release of Backspacer. It's this Saturday, September 19 from about 7 p.m. on. We'll be spinning the new record, raffling off some Pearl Jam goodies (including a Chicago '06 poster), and mostly just enjoying some drinks with fellow fans.

If you can, bring some nonperishable/canned goods (proceeds from the evening will benefit the Greater Chicago Food Depository).

Hope you can join us! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I only listened once, but I thought this was their worst, along with Riot Act, by a mile. The lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager. I'm going to give it a couple more chances (it's short), but I don't know about this thing. If the lyrics bother me on a record, I'm very liable to not come around on it.

As a hardcore fan that has seen them 18 times and over-analyzes everything they do, I have to say this is classic Pearl Jam. I've been listening non-stop since Friday and I have a hard time finding any weaknesses. Well, except maybe for "Johnny Guitar" and "The End", but we'll see. Just to give you an idea of what kind of fan I am, this is a quick rundown of how I would rank their previous efforts:

No Code

Yield

Vs

Vitalogy

Ten

S/T

Binaural

Riot Act

It's too early to place it, but easily top five material for me. I think the length has a lot to with it. When I first heard it was only 37 minutes I was discouraged, but the band clearly trimmed the fat and went with quality over quantity.

I must say, I'm really enjoying this album as well. Probably my favorite of their past few releases.

Riot Act always gets tagged their "worst" album (and rightfully so in some aspects) but Thumbing My Way is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

As a hardcore fan that has seen them 18 times and over-analyzes everything they do, I have to say this is classic Pearl Jam. I've been listening non-stop since Friday and I have a hard time finding any weaknesses. Well, except maybe for "Johnny Guitar" and "The End", but we'll see. Just to give you an idea of what kind of fan I am, this is a quick rundown of how I would rank their previous efforts:

No Code

Yield

Vs

Vitalogy

Ten

S/T

Binaural

Riot Act

It's too early to place it, but easily top five material for me. I think the length has a lot to with it. When I first heard it was only 37 minutes I was discouraged, but the band clearly trimmed the fat and went with quality over quantity.

Fellow "hardcore fan" and overanalyzer

johhny guitar is the best song on the record IMHO (except for that damn fade out)

classic vedder vocals and a punkish riff

And I love just breathe.

the first five songs are good, then the record just goes way downhill IMHO

My biggest disappointment is that McCready is nowhere to be found on this record. And I really wish ed would stop writing songs about water and waves. I was really hoping they would have LESS keyboards on the record-but there is more synth and piano on this record than any other-I just dont like it at all. Unthought known sounds like a fucking coldplay song for pete's sake.

But as I have said before, its what Ive come to expect from PJ since riot act-a record that has a few songs I really like and a bunch more that don't really do anything for me.

perhaps my opinion will change after hearing the songs live-I certainly hope so.

I only listened once, but I thought this was their worst, along with Riot Act, by a mile. The lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager. I'm going to give it a couple more chances (it's short), but I don't know about this thing. If the lyrics bother me on a record, I'm very liable to not come around on it.

Got my copy yesterday, and on first listen my reaction is similar. I think it could possibly be worse than Riot Act, which I loved initially, but sunk in standing for me as time went on.

I've never had a negative reaction on first listen of a Pearl Jam album. This feels really strange for me. :ohwell

I'll have to give it couple more chances this weekend. At least it's fairly short.

I love pearl jam and I'm enjoying this album. It is too early to rank it as right now i'm in new album euphoria mode.

Some really cool songs and some okay songs. I think most pj fans will enjoy this. It is a pretty safe album for them in my opinion. Not branching out much, but that is not necesarily a bad thing.

Anybody know the specifics of Target's "Deluxe Edition"?

Thought I heard something about access to live downloads (??????)

you get two free concert downloads with the target version

target deluxe version comes with the concerts and rockband tracks

you get two free concert downloads with the target version

target deluxe version comes with the concerts and rockband tracks

Any idea if the 10 Club edition is supposed to come with any decent downloadable extras later on down the line? Am I missing something here? From what I can tell we can just download some wallpaper, look at some photos and browse concerts that are for sale.

It was nice getting the CD a couple days early, but otherwise I'm feeling ripped off. And I don't need book style packaging when the artwork is hideous.

I've become accustomed to getting something extra when I pre-order directly from a band. Posters, stickers, buttons . . . you usually get SOMETHING, even if it's only worth pennies. A friendly gesture would be appreciated.

Just picked it up at Target today (why the Sunday release date?). I had to ask someone for it, who then realized that it was supposed to come out today and started stocking them.

Aside from the Pearl Jam cover, the artwork for the last three albums has been horrible.