pearl jam - backspacer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HORSESHIT. I dont agree with either assessment but it certainly doesnt apply to Wilco.

well yeah, wilco was never "on top of the world" or "the biggest rock megalith on the planet" but the rest is right on.

I'm a Pearl Jam diehard (and often find myself in the role of Pearl Jam apologist) but I have to say this record is...just not very good. It's really, really poppy - and I'm fine with poppy - but what bothers me most is how formulaic it is. As the Pitchfork reviewer says, it really does sound tossed off.

Lots of cringe-worthy moments on this record, but perhaps the worst is "Just Breathe". While listening to this track for the first time, I thought "ah, so this is why people make fun of Eddie Vedder's vocals." :ermm

There's an article in SPIN this month and Mike McCready says something about the fact that since they were self-releasing the album, the songs were written with more of an eye toward commercial appeal. Makes sense for their bottom line, I guess, but I don't think it does the record any favors.

That said, they're still a fantastic live band; we heard "The Fixer", "Supersonic" and "Got Some" at the Chicago shows, and they sounded much better with a bit of life pumped into them. This clip from last night's show in Seattle even gives me a bit of hope for one of the more tepid songs on the record, "Amongst the Waves":

Ah well. Still looking forward to the Philly shows :thumbup

I am pretty disappointed in the new album. I was hoping for a bigger pay off considering the fact that I risked the wrath of my wife by purchasing this album just two weeks after dropping 200+ on the new Beatles stereo box set. I actually like the avocado, it isn't their best but I think there are some interesting songs on it. I'm twice through on this one and I'm not feeling it. Maybe it's because I've been listening to the Beatles for two weeks but to me there are no memorable melodies on Backspacer.

The entire Pitchfork review, not just the first paragraph, was spot on. Good work, site that normally sucks at writing.

yeah... it had some factual inaccuracies (it's their 9th album for one, and the song that sounds like the Ramones is Supersonic not Speed of Sound, which i think they've since corrected), but overall the take is pretty decent.

score is too low, but typical for Pfork and major releases.

however their Monsters of Folk review today is just TERRIBLE writing.

It's kind of a cheesy, fluffy album, but very enjoyable. It's the kind of thing I could listen to 3x in a row on a long car ride without getting tired of it.

The Pitchfork review just perpetuates that site's same tired heuristic of "experimental=good." It's pretty hard to agree with a reviewer that yearns for the good ol' days of classic tracks like "foxymophandlemama" and "Bugs." PJ has always been a meat and potatoes, generic sort of rock band. But they're probably the best meat and potatoes, generic rock band out there. It seems a little strange to expect anything more, especially after almost 20 years.

It's kind of a cheesy, fluffy album, but very enjoyable. It's the kind of thing I could listen to 3x in a row on a long car ride without getting tired of it.

The Pitchfork review just perpetuates that site's same tired heuristic of "experimental=good." It's pretty hard to agree with a reviewer that yearns for the good ol' days of classic tracks like "foxymophandlemama" and "Bugs." PJ has always been a meat and potatoes, generic sort of rock band. But they're probably the best meat and potatoes, generic rock band out there. It seems a little strange to expect anything more, especially after almost 20 years.

I expect more. This album just isn't that good, which is doubly disappointing considering how good Pearl Jam was. It's a step backwards.

I've never considered them generic. I think they have a distinct sound that was emulated by countless pretenders. I doubt they will ever best their run from Ten through Yeild.

It seems a little strange to expect anything more, especially after almost 20 years.

It doesn't seem strange to me to expect an awesome band/artist crank out an awesome album. Look at Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young.

The Pitchfork review just perpetuates that site's same tired heuristic of "experimental=good."

Counterexamples: Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights, The Fiery Furnaces' Rehearsing My Choir, N.A.S.A.'s Spirit Of Apollo...

Your formula doesn't even factor in the N factorial term for the hype(rbole) they create.

I've never considered them generic. I think they have a distinct sound that was emulated by countless pretenders. I doubt they will ever best their run from Ten through Yield.

I love Pearl Jam, but I think Vedder's singing style is probably their only real "innovation", if you can call it that. They're really just '70s rock with a touch of punk (and most of the punk is already there in the '70s rock.) But then again, I don't really consider any '90s alt-rock/grunge to be anything than a new shine on an old formula. I still love it, but I never thought it was breaking the mold.

It doesn't seem strange to me to expect an awesome band/artist crank out an awesome album. Look at Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young.

I meant that you shouldn't expect Pearl Jam to release an experimental album, which is what it seemed like Pitchfork wanted. The review kind of smelled like the writer was embarrassed for his nostalgic affection for PJ, so he was trying to justify it by referring to stuff like "foxymophandlemama", i.e. "remember when they used to be an avant-garde rock act?" Except they never were -- that kind of stuff was nothing but indulgence by a band at their commercial peak. It's something they eliminated almost immediately. We're talking about a band where No Code, which is pretty conventional in the grand scheme of things, was seen as a huge, fanbase-killing departure.

I'm a little surprised to see negative comments from people who liked the last album, since they seem pretty similar in quality to me -- the new one is less epic, I suppose. But I think "Got Some" and "The Fixer" are as good as "Life Wasted" and "World Wide Suicide", et al.

And I've gotta say, Backspacer is no classic but I think I like it more than the last dozen Neil albums or so! But that's another argument.

I meant that you shouldn't expect Pearl Jam to release an experimental album, which is what it seemed like Pitchfork wanted. The review kind of smelled like the writer was embarrassed for his nostalgic affection for PJ, so he was trying to justify it by referring to stuff like "foxymophandlemama", i.e. "remember when they used to be an avant-garde rock act?" Except they never were -- that kind of stuff was nothing but indulgence by a band at their commercial peak. It's something they eliminated almost immediately. We're talking about a band where No Code, which is pretty conventional in the grand scheme of things, was seen as a huge, fanbase-killing departure.

I'm a little surprised to see negative comments from people who liked the last album, since they seem pretty similar in quality to me -- the new one is less epic, I suppose. But I think "Got Some" and "The Fixer" are as good as "Life Wasted" and "World Wide Suicide", et al.

And I've gotta say, Backspacer is no classic but I think I like it more than the last dozen Neil albums or so! But that's another argument.

I don't think anyone ever thought Pearl Jam was doing innovative or experimental things. Sure, they noodled around with accordions and mantras, but that's not outside of rock's realm. But the album sounds pretty stale. They minutely changed their sound, but as the reviewer stated, they're just making the rounds. I still can't handle the fact that Ed has finally caved and just totally relied on the crutch of "yeah yeah yeah" as a melody. That's not good music: that's corny music.

Most of us shouldn't have expectations of our favorite bands but to keep some key elements of their sound: it's hard to change human nature. But if there's no change, then you feel as if you've traveled in a circle and returned to familiar territory, which is where this album is.

No Code's didn't kill a fan base, but rather solidified it. If anything, it weeded out the real fans from casual listeners. Look at how many fans scream and sing along on Present Tense when you go to a concert. Smile shows up in encores and everyone loves it.

No Code's didn't kill a fan base, but rather solidified it. If anything, it weeded out the real fans from casual listeners. Look at how many fans scream and sing along on Present Tense when you go to a concert. Smile shows up in encores and everyone loves it.

100% OTM :)

I think backspacer is a good album. Far from their best but some really nice songs.

got some

amongst the waves

just breathe

unthought known

force of nature

all stand tall for me. Some of the others are more average and a couple i could do without.

despite that wussy drum intro, Force of Nature is def my favorite song on this record now. funny that it's the only one they haven't played live yet...

I'm not a very big fan of this album, and Speed of Sound and Force of Nature are about as bad as it gets for Pearl Jam songs, IMO. Oh well. For me, Amongst the Waves and Got Some are the only worthwhile songs here.

Speed of Sound is pretty damn bad, but i think Force of Nature has a pretty killer swagger to it and i love the chorus.

Got Some & Amongst are the other 2 i like a lot too tho. Unthought Known from the 1:30 mark on rules, but that first 1/3 sucks

Speed of Sound is pretty damn bad, but i think Force of Nature has a pretty killer swagger to it and i love the chorus.

Got Some & Amongst are the other 2 i like a lot too tho. Unthought Known from the 1:30 mark on rules, but that first 1/3 sucks

Unthought Known sounds like a lot like Love Boat Captain, too. And Supersonic reminds me of Mankind. I just don't think it's a very interesting album overall. Although, after listening to their 2000s output yesterday, it's still better than Riot Act.

Supersonic is a ton of fun tho... but def hear the Mankind riffs. And I can hear LBC in the intro of UT as well.

but i agree, it's a decent but otherwise very average PJ album (and yes, still doesn't have nearly the sheer # of crap songs that Riot Act has)

Supersonic is a ton of fun tho... but def hear the Mankind riffs. And I can hear LBC in the intro of UT as well.

but i agree, it's a decent but otherwise very average PJ album (and yes, still doesn't have nearly the sheer # of crap songs that Riot Act has)

Nonsense. You only wish that Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature, and Unthought Known measured up to the sheer brillance that is Help, Help, Ghost, or Crapduster.

and that list you mention includes two of the best shows in the last few years

grand rapids 06

hartford 08

a nice little bonus imho

I was presently surprised by the album.

I missed the S/T, but is this the first one to not have a really experimental, weird track like "I'm Open?" There seemed to be at least one. There was one on Riot Act, but I forget which one.

The only thing - on the ballady songs Vedder's voice almost sounds Auto-Tuned - could it be?

Are they hoping for a radio hit a la "Nowhere Man" or "Last Kiss," so they let Brendan put Auto-Tune on his vocals?

I bought it at Target and haven't even tried downloading shows - how is the process/is there a time limit (like with the Wilco bonus downloads which went down or didn't work before I got them)?

I have read that any covers are taken out of the shows.