pearl jam - backspacer

Veteran Seattle band Pearl Jam bows atop the Billboard 200 chart this week with its ninth studio album, "Backspacer," shifting 189,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

It's the group's fourth chart-topper and first since 1996, when "No Code" landed in the penthouse with 367,000. Pearl Jam's last studio album, its 2006 self-titled J Records effort, debuted and peaked at No. 2 with 279,000.

"Backspacer" is Pearl Jam's 30th charting album on the Billboard 200. That sum includes nine studio albums, a greatest hits package, a B-sides set and 19 live albums. Between "No Code" and "Backspacer," the band placed four other sets within the top 10.

Just for the heck of it:

Ten initially sold slowly upon its release, but by the second half of 1992 it became a breakthrough success, attaining an RIAA gold certification.

Vs. debuted at the top of the Billboard 200 album chart and stayed on the chart for five weeks. Vs. sold 950,378 copies in its first week and outperformed all other entries in the Billboard top ten that week combined.

Vitalogy was released first on vinyl on November 22, 1994, two weeks before the CD release. It debuted at number 55 on the Billboard 200 album chart. The album sold 35,000 copies in its first week of release. It was the first vinyl album to appear on the chart due to vinyl sales since the proliferation of compact discs. When Vitalogy was released on CD and cassette on December 6, 1994, it reached number one on the Billboard 200 album chart. The album sold more than 877,000 copies in its first week of release on CD and became the second-fastest-selling CD in history, behind only the band's previous release Vs.

No Code was Pearl Jam's last album to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 album chart. It stayed at number one for two weeks. No Code sold 366,000 copies in its first week of release. This was significantly less than what the band's previous two albums sold in their respective first weeks of release. It was, however, the biggest-selling debut of what was a slow year for the industry. No Code was the band's first album to not reach multi-platinum status.

The album was proclaimed as a return to the band's early, straightforward rock sound. Yield sold 358,000 copies during its first week of release, and debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Binaural sold 226,000 copies during its first week of release and debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Riot Act reached number five in the U.S. on the Billboard 200 album chart. The album sold 166,000 copies in its first week of release. The album would end up selling only 508,000 copies in the United States according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Pearl Jam entered the UK charts at number five, the band's highest position there since 2000's Binaural, while it reached number two in the U.S., selling 279,564 copies in its first week.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i realize music sales are down a lot, some interesting figures...

Backspacer is their first #1 debut since No Code, it sold 189,000 copies it's first week.

Self-Titled sold 279,000 it's first week...

so with a giant push, the Target exclusive thing, etc. and it still sold 90k less it's first week than the last album (a 33% drop from the S/T)

not to mention at this point how many hardcore fans buy multiple formats? (shit i even bought the iTunes LP thing for $9.99 cuz i had a gift card to waste and was curious how that LP thing looked/worked (it's kinda neat btw, imho).

compared to (not as fair obviously considering the industry downturn, but for posterity sake):

Pearl Jam: 279,00 (61% increase over Riot Act)

Riot Act: 166,000 (37% drop from Binaural)

Binaural: 226,000 (37% drop from Yield)

Yield: 358,000 (2.2% drop from No Code)

No Code: 366,000 (59% drop from Vitalogy)

Vitalogy: 877,000 (7.7% drop from Vs.)

Vs: 950,000 (can't find Ten's first week sales)

Rumor has it that target paid PJ $5 million (i.e. advance order of 1 millon copies at $5 per unit). The band is said to get $5 per copy for any sales over one million-not that its likely. Should be some steep discounts in the future as target tries to move these units.

the setlists on the current tour look terrific

as the thread starter here, i felt compelled to come back and say that my initial reaction to backspacer was a result of me being excited about hearing new pearl jam. after a few weeks now i can say i'm a little underwhelmed with the album. definitely not the best since 'no code' which i stated in my original post. if anything i'd say the only album i like this one better than is the last one. some good songs that will be cool to hear live, but as a whole, it's just not that spectacular....i think 'got some' is probably my favorite song here.

The only thing - on the ballady songs Vedder's voice almost sounds Auto-Tuned - could it be?

Are they hoping for a radio hit a la "Nowhere Man" or "Last Kiss," so they let Brendan put Auto-Tune on his vocals?

What songs are you talking about specifically? I don't hear any auto-tune at all.

What's so great about long-career rock bands like Pearl Jam, is by the time you turn in your sixth album any fan's hierarchy of albums, or songs that they respond to starts to turn fractal. They're like finger prints, everyone starts to approach the band their own way navigating a catalog of over a hundred songs.

That said I think the best Pearl Jam albums are easily Riot Act, Binaural and Vitalogy. Riot Act might be the best. I suppose that makes me weird around these parts. That and I think Ten is awful.

One listen in and Backspacer sounds fun, serviceable, solid, and forgettable. Much like S/T. These guys work hard at what they do, with Eddie on the mic and Matt Cameron on the skins even B-Sides are pretty cool. This album could be a b-sides collection and I would enjoy listening to it. It's got nothing on my favorite PJ albums though.

I guess my thing with Riot Act, is much like No Code, it shows the full depth of the band. I like their rockin riffs, and powerhouse stuff, but I like when they play weird chords, when they throw in acoustic instruments, when they use more off-kilter rhythms, when they write tense songs that seem to build intensity but never boil over. Riot Act owns that mixture of facets to me. I don't care if it's 'experimental', I just like depth, not rock and roll paint by numbers. Even though PJ can paint by numbers better than almost anyone.

That said I think the best Pearl Jam albums are easily Riot Act, Binaural and Vitalogy. Riot Act might be the best. I suppose that makes me weird around these parts. That and I think Ten is awful.

Not just "these parts". I've never seen anyone put Binaural in the top half of Pearl Jam's catalog. Same goes for Riot Act. Bianuaral has some of the worst production I've heard on any record since the 80s. And I love a lot of songs on Riot Act but it's a pretty uneven record with some real big turds. I do love Vitalogy though, and I love Pearl Jam music that doesn't really sound like Pearl Jam music. Probably why I love Yield and No Code so much.

Bianuaral has some of the worst production I've heard on any record since the 80s.

That's Tchad Blake, I think it's a really cool sounding record.

Do you have an adjective to describe whats so bad about it? I find the O'Brien produced stuff to sound a little to glossy.

That's Tchad Blake, I think it's a really cool sounding record.

Do you have an adjective to describe whats so bad about it? I find the O'Brien produced stuff to sound a little to glossy.

It has an overall muddy/murky sound to it that really turns me off. I don't hear balance. I like those songs a lot more in a live setting.

It has an overall muddy/murky sound to it that really turns me off. I don't hear balance. I like those songs a lot more in a live setting.

the first six records are all great

binaural took some time to appreciate, but no question-those songs really shine live

but its a great record

Im so so on riot act, its definitely the one I reach for the least

but that being said, it has three songs on it that I never get tired of

cant keep, save you and all or none

What's so great about long-career rock bands like Pearl Jam, is by the time you turn in your sixth album any fan's hierarchy of albums, or songs that they respond to starts to turn fractal. They're like finger prints, everyone starts to approach the band their own way navigating a catalog of over a hundred songs.

One listen in and Backspacer sounds fun, serviceable, solid, and forgettable. Much like S/T. These guys work hard at what they do, with Eddie on the mic and Matt Cameron on the skins even B-Sides are pretty cool. This album could be a b-sides collection and I would enjoy listening to it. It's got nothing on my favorite PJ albums though.

I guess my thing with Riot Act, is much like No Code, it shows the full depth of the band. I like their rockin riffs, and powerhouse stuff, but I like when they play weird chords, when they throw in acoustic instruments, when they use more off-kilter rhythms, when they write tense songs that seem to build intensity but never boil over. Riot Act owns that mixture of facets to me. I don't care if it's 'experimental', I just like depth, not rock and roll paint by numbers. Even though PJ can paint by numbers better than almost anyone.

i'm with you on riot act. no code is my favorite, but riot act is right up there as well. i never understood all the hate for it. i think your analysis is pretty spot on.

Y'all are the first two people I've ever heard say anything positive about Riot Act. I still think it's their worst album, mainly because there are some outright dreadful songs on it (most, if not all, of the second half of the album), and the good songs, of which there are very few, are decent at best. Obviously, tastes are different, but I thought the opinion on Riot Act was consensus.

Y'all are the first two people I've ever heard say anything positive about Riot Act. I still think it's their worst album, mainly because there are some outright dreadful songs on it (most, if not all, of the second half of the album), and the good songs, of which there are very few, are decent at best. Obviously, tastes are different, but I thought the opinion on Riot Act was consensus.

I like Riot Act.

Guest Hollinger.

I dig Riot Act. It really stuck with me reading some of Eddie's interviews around it's release, and where he was emotionally while recording. Roskilde really destroyed him for a long time.

it's not just you... on the diff PJ forums i'm on, Riot Act is usually the consensus least favorite, but it does have it's fans

Guest Hollinger.

And when I say I like Riot Act, I'll also add that it's my second least favorite album behind the self-titled. In my world, being the worst PJ record is not necessarily a bad thing.

My PJ album ranking:

1. Yield

1. No Code (tie)

3. Vs.

3. Vitalogy (tie)

5. Ten

6. Binaural

7. Backspacer

8. s/t

9. Riot Act

Yield and No Code are interchangeable for me, at the top spot. I like Jack Irons on the drums and Vedder's lyrics introspective. Vs. is next, and it stands up remarkably today. But some days I like Vitalogy just as much, so I'm gonna call that a tie. Ten is next. The production on it is horrible, I'm tired of the songs on it, but there's no doubt it's a classic. The reissue and the Rock Band release helped rekindle the flame for me a little bit. Getting rid of the reverse reverb and the rest of the 80s hair metal production tics helped immensely, although I wish they had kept the compression and dynamic levels of the original release.

Binaural I like a lot. It takes me back to a very specific time and place, my senior year of high school. I got it the day of release at the now-defunct Blue Dog in Fredericksburg, VA. My gf and I tore into the packaging and checked out the artwork in the car. I was a little disappointed in the art, but I still remember the feeling of excitement. Of the Girl and Insignificance were early favorites. I saw Pearl Jam live for the first time in 2000, as a high school graduation gift.

Riot Act I liked for a few weeks in 2002, before the new album excitement wore off. I tried to convince my Pitchfork-reading college roommate that it was a great album and PJ was a great band, but he was having none of it. On sober reflection, he was right, about the album at least. I never got into the self-titled album, and saw the band only once in 2006, despite having seen them several times on their 2003 tour. My interest was waning. Backspacer I like more, but I saw the band last summer at their first MSG show and just didn't have a good time. That was the best I've seen them play, with the best singalong crowd and everything, but I just wasn't into it anymore. I'm not going to see them on this tour, and doubt I will next year when they come around again.

My PJ album ranking:

1. Yield

1. No Code (tie)

3. Vs.

3. Vitalogy (tie)

5. Ten

6. Binaural

7. Backspacer

8. s/t

9. Riot Act

That top 5 is identical to mine, but the bottom 4 not so much.

What songs are you talking about specifically? I don't hear any auto-tune at all.

i can't remember the titles - aren't there only 2 more acoustic based tracks - those.

his voice sounds like it always has on the more rocking songs, but it sounds different on that.

maybe it is a different voice - i never heard the Into the Wild stuff.

maybe all of it sounds like that.

there are some odd - unnatural vocal sounds to me.

i can't remember the titles - aren't there only 2 more acoustic based tracks - those.

his voice sounds like it always has on the more rocking songs, but it sounds different on that.

maybe it is a different voice - i never heard the Into the Wild stuff.

maybe all of it sounds like that.

there are some odd - unnatural vocal sounds to me.

I think you are talking about just breathe

rumor has it EV had a head cold when he recorded just breathe, it does sound different

perry farrell joined PJ onstage last night for a rocking version of "mountain song"

I cant wait to hear the entire version