I and Love and You (vinyl)

Just and FYI, the Avett Brothers website states this morning that the vinyl is in stores today.

I just pre ordered mine a few days prior (stating a 9/29 release date), but I can't wait and my father in law needs his own copy (justification).

This is where I am reminded of how crappy my local music stores are. We'll see if anyone has it in today.

As a side note, I'm not sure if there are any reviews out yet, but I'm refusing to read any reviews on this until I hear it. I'm preparing for the backlash about the slickness of it and so on. From what I have heard of the album so far, I have no complaints. "Kick Drum Heart" is pretty impressive. Anyway, FYI for all you Avett fans.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I got home and tonight listened to the new album on vinyl. I hate to be that guy who listens once and gives an opinion (it isn't fair/but here I go). After one spin, nothing but disappointed . Now this one had some expectations for me, and Emotionalism and the two Gleam EPs had me loving this band more than any other band going these days. I wanted a fast forward button and I wanted to not be preached at anymore. Maybe I'm having a bad night or something, but with the exception of "I and Love and You", "January Wedding", "Kick Drum Heart" and "Laundry Room" I was completely underwhelmed. Wow, to think of how many songs on Emotionalism instantly killed me, and this left wanting some songs to stop. Man this has been a rough year for music. Am I getting old?

Although I didn't absolutely love it upon first listen, I definitely liked it more than many that have expressed distaste.

That said, I really like the album now. It doesn't hit Emotionalism or 4 Thieves for me but it's right in the ballpark with the rest to my ears. The more I listen, the more I seem to like it.

I'm (of course) going to give this more spins, and I hope it grows. And my concern is not with the big label crap or the polished sound. The Gleam 2 (which I feel was pretty polished and alot of ballad/slower material is one of my favs). And I lived through the backlash with Wilco around the time of Summerteeth, so this isn't about that for me. I just think (upon first listen) that the songs just weren't as immediate or astounding. Emotionalism literaly floored me and that just doesn't happen much anymore. Who knows!

you're not alone nodep... it very well might be my least favorite full length of theirs yet (definitely doesn't touch Mignonette (easily my fave), Carolina Jubilee, or Country Was). not to say it sucks... far from it. but even the great 4-5 songs on the record area kind of ruined by the production and arrangements.

it's just nearly the opposite of the reasons i got into the band a couple years ago. way too much piano driven songs, not enough banjo, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

This album is the first time I have ever heard these guys and if this is their weakest album to date as seems to be the general concensus, then I'm excited for their other stuff cause I love this album. Where should I start?

It definitely isn't their weakest album to date. Quietest maybe. I've got my beefs with it but it's a good record. Lyrically one of their better albums me thinks.

I'd recommend Emotionalism as the place to start. Four Thieves, Mignonette and Carolina Jubilee are also great (in that order for me).

This album is the first time I have ever heard these guys and if this is their weakest album to date as seems to be the general concensus, then I'm excited for their other stuff cause I love this album. Where should I start?

First of all, keep the "weakest album to date" in perspective. These guys are top notch, especially live. So, yes I'm truly disapointed in this new record but trust me, that is all relative. I would start with "Emotionalism". This record has everything and is just gorgeous lyrically. Go find an mp3 of "Weight of Lies" and you'll be floored.

yeah, i wouldn't use "weak" to describe the album, just most mainstream and poppy and not as interesting/original instrumentation wise. i'd agree there's some nice lyrics on it.

i'd recommend the first Gleam EP honestly, that's what got me into them first. Backwards Through Time especially.

after that, Mignonette, Carolina Jubilee, & Emotionalism.

yeah, i wouldn't use "weak" to describe the album, just most mainstream and poppy and not as interesting/original instrumentation wise. i'd agree there's some nice lyrics on it.

i'd recommend the first Gleam EP honestly, that's what got me into them first. Backwards Through Time especially.

after that, Mignonette, Carolina Jubilee, & Emotionalism.

Awesome, I'll definitely check em out

I'm new to the Avetts too.

I started with the Gleams ("If It's the Beaches" almost had me in tears the first time I heard it), then Emotionalism.

I can't really get in to the others.

It may come though.

I bought my first Avett record (Emotionalism) a month or two ago and I've been pretty much obsessed with it ever since. I am a sucker for banjos and folk-punk ("Pretty Girl From Chile" is just about perfect. Love the

to do the heavy metal coda. Rockin' :rock ).

Not sure what to get next. Gleams? or what?

• 2 weeks later...

"Kick Drum Heart" sounds like it could be a Bishop Allen song. I mean that in a good way.

I just got the album today from Amazon and I really like it. It's the first Avett Brothers album I've purchased and will definitely be going out to get the others. I've always thought "Die, Die, Die" was a great song! Now it's time to take the plunge and get the albums.

I just got the album today from Amazon and I really like it. It's the first Avett Brothers album I've purchased and will definitely be going out to get the others. I've always thought "Die, Die, Die" was a great song! Now it's time to take the plunge and get the albums.

This is my first Avett's album and I feel the same way. I really am excited about discovering thier other albums. My brother is really into them and has tried for years to get me to listen to them.

Well I've been playing this record quite a bit over the last few days and it is growing on me. I have finally figured out my initial dissapointment (and some of that still stands). The Avetts are built on earnestness and sincerity and for some reason this album seems a tad forced and a little cheap in a way. I don't mean that in a terrible way it just sounds like they were trying to be a little cutesy at times. By best example is "Slight Figure of Speech". There is a great melody, kicking tune, and then they throw in the rap/fast talk part which for me just feels cutesy and ruins the vibe of that song. Take "Talk on Indolence" from Four Thieves. That seems completely natural and rocks my butt off. Anyway, I just think this album is a strong effort and I'm enjoying it more and more, but I kind of feel it was a slight miss step.

i totally get what you're saying and feel similarly.

it IS a good album, i'd never argue otherwise, but it just doesn't hit me like their past stuff does, and i def feel the "forced emotion" on a few songs. their stuff was already super drenched in emotion, no need to add anything artificial to it.

I'm new to the Avetts too.

I started with the Gleams ("If It's the Beaches" almost had me in tears the first time I heard it), then Emotionalism.

I can't really get in to the others.

It may come though.

just getting into the Avetts myself and just heard If It's the Beaches for the first time a couple of minutes ago. this song totally slayed me just now and there have only been a few songs that have done that to me upon first listen. can't wait to get into some of their other albums. thanks to this thread, i will avoid the newest one for as long as possible :blush

just getting into the Avetts myself and just heard If It's the Beaches for the first time a couple of minutes ago. this song totally slayed me just now and there have only been a few songs that have done that to me upon first listen. can't wait to get into some of their other albums. thanks to this thread, i will avoid the newest one for as long as possible :blush

"While I go gas up the truck, Pack the old love letters up, we will read them when we forget why we left here"

Damn that song just hits me in the guts every time.

Have you ever tried to make a mix of songs that just make you ball every time you hear them.

1. If It's the Beaches - Avett Brothers

2. I Called You Back - Bonnie "Prince" Billy

3. Still Fighting It - Ben Folds (Have a little boy, and you'll see)

4. Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins Version

5. Fatal Wound - Uncle Tupelo

6. How Do You Keep Love Alive - Ryan Adams & the Cardinals (the most beautiful line ever "I would have held your mother's hand on the day you were born" Or that could be creepy?

There's a start to mine

Have you ever tried to make a mix of songs that just make you ball every time you hear them.

Not to get too far off topic, but this song slays me every time. I have daughters and I am a son, but it still gets to me. "Gracie," the song Ben Folds wrote for his daughter, just doesn't have the same impact, even though I have two of my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that link: my wife and I really enjoyed watching that. They're my wife's favorite new band. She loves the album quite a bit and I really like it too. I never really listened to them before this album. My twin brother has been all about them for years and has seen them a ton of times but he never turned me on to them.

"While I go gas up the truck, Pack the old love letters up, we will read them when we forget why we left here"

Damn that song just hits me in the guts every time.

1. If It's the Beaches - Avett Brothers

2. I Called You Back - Bonnie "Prince" Billy

4. Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins Version

5. Fatal Wound - Uncle Tupelo

6. How Do You Keep Love Alive - Ryan Adams & the Cardinals (the most beautiful line ever "I would have held your mother's hand on the day you were born" Or that could be creepy?

There's a start to mine

Never heard "Still Fighting It" before, just watched the video, it's really sweet.

Being a mom of two boys, Conor Oberst's "Danny Callahan" gets me every time.