Naming my band "World Record Players"

we named ours 'Butchers Blind.'

weve been gigging with it for a few months now, and it feels better than our old band name (the double stops) to me.

but yeah, if you call yourselves 'World Record Players' and dont release a live in japan record, i will be very angry and not support your music. im dead fucking serious.

The world is filled with stupid band names: The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Dr. Dog, Eels, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Pearl Jam. Even Uncle Tupelo and Wilco are kind of dumb names when you REALLY think about them. But if the music is good the name will become numb to people after awhile.

you're off your rocker. The Beach Boys said exactly what they were, dudes who sang songs about the beach, surfin, and girls. Of those names you listed the only one I hate is Dr. Dog.

• 1 month later...

just an update on this topic:

the whole world "logo" thing really isn't a logo. we'll decide on a logo later. for now, i just want to have a poster behind us when we play gigs so people know the name. my friend here at SU is an art major and drew me a really cool picture of the earth playing a trippy keyboard....it's not our logo but a cool picture. yes it's a literal interpretation, but since we're in our early stages it'll help people remember the name.

so it has been two months now with this name and people really dig it. i can't say that it's the most memorable for people, but everyone gives me the SAME reaction when i tell them the name. they're always like, "huh? oh....wow i like that." or something like "....hey that's cool." people think it's neat.

we had our second gig last night and it ROCKED!! people really like us. i've got some videos that i'm eventually gonna get up on the net so you can all check it out. i think we'll stick with this name for now unless we find a better one. it's pretty catchy i think.

A little off topic but does anybody else here get mad when you are in a record store and you're thumbing through looking for Uncle Tupelo albums and there might be 1 but there's like 50 Uncle Cracker CDs? I always think to myself how messed up this world can be.

It's because everyone is buying the UT cds and no one dares to touch the Uncle Cracker concoctions

A little off topic but does anybody else here get mad when you are in a record store and you're thumbing through looking for Uncle Tupelo albums and there might be 1 but there's like 50 Uncle Cracker CDs? I always think to myself how messed up this world can be.

I get mad when I go shopping for a Built to Spill CD and have to look at all those freakin' Jimmy Buffet CDs.

I'm in a solo band with a few mates called 'The Fairweather Friends'. Original? Not really. Accurate? Yup.

My brother was in the hottest punk cover band in country New South Wales, Australia, called the 'Plague of Clowns', covering everything from Pink Floyd to Belinda Carlisle. They thought after a while that 'plague' and 'clowns' were turning prospective venues off, were going to change their name and just broke up instead. I suggested the 'Stiff Sheets' as an alternative?!

• 1 month later...

Those are certainly better. Although I like simple names. In my opinion, the best band names ever:

The Who

The Band

the The

Perfect.

Other names I would like to see:

(if you're going for academic research references):

The Milgram Experiment

It's shorter, more pithy.

Why not just:

Boothroyd Word Lists

or

Topliss and the Word Lists

?

With that second one you have the tease that maybe you have a semineked female frontwoman.

;)