This CD arrived yesterday, to replace my old worn-out vinyl:

51PNVBP5YQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Los Lobos - La Pistola y El Corazón

And, it is hard for me to express how much I love this album.

For that matter, I could say the same about Kiko or How Will the Wolf Survive?

Let's just talk about these guys and how they are (arguably) the most-amazing American band of the last 20 years or so.

Because it's — you know — the right thing to do.

They're one of my favorite bands. I just picked up tickets last week to see them on Halloween.

David Hidalgo is one of my favorite musical geniuses. His tenor is one of the best, and his guitar work gives me goosebumps.

I typically fast forward through the Cesar Rosas songs, but the Hidalgo/Perez tunes are great.

I highly recommend the Hidalgo/Perez side project: Latin Playboys.

They're one of my favorite bands. I just picked up tickets last week to see them on Halloween.

David Hidalgo is one of my favorite musical geniuses. His tenor is one of the best, and his guitar work gives me goosebumps.

I typically fast forward through the Cesar Rosas songs, but the Hidalgo/Perez tunes are great.

I highly recommend the Hidalgo/Perez side project: Latin Playboys.

I like Caesar's tunes, too. Not as much as David and Louie's songs, but they're a nice, gritty counterpoint.

And, I do have the first Latin Playboys disc (which, incidentally, also features Tchad Blake and Mitchell Froom). It's a fun, strange side project... like Los Lobos on a bad acid trip. (I mean that in a good way.)

One of my favorite all time albums with one of my favorite ever songs, Saint Behind the Glass.

0000050350_350.jpg

Only gotten to see one show, and David was very sick with a cold that night. Still put on one of my favorite ever shows.

It's a fun, strange side project... like Los Lobos on a bad acid trip. (I mean that in a good way.)

I prefer their second release, appropriately named "Dose" - and I view them as Los Lobos on a good mushroom trip - not bad!

David Chase must be a big fan too - Los Lobos & Latin Playboys both play over Sopranos end credits at least a couple times.

Yet another band I know is great and I know I need to delve deeper into but never have. I listened to the heck out of Kiko but that is really about it. I saw them do a cover of "Tomorrow never knows" once that blew me away. Fantastic band so thanks for the reminder.

Yet another band I know is great and I know I need to delve deeper into but never have. I listened to the heck out of Kiko but that is really about it. I saw them do a cover of "Tomorrow never knows" once that blew me away. Fantastic band so thanks for the reminder.

I never got into them either. I have read a lot about the band though. They have actually been together since 1973. There have been several of their shows up at bt.etree.org as of late.

Greatest Ever?? Not sure but I sure like them alot. I have seen them a couple times and they are always great. They make great records too, all are good. The Neighborhood is one of the excellent lesser heard albums of theirs.

(Can we talk about the Blasters now who are also one of the greatest American bands ever.)

LouieB

(Can we talk about the Blasters now who are also one of the greatest American bands ever.)

Yes, we can, since Steve Berlin lists both the Blasters and Los Lobos on his resume.

Marie Marie is one of my favorite songs to belt out at the top of my lungs. If they ever had it on karaoke, it would be my go-to song.

Yes, we can, since Steve Berlin lists both the Blasters and Los Lobos on his resume.

Marie Marie is one of my favorite songs to belt out at the top of my lungs. If they ever had it on karaoke, it would be my go-to song.

Exactly.....

Great song.......Los Lobos covered it on a relatively recent EP of covers.....

LouieB

I don't know about the best American band ever, but certainly the most underappreciated American bands of all time. There is not one release that I don't like and I can't really think of another band who has released so much quality over 30 years now. And live...simply one of the best times you will ever have. They will start you rocking, get a little experimental, get you moving with some R&B and then morph into the greatest Mexican wedding band of all time before finishing you off with some mind-blowing covers. I once saw them close a show with "Cinnamon Girl" and "My Generation" back to back. Amazing.

Dave Alvin's new record with The Guilty Women has a great version/cover of "Marie, Marie". Check it out.

I love the Blasters, but they can't even touch Los Lobos musically. No band can.

His version with the Guilty Women is quite good as is the rest of the album. Although you are somewhat correct that they can't touch Los Lobos musically, they had (no longer have, since they are not a going concern anymore) a great career, while Los Lobos carries on. Some of Los Lobos' more recent records are somewhat lack luster however.

LouieB

His version with the Guilty Women is quite good as is the rest of the album. Although you are somewhat correct that they can't touch Los Lobos musically, they had (no longer have, since they are not a going concern anymore) a great career, while Los Lobos carries on. Some of Los Lobos' more recent records are somewhat lack luster however.

LouieB

The Blasters are no more? I thought I saw them come through town (sans Dave Alvin, but everyone else intact) last year? Maybe even last spring?

More or less true about Los Lobos recent records, though I'd put Town and the City in their top 5.

The Blasters are no more? I thought I saw them come through town (sans Dave Alvin, but everyone else intact) last year? Maybe even last spring?

I suppose they still are around, but since Dave Alvin rarely plays with them, I don't think of them as the same gruop. They have not put out an album of new material since the mid-80s. His brother Phil is a hell of a singer though.

LouieB

• 2 years later...

One of my favorite all time albums with one of my favorite ever songs, Saint Behind the Glass.

0000050350_350.jpg

Only gotten to see one show, and David was very sick with a cold that night. Still put on one of my favorite ever shows.

Attention Chicago Area Lobos Fans:

They're playing Park West on June 1. It's a charity event benefiting the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.

They're going to be playing Kiko in its entirety.

Attention Chicago Area Lobos Fans:

They're playing Park West on June 1. It's a charity event benefiting the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.

They're going to be playing Kiko in its entirety.

Damn.

May have to try to make this one if I can.

I just bought Just Another Band from East L.A. from a Half Price books yesterday --- of course when I brought it home to play it, the discs were not in the package, so I will heading back there this afternoon.

This is my first purchase from these guys, my brother has quite a bit of their catalog, though - still haven't gotten around to see them perform, yet.

I just bought Just Another Band from East L.A. from a Half Price books yesterday --- of course when I brought it home to play it, the discs were not in the package, so I will heading back there this afternoon.

This is my first purchase from these guys, my brother has quite a bit of their catalog, though - still haven't gotten around to see them perform, yet.

I've seen them at least once a year for the past 15 years, and this upcoming show is definitely the one I've been waiting for. IMHO, Kiko is far and away their best album - so to hear it performed live is something I've been waiting for a long time.