Just another band from East LA is fun but not their best work. They have a deep and interesting catalogue.

LouieB

It was kinda of an impulse buy on my part - they seem to play around the Chicago area, quite a bit.

Somewhat recently, Hidalgo mentioned to a press member that he was in the studio with Dylan, again.

Don;t you hate it when the disks are missing. Actually finding a copy of that set isn't so easy. I found one years ago, but I am guessing they didn't sell all that many copies of the reissue.

It's pretty cool that Hidalgo has a steady gig with Dylan. He does a great job with him too. I used to listen to their records all the time. Not so much any more, but they had a great run of albums. Of course they were/are a major XRT artist.

LouieB

Just another band from East LA is fun but not their best work. They have a deep and interesting catalogue.

LouieB

Just Another Band from East LA is a 2 disc compilation, with lots of live tracks. I like it a lot. Lobos is one of my favorite bands, and as Louie says, a deep and interesting catalog. The core have been together over 30 years, so they have that family thing going. Plus, they have David Hidalgo. Always one of my musical frustrations that this band never broke bigger than they have, but the plus side is I still get to see them in bars. But they are very much deserving of a wider audience.

One of mine too. I think they did pretty well for themselves though. They could still be in LA (or by this time broken up) and still playing weddings and other family type events. But they played pretty big venues for a time and certainly got a decent amount of airplay. I would have to think they get okay royalties from their many and varied CDs. But clealry they didn't hit the heights that other bands did.

LouieB

One of mine too. I think they did pretty well for themselves though. They could still be in LA (or by this time broken up) and still playing weddings and other family type events. But they played pretty big venues for a time and certainly got a decent amount of airplay. I would have to think they get okay royalties from their many and varied CDs. But clealry they didn't hit the heights that other bands did.

LouieB

Certainly a little presumptuous on my part to complain for them about their career. For all I know, they're perfectly happy playing bars and clubs. I'd just like to see them rockin the house in the Orpheum or Beacon type venues. I don't recall them playing big venues other than as the opener for someone else (they did a bunch of stadium shows opening for the Dead).

Well I have not seen them play as often as you so really I don't know. First time I saw them was at the Rivera Theater in Chicago and Dave Alvin opened for them. But XRT has played them for years and this was earlyish in their careers and they were a big attraction in Chicago. I have seen them a time or two since and I think at least one was at a large outdoor fest. In any event, careers ebb and flow, and they seem to have done okay.

LouieB

In any event, careers ebb and flow, and they seem to have done okay.

LouieB

They've always been productive, and have a loyal following, and have never wanted for work. They're almost constantly touring, (if not as Los Lobos, Hidalgo and Perez tour together, and Rosas and Hidalgo participate in the regular "Experience Hendrix" thing) and when they're not on the road, they're guesting on others' albums (Hidalgo mostly - on Dylan's and Tom Waits, amongst others) or producing (Steve Berlin does quite a bit).

From what I've read, Hidalgo's influence is all over Dylan's upcoming album.

Their most recent set-lists are hum-drum though. They have such a huge catalog, but it seems they've been playing the same 20 or so songs for a while, which is why I'm excited for the Kiko show - I have never seen them play most of the songs off that album.

NO shit???

LouieB

En español, por favor.

(Something my Spanish teacher always said when I swore in class)

Got through disc one of the East LA set - fun listen. Really enjoyed I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song) - the baritone sounds great. I am not familiar with the original - I imagine I will hear the original someday soon, though.

En español, por favor.

You should have responded, "¡No mames, wey!"

En español, por favor.

Got through disc one of the East LA set - fun listen. Really enjoyed I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song) - the baritone sounds great. I am not familiar with the original - I imagine I will hear the original someday soon, though.

It's from Disney's Jungle Book.

• 7 years later...

Just finished reading "Los Lobos - Dream in Blue" - meh. Came out in 2013 I believe. 

Short book - less than 200 pages. The most interesting part was the "before they were signed" era - about the first half of the book. Then once they start making records, the book just turns into an album by album chronology, which doesn't make for interesting reading. 

One interesting note: Louis Perez says that David Hidalgo is the best drummer in the band. Not surprising. David Hidalgo is the best __________ in the band. 

Yeah, I looked the song up and noticed that - I have 2 1/2 old kid, hence the "I imagine I will hear the original someday soon."

The kid is 10 and I still don't think I heard the original  I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song)  ---- probably did and forgot...

The kid is 10 and I still don't think I heard the original  I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song)  ---- probably did and forgot...

Wait no longer. Louis Prima. 

Christopher Walken does a great job of it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbGgdI5uQ8

I think there's actually 2 versions that Los Lobos have recorded of that song - many years apart. 

One was for a Disney cover compilation that had the Replacements doing Cruella DeVille - great. I forget the name of the album, but Los Lobos was on it too with their first version of I Wanna Be Like You.