Small-bodied guitars

Looking at purchasing a smaller-bodied (like a 00 type) guitar around the holiday season. I've been looking around on the interwebs and traveling around the Chicagoland area trying out different brands in the general 00 style. I have my initial favorites (Santa Cruz H13 and Martin 00-28VS...froggy bottom P12 looks up my alley but haven't played it yet) but my mind is not made up by any standards. Does anybody have any experience in this body style? If so, any recommendations? Let's say 5-6K maximum price point, but doesn't have to be that expensive.

It is very much my humble opinion, but I have found there are, for all intents and purposes, no bad acoustic guitars > 5k (the only exceptions are the ones with excessive bling).

I have not played any of the ones you mentioned, but I own a SCGC D-12 (not small body of course) and it is a ridiculously great guitar. I highly recommend SCGC. Their quality and attention to detail (at least on mine) is unparalleled. I have read that people really love those H-13, but I have not personally played one.

I also have a Martin 000-28H - not as small as your 00-28VS, but it is an awesome picker. I love the rosewood / small body combo. Fantastic note separation when travis picked. (not the best strummer, tho. But I don't suppose you are getting a small body for aggressive strumming). I adore slotted headstocks. The "V" neck takes a little getting used to (from what I have test drived at GC). I suggest trying one out first.

I have never seen a Froggy in person, but it is highly regarded by the acoustic guitar community, it seems (at least according to post at the acoustic guitar forum).

It is very much my humble opinion, but I have found there are, for all intents and purposes, no bad acoustic guitars > 5k (the only exceptions are the ones with excessive bling).

I have not played any of the ones you mentioned, but I own a SCGC D-12 (not small body of course) and it is a ridiculously great guitar. I highly recommend SCGC. Their quality and attention to detail (at least on mine) is unparalleled. I have read that people really love those H-13, but I have not personally played one.

I also have a Martin 000-28H - not as small as your 00-28VS, but it is an awesome picker. I love the rosewood / small body combo. Fantastic note separation when travis picked. (not the best strummer, tho. But I don't suppose you are getting a small body for aggressive strumming). I adore slotted headstocks. The "V" neck takes a little getting used to (from what I have test drived at GC). I suggest trying one out first.

I have never seen a Froggy in person, but it is highly regarded by the acoustic guitar community, it seems (at least according to post at the acoustic guitar forum).

Thanks for the input. That R Taylor is a great looking guitar, I have never run into one in person, but you know that the woods are spectacular.

Right. Not looking for a flat picker. Pretty much just use my bare fingers when I play.

The V-neck is standard on that 00-28VS and I have played around with it. It is a bit odd, but comfortable in a weird sort of way. I really LOVE that guitar. The sound on it, even with the basic Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce, is SO amazing. It projects like I couldn't believe.

I have to admit that the only reason, and it is a bad one, that I haven't jumped on it, is that I have a Martin already. I love it; it is my main player, and I think I may be addicted to the Martin sound.

The SCGC H-13 had a Adirondak Spruce, Quilted Mahogany combo which is beautiful and aggressive. I also tried a couple of Collings in the OM and 000 syles...WOW, but haven't run into a 00 style.

I too really like the slotted headstock, and it would take a fantastic, mind-blowing guitar, for me to not demand that in my 00. Just something cool about it.

• 4 months later...

I just got an 00-21 (martin) so that I can channel my inner Dylan. It's got an adi top and rosewood back/sides. I never considered myself a rosewood guy, but this baby just sings. Of course, the problem with this is that I now want a small bodied mahogany guitar too. Jeff's got a pretty sweet 0-18, of course. Crap!!

Anyway, just weighing in with some love for the 0s and 00s of the world.

I just got an 00-21 (martin) so that I can channel my inner Dylan. It's got an adi top and rosewood back/sides. I never considered myself a rosewood guy, but this baby just sings. Of course, the problem with this is that I now want a small bodied mahogany guitar too. Jeff's got a pretty sweet 0-18, of course. Crap!!

Wow, Matt. This past year seems to have been good to you! Didn't you just fairly recently pick up a d-18 or something like that? Nice work. That's a nice looking guitar, and right up the alley of what I eventually want as well. What year did you get? Did you get it from that Maury's place too? If so, they must love you :lol

I changed gears since I started this thread. I went with a OM style Blueberry in November instead and picked up an electric recently (Eastwood Airline 3P DLX)... ended up SAVING money from what I want... but no more guitars for me for a while.

I've played quite a few small-bodied guitars over the last year or so, and I think when I have saved up enough nickels, I'm going with a Santa Cruz H-13.

Enjoy it. Are you flatpicking with that one, or diving into fingerpicking?

ive had a Martin SWOMGT which was wonderful, an 00-21, and a Gibson b-25...the best small one ive owned so far was, believe it or not, a '65 Gibson LGO...love those things, all mahogany. Sound and look incredible, although theyre build much like elementary school desks... i almost picked up an F-25 not too long ago--pretty cool...

Guest Speed Racer

ive had a Martin SWOMGT which was wonderful, an 00-21, and a Gibson b-25...the best small one ive owned so far was, believe it or not, a '65 Gibson LGO...love those things, all mahogany. Sound and look incredible, although theyre build much like elementary school desks... i almost picked up an F-25 not too long ago--pretty cool...

I've got a '67 Epiphone Cortez, which is kind of the poor man's B-25. Same as this '62 model. I love the damned thing, but I miss the spunk of a bigger body; it's the only acoustic I have right now.

Check out this "road worn" 1957 LGO:

1.jpg

A bargain for $850

Wow, Matt. This past year seems to have been good to you! Didn't you just fairly recently pick up a d-18 or something like that? Nice work. That's a nice looking guitar, and right up the alley of what I eventually want as well. What year did you get? Did you get it from that Maury's place too? If so, they must love you :lol

Enjoy it. Are you flatpicking with that one, or diving into fingerpicking?

Haha, you've got a good memory. Yeah, let's just say that I have been a master rationalizer this past year. I won't get into the specifics about it, but let's just say, I did some very foolish things from a $$ perspective, but I did some very smart things from a :) standpoint. I got the 00-21 from a store near me in NY.

And, yeah, I am diving more into fingerpicking with the 00-21. It's weird, the D-18 is just such a well-rounded guitar, and I really love it. But there's something so perfect about sitting with a smaller guitar on the couch, and fingerpicking some old Dylan tunes. I find that the shorter scale and looser tension on the strings makes it a bit chunky, I dont know how to describe it, when I strum. I have to be a bit more controlled with strumming so I've been focusing on fingerpicking. I suppose that's pretty common with the shorter scale, 12 fret guitars?

As for the dreaded GAS, I swore, as part of my rationalizing, that I would be done for good. But the problem now is that when I sit down to play Mountain Bed or James Alley Blues, I dont have the right guitar. The 00-21 is a bit too rich (from the rosewood?), and the D-18 is closer, but not perfect either. I am not in the market for any more guitars, but let's just say that Vegas isn't setting odds. My wife may (will?) kill me.

Rowboat's pics make me feel better though!

i almost picked up an F-25 not too long ago--pretty cool...

I saw that groovingdan (he used to hang around here) is selling his f-25 over at the acoustic guitar forum if you ever check it out. I am sort of surprised he hasn't posted it here since it's a Tweedy special. I almost bought his a couple of years ago, but he decided to keep it. Great little guitar. 2" nut!

I find that the shorter scale and looser tension on the strings makes it a bit chunky, I dont know how to describe it, when I strum. I have to be a bit more controlled with strumming so I've been focusing on fingerpicking. I suppose that's pretty common with the shorter scale, 12 fret guitars?

Yeah. I'm not the expert on gear, but that shorter scale and lessened tension doesnt react as well to a pick. You don't get that pushback from the strings that a pick needs. The pick kind of sticks to the stings on the lower tension. Makes it more reactive to lighter, touch hence the great compatibility to just your fingers! Prolly sounds nice strumming with just your thumb.

I don't use a pick much anyway, but if you're going to dive into the fingerpicking fairly exclusively on that guitar, give the Martin Marquis Silk and Steel strings a try. They are nicely reactive to the touch and have a nice, even tone.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Guitar Center last weekend and tried out every small bodied guitar, new and used, in the store, except for a few of the highest priced models which were too high on the wall for me to reach.

Not a single one of them sounded worth a damn, and I love small bodied guitars.

The best sounding one I tried was a Taylor, the worst was a Yamaha.

Maybe Guitar Center's acoustic room is set up poorly, or their guitars are not kept in good working order.

I also tried a Gibson Hummingbird, which sounded good, but only in comparison to the others.

Very odd. I was hoping/expecting to play a few real gems.

I went to Guitar Center last weekend and tried out every small bodied guitar, new and used, in the store, except for a few of the highest priced models which were too high on the wall for me to reach.

Not a single one of them sounded worth a damn, and I love small bodied guitars.

The best sounding one I tried was a Taylor, the worst was a Yamaha.

Maybe Guitar Center's acoustic room is set up poorly, or their guitars are not kept in good working order.

I also tried a Gibson Hummingbird, which sounded good, but only in comparison to the others.

Very odd. I was hoping/expecting to play a few real gems.

I have found this statement to be true every time I step in to GC.

jff, which were the ones that you played that you didnt like?

Yamaha Folk (Most Yamahas I've tried were impressive, so this, although it super cheap was the biggest disappointment)

Martin X-series 000X1 (tried two of these, neither were impressive. None of the Martin's I've tried have ever worked for me, so I wasn't surprised. I'd priobaly have to go into the $2000+ range to find a Martin I like.)

Epiphone Masterbuilt (not a small body, felt a lot heavier and stiffer than any acoustic I've ever played)

Taylor 214 (pretty nice sound, but not even in the same universe as the old Taylor 410 I used to own, and regret parting with)

I also tried a used Gibson (a '60s I think, it was beat to hell, sounded dead) and an old Alvarez.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

My Blueridge has all of these models beat. Unfortunately, it's beginning to fall apart.

• 4 weeks later...

I had another question on this subject for you guys... In doing my research on my need for a 00 sized guitar, I have come to realize that it is going to be too expensive for me this year to buy (everything I want is at least 4K :o . SO... instead of saving up in advance for my 00, I am going to blow my stash on a parlor (0) sized guitar of more modest pricing. I have been looking around, and have settled on a surprisingly wonderful guitar for the money. It is a 0 Blueridge with sitka to and rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard, and even abalone inlays. MAN, this thing sings for a little guitar. Anyway, I got the price down to $1000 cash out the door, including tax, set-up, new strings and a hard case.

I pick it up on Wednesday, cuz he was going to do set-up and buff the body. So, I haven't paid for it yet, so it's not too late to back out! I wanted to see if any of you have any opinions on this guitar, or Blueridge in general. They seem to be vastly underpriced guitars for the nice solid wood construction.